Underdispatch Or Over 10 Hour Writeups

W

westsideworma

really interesting, thanks for the insight

perhaps PAS should sort to zip code, the micro-sorting should be done by humans. i'm pro technology, but you can't technologize everything.
example:
United axes troubled baggage system at Denver airport
and if you're even more interested:
http://ardent.mit.edu/airports/ASP_papers/Bag System at Denver.PDF

at least they will admit it didn't work....UPS will never do that, at least it doesn't appear that way. Why do that when you can blame the hourlies? :lol:

if there was a way to integrate it with the shipping label (I know its probably not possible) that may be different, but even then I'm not sure as the "flipping" problem may still not be solved that way.

hoser

Industrial Slob
at least they will admit it didn't work....UPS will never do that, at least it doesn't appear that way. Why do that when you can blame the hourlies? :lol:

if there was a way to integrate it with the shipping label (I know its probably not possible) that may be different, but even then I'm not sure as the "flipping" problem may still not be solved that way.
Isn't it already integrated into the shipping label? The barcodes have the service level in it, and the 2d barcodes have lots more information, including zip code.

Automatically sort xxxx1-xxxx4 to one area, xxxx5-xxxx9 to another.
Then either manually or automatically sort packages to xxxx1, xxxx2, xxxx3, xxxx4. Then within those 4 sorts, do a micro-sort. FedEx had the same system, and the people who preloaded the trailers were the couriers themselves. I would go on routes into areas I've never been to in my life, and I was able to load up trucks without issues. And then at night, when sorting outbound, we'd do the same thing. We had routing codes, too, which reduces mis-sorts dramatically. If you mis-sorted something, you'd hear about it. Something that doesn't happen here.

This is exactly what the PAS system does too, but the micro-sort is done by a computer. Which is just stupid. Way too high probability for errors. You can't under-estimate human judgement. Like DEN realising that gas powered baggage carts operated by humans are even more efficent than baggage trains that can go 80mph, UPS will soon realise that topographical knowledge and intuition are something a computer will never have.

W

westsideworma

Isn't it already integrated into the shipping label? The barcodes have the service level in it, and the 2d barcodes have lots more information, including zip code.

Automatically sort xxxx1-xxxx4 to one area, xxxx5-xxxx9 to another.
Then either manually or automatically sort packages to xxxx1, xxxx2, xxxx3, xxxx4. Then within those 4 sorts, do a micro-sort. FedEx had the same system, and the people who preloaded the trailers were the couriers themselves. I would go on routes into areas I've never been to in my life, and I was able to load up trucks without issues. And then at night, when sorting outbound, we'd do the same thing. We had routing codes, too, which reduces mis-sorts dramatically. If you mis-sorted something, you'd hear about it. Something that doesn't happen here.

This is exactly what the PAS system does too, but the micro-sort is done by a computer. Which is just stupid. Way too high probability for errors. You can't under-estimate human judgement. Like DEN realising that gas powered baggage carts operated by humans are even more efficent than baggage trains that can go 80mph, UPS will soon realise that topographical knowledge and intuition are something a computer will never have.

thats what I meant, the PAS label integrated into the shipping label but I'm pretty sure there is no way to do that...well effectively.

W

westsideworma

what are those 2d barcodes with the bullseye in the centre on the electronic shipping labels then?

I mean the actual PAL...that way it can't get stuck on the wrong box and its back to one label (less chance for a screw up in theory)

hoser

Industrial Slob
I mean the actual PAL...that way it can't get stuck on the wrong box and its back to one label (less chance for a screw up in theory)
ohhh I see now... I'm amazed that it can still get screwed up. Move boxes slowly down one line. Have person standing scan and apply barcode, and to apply to box. Repeat. We used it at FX Express for the customs clearance (every intl package would get a yellow label saying 'cleared' or 'secondary'), and a screw up never happened. But yet again, this is brown, and anything is possible with us.

