To those who DIDN'T attend their contract meeting...

Overpaid Union Thug

Most people I talked to, don't like they way they are treated at our Local. They don't like the praise Obama setting. They don't like their questions not being answered, or 2 opposing answers given to 2 different people.

Most feel like it isn't going to do any good anyway, they just accept what is given to them. That their vote wont count, and they are afraid if voted down it will get worse for the TA.

Some also do not want to make waves, then get less of representation if needed later down the road...

Yep!

I can't stand the "praise Obama setting" either. I will never understand why unions blindly support democrats seeing how they have done NOTHING to help labor. But then again.....they shouldn't nor should republicans. Or any other "party" for that matter. With that said......no one should let something like that stand in their way. Go and be heard. Or at least be present. But like I said earlier......the meeting everyone should attend is the contract proposal meeting. The recent meetings to discuss the TA are kind of a moot point.

BrownFlower

I can't stand the "praise Obama setting" either. I will never understand why unions blindly support democrats seeing how they have done NOTHING to help labor. But then again.....they shouldn't nor should republicans. Or any other "party" for that matter.
Couldn't agree more. This "pick a team and stand by them no matter what" mentality couldn't be more counterproductive.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What was the mood, if you don't mind me asking?

I was at both 728 meetings in Atlanta and I am guessing about 150-200 in attendance at each. That is a poor turnout in my opinion, contracts don't come along that often. We basically went over article changes, not sure of a general mood of those in attendance. It was mostly drivers and just a few part timers. In the parking lot after the meeting, some long time job stewards were complaining about the poor contract language.

bogeyball

It's apparent that for 407 is a fanboy.... but I think his rant has highlighted what is precisely the problem with the Union today.
We have become so inoculated to the way most Americans must live their lives... well guess what, we are on our way... in a small way, to realizing those same struggles. And here's the irony, it comes from the same union leadership that 407 so warmly defends.
That leadership doesn't elect itself Bogeyboy. They get elected from the ranks. You want to blame anyone for any perceived injustice or deficiency, get a good look in the mirror. Step up all-star and put your name on a ballot.
407 works for his members everyday right out front and in the open! Where do you hide?
Says he..... Slurp, slurp.
What a joke! Yippee, you win the spirit award!

All Day

Our local gave us a whole 4 days notice that there was going to be a meeting. How do they expect people to show up when they don't even give up a proper notice???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our local gave us a whole 4 days notice that there was going to be a meeting. How do they expect people to show up when they don't even give up a proper notice???

You could schedule it a month in advance and people still don't go.

UPS is only required to give 3 days notice on any schedule change greater than 1 hour yet somehow we all show up to work on time.

stink219

You could schedule it a month in advance and people still don't go.

UPS is only required to give 3 days notice on any schedule change greater than 1 hour yet somehow we all show up to work on time.
Is that how it is in your building? We get 7 days notice in RI. Seems to be different everywhere.