Travel advice

DS

Fenderbender
Here's my review of our Dominican Republic trip.
We stayed at the majestic colonial.
Our room was really nice.If you plan to go here,the all inclusive is pretty good.
The buffet,that is open most of the time is vast...although limited.
The fire took out the seafood/steakhouse beach restaurant.and if you wanted to have a meal
on the other side (majestic excellence) you could reserve a restaurant there.
It was a bit over the top commercial for my liking.You could take $100 American in $1 bills,
and still come off as generous.I went on 1 venture to swim with dolphins on a bus that I thought the drive train was going to fall out of.It poured rain and everyone with I phones and cameras were freaking out because it leaked like a sieve.The countryside is filthy with plastic bottles and crap everywhere.Most locals have a weapon of some sort (machete,rifle,knife)on their belt.It was weird,but they seem to appreciate the tourists with a hearty
hola and a big smile.I never got sick,but a few of the people we were with did.I made the mistake of drinking a lot of their coffee.You are not supposed to drink the tap water,brush your teeth and no singing in the shower.
ok enough about that.The beach was a bit crowded but it was pretty busy to find a talapa to hide under.
The beach vendors offered (fake) Cuban cigars ,jewellery,carvings and twice cocaine.Both times the coke offers came as I stood alone on the beach,they had official looking staff shirts on.
We got ripped off big time at the luggage counter,at the airport going home,they made us pay $80 for being 4KG overweight.
There was dogs circling our legs,and I did not feel like arguing.
But it pissed me off bigtime...then it's a big food court with a Wendys and crap.
$6 for a pizza slice....grrrr I just wanted out of this God forsaken country.
Oh yea ....it seems to rain every day from about 3pm till 4
weirdest part for me was going out at 330 am to our balcony and its warm outside
My biggest piss off was that the beer sucks .They have President and Brama...president tastes a bit better,
but it all sucked and if I wanted to drink I had to drink liquor,which is not really me.
There were tons of Canadians there,I think they should add a microbrewery pub to keep us all happy.

klein

Für Meno :)
Wow Ds ! Never heard anything good about the Domincian Republic, and you confirmed it, again.
Won't ever be my destination.

moreluck

golden ticket member
DS...

I told you that going outside of those resorts wasn't pleasant. K scoffed at it, but now you know it's true.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It is unfair to use one bad experience to justify your lily-white, gated community lifestyle, where the only illegals you see are the ones cutting your grass.

All 6 stops in the Carribean on a cruise is not just one bad experience!!! Yeah, I'm white...is there something wrong with that now??? Reneger!!!

Oh, I forgot, it's the weekend and you need to pick on somebody........well spread it somewhere else, Nancy. You will be called Nancy anytime you respond to me , so if you don't like it, keep your 2nd oath!!!

You have no room to talk about "unfair".

Happy Mother's Day, Nancy

moreluck

golden ticket member
When I want tropical, I'd much rather go to Hawaii. Still sprinkles a lot to keep everything green, but I don't have to leave "the states".....and I can leave the fancy resorts and find familiar stuff like Target, Walmart, Outback and all the popular franchises. There's always something unique that "home" doesn't have.....like rice served at Mickey D's!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My point was why in the world would you travel to a foreign country and never leave the confines of a man-made resort?

I spent a year in Sicily. Many of my fellow servicemen never left the base. I knew that I would have never gone to Sicily on my own dime and vowed to take advantage of the opportunity. I saw many of the same things DS saw (except for the armed civilians). The Sicilians liked to use the side of the road as their landfill. You did not drink the water. Milk came in boxes. The beer sucked. But....

...the natural beauty of the island more than made up for any of this. Where else can you go where there is an active volcano and beautiful beaches within an hours drive of each other? The food was superb and their relaxed lifestyle helped put things in to perspective.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I want tropical, I'd much rather go to Hawaii. Still sprinkles a lot to keep everything green, but I don't have to leave "the states".....and I can leave the fancy resorts and find familiar stuff like Target, Walmart, Outback and all the popular franchises. There's always something unique that "home" doesn't have.....like rice served at Mickey D's!

From what I have seen on "Dog--The Bounty Hunter" Hawaii has more than it's fair share of squalor.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Please, Dog deals only with the scum of the earth....of course that's all you are going to see. Plus you have to look at Beth too!!

When I was a kid and we had company my Mom would always close the doors on those rooms she didn't want them to see.

Life is not always a bed of roses and seeing that which makes us uncomfortable helps us to more greatly appreciate the good fortune we all share.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I saw.........., that's enough and now I choose not to see. My choice!! I don't like beggars flocking around because they prey on all the tourists.....the worst in Granada. They swarmed the beach and disturbed people just tring to relax in the sand. It's not worth the hassle.......kind of like Saturdays & Sundays on BC.