Transportation Costs/ Fuel, Taxes, etc.

W

wkmac

traveler,
If you get the chance tomorrow (Sunday) check out a program called Trucks on Spike TV, I still call it TNN, as the host does a show on biodiesel using spent cooking oil and shows how you can make the stuff at home for about 70 cents a gallon. No mods. to the engine, just pour and go and he makes up 20 gallons and takes a Dodge diesel pickup through the paces with the stuff.

Very interesting show to watch if you have the chance.

T

traveler

wkmac,

Thanks for the heads up on this program. I just programed my Tivo to record it. Today is a busy day since we leave for Tahiti tomorrow. I will probably watch it when we return in two weeks and will let you know what I think.

W

wkmac

Sounds good traveler. Enjoy the trip to the South Pacific. I've heard several people say that part of the world is just awesome. It's like leaving the planet and all it's troubles without leaving the planet. LOL!

T

traveler

I'll never complain about gasoline prices here. In many of the islands in the South Pacific the price is $7.00 or more per gallon!

wkmac,

That part of the world is all you have heard and MORE. If it weren't so remote there would be Americans with condos everywhere. Thank God it is so remote.

The Tahitian Princess at anchor in Moorea, by far one of the most beautiful islands.

W

wkmac

If I lived in that part of the world I'd either walk or pedal a bike. Who would want to ride in a car having obstructed viewing lines and moving to fast while passing such beauty? You are right that if Americans got ahold of this area they'd screw it up with condos, interstates and traffic jams.

Beautiful pics and thanks for posting them. I'll bet going down there and getting far removed from our crazy world was a super stress reduction. That in itself would be worth the price of admission but it'd take a ton of will power to leave it when the trip ended. Or would that be stupidity?
lol.gif

T

traveler

Sure sounds promissing! 10,000 mpg now that's fuel economy. Now if they can just get it to go 70 mph or so, even at half or a quarter of the mpg...

O

ok2bclever

It would work well as a commute vehicle.

Get you prepped for the pressure.
biggrin.gif

W

wkmac

traveler,
Good article I just read.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050814/D8BV9N2G0.html

To be honest, this is probably a more realistic solution for now but sounds like many of the powers that be don't want to go that way. Good part about this solution is battery technology should only get better and even if hydrogen does come to pass which would you rather have, a 25 mph vehicle or a 100 mph vehicle. Even "if" hydrogen is cheaper and that's no guarantee I'd still rather use less and pay less.

W

wkmac

Traveler,
There's a link to an energy conference sponsored by Congressman Bartlett of Maryland which I watched on C-Span2 this morning. Can't find a rebroadcast date but here's a link to the Congressman's website concerning the conference.

The presentations were very good and nothing was off the table so for example you'd hear one speaker pro hydrogen or solar and wind and then another who would say otherwise. IMO worth the time to watch if you get the chance. All speakers gave you something to think about but there is no doubt we are seeing the building of a huge problem that we may yet have faced up to really having.

S

susiedriver

wkmac,

I've followed this thread, but am not up to speed in a lot of areas.

I understand that the ruling party is trying to get legislation passed under the guise of 'Katrina Relief' that will eliminate all federal funding for energy conservation, the "Energy Star" program, energy efficient vehicles, hydrogen vehicles, high-speed rail, light rail and all federal loans to grad students, among other programs.

You're in Georgia, aren't you? What do you and your neighbors think of the fuel holidays for schools? My friends in GA think it is absurd.

You may be right, electric may be the way to go for most vehicles. With the price of oil nearing $70/barrel, coal (which provides a lot of our electricity) is becoming a viable alternative fuel. Wind power for electric generation is now also competitive with $70 oil. Solar may become a choice for some areas in the near future. ASU is doing some fantastic work in that area.

Electric cars can be wicked fast too!

In the meantime, ask , no tell your congress person to oppose any emergency aid that increases our dependence on foriegn oil by lessening incentives for alternative energy sources.