trying to decide ups or school

Deuce

Well I'll chime in as well with my .02 take it for what it's worth

I strongly dislike working for UPS. I have been employed for over 5 years mostly part time, and I just took on a casual driving slot for package cars because I have time now since i finished my degree. At my hub I would still have another 5 years or so for a permenant full time slot to open

UPS started for me as a part time job while at school, well now i need the benefits for my son, wife and me so i am currenlty stuck here.

I have a B.A in geography but I am unable to currently find a job where i will make similar/better money that has respectable health benefits.

Even with my degree, right now, I hate to say it but I am better off at UPS. however, the first chance I get I would jump ship in a second.

true_1_ace

school school school school!!!!!!!!!!!!! youll get a lot more respect there and the hours are better. and dont feel bad about the jump ship thing ,any driver would do that in a heart beat

trickpony1

"....so I am currently stuck here." Don't feel bad, so are a bunch of other people.

".....I would jump ship in a second." Do it as soon as you can so you can recover your losses. Don't wait until you've got 25+ years in and stand to lose any accrued pension:lol: benefits.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
You've invested 7 years of your life into this company, don't take this decision lightly. Your complaint of being cold/hot-hot/cold sounds kinda wimpy to me. Nothing like a good workout to keep a body young.

Have trouble sleeping? I keep my room dark and if need tune to some jazz with my headphones on.

Think about school after peak season is over,you'll have ample time to make a clearer decision.

bugman74

I am going to agree with diadlover. I have a degree in Criminal Justice and I hopefully will obtain a slot in the loss prevention dept here at UPS. I put my time at school and I have always valued an education, but sometimes you need to need to figure what is more important to you. I had worked as a jeweler for five years before joining UPS, I was laid off and have not looked back yet. I have a family and three little ones to look after and the benefits that UPS provide are tough to find elsewhere. At your age, those things might not seem that big of a deal, but trust me, they are. I just read an article that says 9 million Americans that earn around 35k a year are either not insured or underinsured. Think about what you are really unhappy with and go from there. I never thought I would want to be a driver, but knowing that the paycheck will be there and so will the health insurance is a good feeling.

Sean

When most people come to UPS, they have no intention of making it a career. It is a part time job to get them through school or provide provide benefits their other job does not.
What happens is they start making a better wage and their lifestyle begins to match their pay and eventually they can't afford to take any pay cut at all and still pay their bills, so they are stuck at UPS, because entry level anywhere else will not cover their expenses. After a few years they lose hope in pursuing their dreams and resent UPS for paying them so well yet expecting so much in return.
My advice is to live well below your means, whatever your wage. Don't go into debt for anything. Pay cash if you have to have the toys. Then when you decide what it is you want to do, you can actually do it, not just wish you could.
There is nothing more freeing than knowing you can walk away from your job at any time and not be afraid about feeding your family.

R

rocketman

do what heart tells you you should not give up your house and every thing you worked for good luck

A

Al Anon

Depends on what type of job would make you happy. If the job that would make you happy requires a degree, then get one sooner rather than later.

I am a mid-level software programmer at Corporate. Got hired in off the street at a Supervisor level and have been promoted twice in 4 years. I could never have had the previous job experience that I have without my degree and could never have been hired in off the street at such a level without a degree.

Also, the IT job market is really good in this area. What that means is that I'm not having to work the 45+ hours that operations supervisors work every week. If I was ever pressured to work more than that on a regular basis, I would just leave the company. My previous company started laying off people several years ago and it took me all of 3 weeks to have a couple of job offers including the offer from UPS.

Deuce

When most people come to UPS, they have no intention of making it a career. It is a part time job to get them through school or provide provide benefits their other job does not.
What happens is they start making a better wage and their lifestyle begins to match their pay and eventually they can't afford to take any pay cut at all and still pay their bills, so they are stuck at UPS, because entry level anywhere else will not cover their expenses. After a few years they lose hope in pursuing their dreams and resent UPS for paying them so well yet expecting so much in return.
My advice is to live well below your means, whatever your wage. Don't go into debt for anything. Pay cash if you have to have the toys. Then when you decide what it is you want to do, you can actually do it, not just wish you could.
There is nothing more freeing than knowing you can walk away from your job at any time and not be afraid about feeding your family.

Thats basically how 90% of the people I know who don't like working for UPS got "trapped"

hoser

Industrial Slob
freakin' school, dood!

better yet, cut your hours while you go to school and get UPS to pay it. then go for a higher position with them (sales, corp office, etc)