W

westsideworma

ohhh I see now... I'm amazed that it can still get screwed up. Move boxes slowly down one line. Have person standing scan and apply barcode, and to apply to box. Repeat. We used it at FX Express for the customs clearance (every intl package would get a yellow label saying 'cleared' or 'secondary'), and a screw up never happened. But yet again, this is brown, and anything is possible with us.

well in the beginning it was going slowly enough so it was more accurate (not perfect, but better) however they now run full speed...its tough for them to keep up (I've been in the sort isle, I've seen it). So its a little unfair to them as well to have it going at a reasonable pace, then have our powers that be decide we need to be done sooner so crank up the belts and let the chips fall where they may.:laugh:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
what are those 2d barcodes with the bullseye in the centre on the electronic shipping labels then?
If you are referring to the square "bar" code made up of dots, that is a "UPS Code". This was developed years ago to be scanned at any angle. The "bar code" actually is a hundred digits long, compared to the eighteen digit tracking number we use now. It was designed to hold the shipper number, package ID number, invoice number, and other info if I remember correctly. I think it became outdated by newer scanning devices, I don't know if it is used anymore by Hub scanning equipment. As a driver, I was never trained to scan it while making deliveries. Maybe someone on this Board can elaborate better on this than I can.:cool:

oldster

The "square" bullseye code is called Maxicode or Dense code, and it does hold over 100 characters of information. It is also used "scanned" by systems quite often. It actually was a little ahead of its time, since when it was developed, the equipment to scan it was far to expensive to deploy of a large scale. The cost of the scanners has come way down, and I would be surprized if your preload operation doesn't use at least a couple of 2D scanners. Ususally the head od the Data Acc. trys to scan the dense code and see if the embedded address info will populate on the lookup screen.

DS

Fenderbender

perhaps PAS should sort to zip code, the micro-sorting should be done by humans. i'm pro technology, but you can't technologize everything.

The main reason for PAS is to eliminate the need to think,thereby increasing production.
Here in Canada we are way behind,no PAS yet,we sort things
the old way...by zip code

rngri4

like with any brand new technology (like playstation 3's), the technology is going to suck for the first little bit. then you give it time, and it works out well suitably. don't judge the system's future and purpose based on kinks in the first year.

now why are there misloads? is it because of poor data entry from the client? incorrectly inputted zip code, spelled a street wrong, just typed in "300 maple" when there is a maple st, dr, wy, vw, av, cr, mw, ht, in 4 different corners of a metropolis?
or is it because PAS is reading and assigning zip codes (ZIP codes were invented so USPS could sort their letters and packages) is flawed?

i'm thinking it's the former.

Hoser, one thing you forgot to mention, the electronic OPLD date sent with the package, may not be the same as what is on the label, causing a flip label, and a misload.

LKLND3380

The main reason for PAS is to eliminate the need to think,thereby increasing production.
Here in Canada we are way behind,no PAS yet,we sort things
the old way...by zip code

I sort by the number on the worldship label not by zip code... NO TIME TO BE SITTING THERE READING ZIP CODES

In this case it would go on belt #2

We olny have three belts so I just look for 1, 2, or 3... VERY SIMPLE AND FAST...

LKLND3380

like with any brand new technology (like playstation 3's), the technology is going to suck for the first little bit. then you give it time, and it works out well suitably. don't judge the system's future and purpose based on kinks in the first year.

We have been on it for three years now and it does allow someone to help another preloader load their trucks if they are blown/stacked out. 1000 go here 7000 go here... When I am in another city visiting family, I can look at a sequence number and tell where it should have been loaded on a package car. I can also guess at the approx time it was delivered...

now why are there misloads? is it because of poor data entry from the client? incorrectly inputted zip code, spelled a street wrong, just typed in "300 maple" when there is a maple st, dr, wy, vw, av, cr, mw, ht, in 4 different corners of a metropolis?
or is it because PAS is reading and assigning zip codes (ZIP codes were invented so USPS could sort their letters and packages) is flawed?

i'm thinking it's the former.
BECAUSE OF HEAVY FLOW ON THE BELT.... TOO MUCH OF AN OPTIMUM CARRY...
When you have heavy flow it increases the chance of stepping into the wrong car...
When you have too many packages in your hands for multiple cars you set the stack down on a shelf and possibly forget one... OR if they are all for the same car maybe have a package out of sequence now the driver has to back track the package that should have been dropped off two hours ago...

