$ Tips for Preloaders at XMAS

Foamer Pyle

I am really on the fence about tipping a co-worker. And I do not feel bad about the gap between their pay and mine. Loading is a part-time job, and the pay should reflect that. Sure its tough work, but its still part time, and there will always be part-time jobs at UPS.

Griff

I have 4-6 misloads every single day of the week. Let me think about the tip I should give to my preloader.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When I have a regular loader, I try to get the guys in the loop together, and give them at least 100$. And I try to get it to them a litle before Christmas. Whats 25 bucks at Xmas? Less than 1/2 hr of OT. To a person who can make or break your day. Its just common courtesy where Im from. Besides, a friendship of sorts also develops, unless one of you is a jerk.
And the mechanic, a case or bottle of his favorite beverage.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I first started as a seasonal, I promptly crashed and burned on the road.
Then I switched over to preload. I figured preload must've been easy since it was **** pay. It wasn't. I worked hard for very little, for a long time.
Many preloaders get bitter toward drivers because they work hard for very little. When drivers are bringing in $27/hr and loaders are barely scraping by at $10/hr (if you're lucky you get 20 hours a week) it can become very difficult to understand that "we" all are working together for the greater good.
IMHO if you throw your preloader a bone of prime rib now and again, your life may become a lot easier.
I agree, appreciation should be shown to your colleagues. I just find slipping them a $20 is sleazy and extremely condenscending. A gift card, wine, chocolates, coffee & donughts for the whole crew is a way nicer and a much safer gesture than a fiddy into the breast pocket.

It's not my fault that I may happen to make $17 more an hour than this person. (at my centre, the gap between top wages is $10). I'm not the person who decided this, and I'm not the one who created the collective bargaining agreement. To say that I have some sort of moral obligation to give a cut of my wage to a co-worker is preposterous. I'll stick to a kind gesture.

What do you mean about the "standard package"? Do you mean dropping off ground when you del an air? If so, why wouldn't always del ground when you have airs at the same stop?
I did a mall, so air would be on one side of the pcar and standard on the other. I wasn't permitted to piggyback standard with air, as it's committed to end of day and I do a pickup run anyways.

disneyworld

When I have a regular loader, I try to get the guys in the loop together, and give them at least 100$. And I try to get it to them a litle before Christmas. Whats 25 bucks at Xmas? Less than 1/2 hr of OT. To a person who can make or break your day. Its just common courtesy where Im from. Besides, a friendship of sorts also develops, unless one of you is a jerk.
And the mechanic, a case or bottle of his favorite beverage.
Coca Cola-of course!!!!!!!!!

catra

Last year one of my drivers gave me 25 bucks. This year I have had so many different drivers. . .so I don't think any tipping will be happening.

6 yrs. to go!

Phila. District
:cool: I have a great kid loading my car, plan on buying him a watch cuz he's always asking me the time. Clothes are always ripped so he's getting a pair of jeans and since he is not 21 yet $25

DS

Fenderbender
I did a mall, so air would be on one side of the pcar and standard on the other. I wasn't permitted to piggyback standard with air, as it's committed to end of day and I do a pickup run anyways.

I dont understand this at all.Its the opposite of efficiency.Why would they not permit you to be more efficient?Sometimes I get up to 35 noon commits,if I didn`t deliver air with ground,I`d end up with 35 unnecessary stops.Unless your air stops were in a different area than your ground it doesn`t make sense.Am I missing something?
Staying on topic....kinda....
Mike,if you let hoser deliver his air and ground together you`ll save 2 hours overtime a day~

DS

Fenderbender
ok so I was mixing my threads...I used to give mine all the wine and liquor I got as gifts from my pickups,but she quit.The only good one I ever had.Now a fellow driver is doing it and although the loads are near perfect,I aint givin him nuthin`.I`m jealous that he gets to start at 6 and he`s home by 6.

oldpaddy

I agree, appreciation should be shown to your colleagues. I just find slipping them a $20 is sleazy and extremely condenscending. A gift card, wine, chocolates, coffee & donughts for the whole crew is a way nicer and a much safer gesture than a fiddy into the breast pocket.

:cough: cheap bastard :cough:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I think the preloader after PAS is even more important. Before you didn't know what you couldn't find. Now it bothers you all day if you can't find it. My loader is 100% every day and when you have 400 plus pieces that's important. He will be nicely compensated this year even though he probably makes close to what I do after 20 years. BM

LKLND3380

It's not my fault that I may happen to make $17 more an hour than this person. (at my centre, the gap between top wages is $10). I'm not the person who decided this, and I'm not the one who created the collective bargaining agreement. To say that I have some sort of moral obligation to give a cut of my wage to a co-worker is preposterous. I'll stick to a kind gesture.

I would be happy IF a driver bought me a $2.00 Mc Donald's Sausage & Egg Bisquit each morning the week before Christmas... I think the Sausage and Egg is $2.00 maybe less? but that should be around $20 for the week UNLESS you want a Coke or O.J. to go with that...

LKLND3380

:cool: I have a great kid loading my car, plan on buying him a watch cuz he's always asking me the time. Clothes are always ripped so he's getting a pair of jeans and since he is not 21 yet $25

I purposly do not wear a watch because I know it would get banged up going in/out of a package car...

benschreivogel

When I was a preloader. One of my drivers always gave me a bottle of Jack. the others would give modest cash tips raging from 10 to 20 bucks. I always did my best loading. but honestly I was much more willing to take there special load request against PAS and management for their generosity. If I had a dick driver he or she got loaded stictly to PAS designation. Sad that that would be considered less desirable.