Those black crashbars

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by scooby0048, Oct 9, 2014.

1. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

On the newer 1000's, they are equipped with those black bars that resemble a roll cage down by the heater blower. I'm not tall but average size of 5'9" and I find these bars extremely awkward to use when I exit the PC. To maintain 3-point contact, I find myself leaning and almost having to step sideways out of the car which I find a little unsafe. Getting into the car they are nice and offer a lot of support.

On our cars we do not have external or A-frame mounted handhold I really dislike trying to grab that black bar everytime I get out of the car. I don't grab the door to exit as I did that once and the door came sliding closed and I almost lost my hand and biffed it face first. Do any of you taller guys (or average height) have any problems with that bar or am I just imagining all this?

CHALLY9TX Active Member

No problems here. There should be a handle on the PC besides that black bar you're talking about. If not then write it up and have the mechanics install one.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  3. Future

Future Well-Known Member

OK i will say it........Just be glad you have a new truck.....I still have one with wood shelves!! lol
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

......Why must you point out their color?? Seems a bit racist to me.

I loved that area, I could strap my radio in there nicely, so the music filled the cab and as a bonus, I used it to step up into the cab.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I don't even have shelves !
  6. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

I call it "the knee whacker". If you are tall, you leg can hit it if you pivot just right. A piece of padding would help but that ain't gonna' happen.
  7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It wouldn't be too hard to wrap that bar in pipe insulation. I would rather they cushion the metal support around the driver's seat.
  8. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

There should also be a handle. If not ask the mechanic to add one or use the door as contact when exiting. That bat is good for getting into the PC but that's all.

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

No new handles on new cars will be installed unless we get approval from the higher ups in Automotive.
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

There is no need for any additional handles.

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Padding is a possibility if something suitable can be provided. I haven't heard any mention of any difficulties in my area.
  12. UpstateNYUPSer

...nor have I but I could see where you could wrap some of that styrofoam pipe insulation around the biggest concern is the metal seat support...
  13. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

I don't even have a seat! I have to stand while driving.
  14. Bottom rung

Bottom rung Active Member

Step down backwards. Facing the stairs while holding handrail with right hand. You must pivot before the step otherwise you will hit your knee.

CHALLY9TX Active Member

A lot of the pcs in our building do have pipe insulation wrapped around that metal support around the drivers seat.

Sent using BrownCafe App

CHALLY9TX Active Member

That sucks. The mechanics here would install one in a heartbeat.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  17. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

neither do i,,but I do have ac !!
  18. scooby0048

next you'll tell me you have to start it like the Flintstones...both feet out with Fred and Betty pushing!
  19. scooby0048

Don't feel bad my other car doesn't have shelves either...

20. scooby0048

I suppose you also have a CB and air ride seats...tomorrow you'll wake up and realize you're still in package and it was all a dream!