Zip codes work in the sense that all the post office needs is the ZIP +4 to deliver a letter with the following:

UPS
29801-4075

Would be deliverable by the post office to the UPS Center in AIKEN, SC with no problem...

Last edited:

LKLND3380

The out of sequence ones (which ARE charged to us) are simply the wrong pal on the box. The SPA people will scan a bunch and put them on the wrong boxes due to a box missing (fell off the side), a double scan, or just plain mental error. However, that throws off most of the packages in that particular batch that was scanned. Since the new hires are trained to look at the pal only, it gets loaded. Hell even people who did it the old way (before the wonderful PAS system) do it as sometimes there just isn't enough time to check it again especially when they're rushing you off the clock (though thats eased up a bit).

Lets not forget sytem lag when the software just takes to long to process... You think maybe I scanned the wrong bar code so you scan again and BAM you have two of the same labels and all of your packages are off until you discover it...

Next we have EXCEEDED RESPONSE TIME when the sytem just decides it needs a rest... now you have missed work and labels are off as well...

Another reason is there simply not enough time to check and recheck for the above mistakes.

That is why you get a TEN MINUTE BREAK...:lol: check during your break... While you are on break pull the ADD/CUT/SPLIT from the 99A car and send it to the 82G car

Under PAS it is called for 180 pph (according to the cards they gave us) which is about average. yes I know there is no standard rate of productivity but I'm just saying what the card they passed out to us said. However in reality they want 200+ and will give you 5 cars to do when you previously had 3 and will blame you for not finishing on time. I don't care who you are, loading 5 cars takes longer than loading 3. You have to cover more ground (I know it doesn't seem like much but to follow "the methods" it is). It is next to impossible to stay ahead of the work area because by the time your cage reaches the last car, the next cage is halfway through the pull already. this pull did 1500-1600 pieces and they seemingly couldn't figure out A. why this preloader (not me) always needed help, B why there were so many misloads (the girl was rushed and harassed for not finishing on time) C figure out why she was so angry with them when they talked to her about it. When she slowed down her misloads went down or disappeared but got hassled for not wrapping....you can't win. I'm sorry but before PAS this was never an issue save for maybe when you were a newbie, after you learned your charts you were set.

Card they passed out???:confused:1 What is this witchcraft you speak of? Maybe that is part of the UPS training that never seems to happen?

YES loading FIVE cars takes longer than loading THREE cars BUT those five cars are very LIGHT... That is a FAVORITE supe quote... One day a guy was off (OPTION DAY) it took a part time belt supe AND a full time supe AND a preloader to load those VERY LIGHT PACKAGE CARS... The should have just called in the drivers to load their own cars...

What is a cage??? We just have a belt that we pull from and load our cars...
12130607441xz1.jpg

I'm not saying it isn't a useful tool...it very well could be eventually, but at least from what I can see, its not there yet.

Also I have other friends that work at different hubs/centers that have been on it for over 2yrs and they STILL have misload problems. UPS has to realize this system isn't perfect and shouldn't go around pretending that it is. When I hear a manager or supervisor tell me other centers don't have these problems I laugh because I know it is garbage (isn't the internet wonderful?).

We are made to feel that THIS IS THE ONLY CENTER where preloaders misload and stack out. We have one guy who has gone 13 months without a misload... The one day he had a misload they pulled him and a union steward to have a talk... Then we have some that have two or five misloads each day - they also get the talk as well ...

LKLND3380

The "square" bullseye code is called Maxicode or Dense code, and it does hold over 100 characters of information. It is also used "scanned" by systems quite often. It actually was a little ahead of its time, since when it was developed, the equipment to scan it was far to expensive to deploy of a large scale. The cost of the scanners has come way down, and I would be surprized if your preload operation doesn't use at least a couple of 2D scanners. Ususally the head od the Data Acc. trys to scan the dense code and see if the embedded address info will populate on the lookup screen.

We have six scanners designed to scan the bullseye and it does help reduce BLANK LABELS because there is more information.

Now that we have a PAL on the box and it gets on the proper car... The problem is the bar code on the package is not always readable by the DIAD so now the driver must input manualy. On the old scanners if it was an unreadable bar code the Data Acc would print out a new bar code.

SOLVE ONE PROBLEM TO CREATE ANOTHER...