Union Strike!

satellitedriver

I wasnt aware SD was a picket line crosser. Do you think if he worked in a center and became friendly with his employees he would have crossed it? Do you think if he had a friendship bond with his fellow workers and went to all the affairs (retirement parties,promotional parties-feeder ect) he would have crossed? I dont think so. If he had a first hand view of how UPS treats thier employees with the intimadation and threats I am pretty sure he wouldnt have crossed. Out of approx 2500 employees in my building, only 2 crossed. They both no longer work for the company with 1 leaving from management. The union is only as strong as its weakest link. Its a good thing our chain is strong.
804 mf
I knew everyone by name and had worked with them for 10 yrs. Everyone that crossed at my center still work as drivers. Non have gone into management.
BTW, we never had any parties and I do not let anyone(management or union) threaten or intimidate me.

helenofcalifornia

SD, do you sincerely believe that you would be getting the pay rate you are earning now and the health benefits that both you and your family pay NOTHING for every month, if the TEAMSTERS were not there? I am not gung ho Teamsters (they lost me in the 70s and 80s with the Mafia angle) but I appreciate what they have given me in the way of pay and benefits. Look at Fedex drivers get with their non-union pay and benefits.
And you really crossed the picket line??? The ones that did in our center quit by year's end.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I will reap the benefits of the 97' strike, when I retire with CS. What a sweet deal that will be.
I sleep very well, thank you.
And, I enjoy banking my check especially when I see that the teamsters no longer get any of the money UPS pays me to do my job.

All due respect if i ran the teamsters i would make sure that scabs would not receive any pension retirement, in my opinion you could live in the alleys and in a cardboard box on your morals!

satellitedriver

All due respect if i ran the teamsters i would make sure that scabs would not receive any pension retirement, in my opinion you could live in the alleys and in a cardboard box on your morals!
See Red ,you think the teamsters are the one that pay our retirement.
Wrong.
To bad you have never had to stand on your own two feet and do a job based on your own merit, without a union to protect you.
Using the term morals and teamsters in the same sentence is laughable.
As I stated before, you are more teamster than UPSER.

705red

Browncafe Steward
See Red ,you think the teamsters are the one that pay our retirement.
Wrong.
To bad you have never had to stand on your own two feet and do a job based on your own merit, without a union to protect you.
Using the term morals and teamsters in the same sentence is laughable.
As I stated before, you are more teamster than UPSER.
Better hurry up and retire before i make a run at the office!

satellitedriver

SD, do you sincerely believe that you would be getting the pay rate you are earning now and the health benefits that both you and your family pay NOTHING for every month, if the TEAMSTERS were not there? I am not gung ho Teamsters (they lost me in the 70s and 80s with the Mafia angle) but I appreciate what they have given me in the way of pay and benefits. Look at Fedex drivers get with their non-union pay and benefits.
And you really crossed the picket line??? The ones that did in our center quit by year's end.
Yes,I really crossed.
I do not know what I would earn if the teamsters were not in control of my pension.
I do know I was/am willing to work for what UPS pays me without the yoke of the teamsters around my neck.
PAX

satellitedriver

Better hurry up and retire before i make a run at the office!
Heck no Red,
I'll just stick around and see what you can do.
The teamsters need strong concerned leadership like you, that tries to intimidate scabs.
You seem custom made for teamster management and will have a far better retirement than the average working UPSER, if you win.
Good Luck in your campaign.
POX

over9five

Staff member
"Yes,I really crossed."

SD, that is just sad. You couldn't stand with your brothers for 2 weeks? You can be sure they will never forget (or forgive) that.
The ONE person who crossed our line was always a second class citizen afterwards. The company finally fired him (after peak, of course).

satellitedriver

"Yes,I really crossed."

SD, that is just sad. You couldn't stand with your brothers for 2 weeks? You can be sure they will never forget (or forgive) that.
The ONE person who crossed our line was always a second class citizen afterwards. The company finally fired him (after peak, of course).
Really,
I have many drivers tell me they wish they had the courage to cross.
I stood for 2 weeks, then had had enough of the lies behind the 97' strike.
I quit the teamsters because I realized they (union management) were using Upser's in their own little power game and not to the benefit of Upser's.
I have only 4 brothers and none have ever worked at UPS.
I faced everyone at the line before I crossed and it wasn't to ask for their forgiveness.
You can be sure I will never forget 97' and I will never forgive the teamsters for it.
It is sad that a majority of UPS teamsters still do not know the reasons for 97', except what the union has told them to believe.
Maybe, the guy needed to be fired. But, if he was a loyal dues paying teamster,( no matter how sorry a worker he was) the teamsters would have fought and got his job back.
Now that is great logic.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Heck no Red,
I'll just stick around and see what you can do.
The teamsters need strong concerned leadership like you, that tries to intimidate scabs.
You seem custom made for teamster management and will have a far better retirement than the average working UPSER, if you win.
Good Luck in your campaign.
POX
If you think this is intimidating then you should have tried crossing my strike line in 97. Hey when this agreement comes out how do you plan on getting a copy of it? You dont even have a vote on it since your not a dues paying member, well thats 1 less yes vote!

satellitedriver

If you think this is intimidating then you should have tried crossing my strike line in 97. Hey when this agreement comes out how do you plan on getting a copy of it? You dont even have a vote on it since your not a dues paying member, well thats 1 less yes vote!
I like the way you say "my strike line". I thought you are the one always saying it isn't about me.
How am I going to get a copy of it?
Easily.
I may not vote on it, but I can read it when it becomes available.
So, you plan on voting NO, even before you have a copy of it?
Big Daddy Hoffa has put his seal of approval on it, so most teamsters will vote for it.
The last thing you could do is intimidate me.
Run for office and show me what you can do.
POX

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Oh helen, you are soooooo right. Just ask non-union oms and office staff how much their last few raises have been.....its pitiful. Anyone thinking this would be a better company without the union is insane. This company couldnt get anyone to drive for them making 12 bucks an hour. This company cares about one thing.....and its not its employees, that has been made perfectly clear with its "fire first, ask questions later" stance on EVERYTHING. Anyone who thinks this company cares about you is dilusional. Yes there might be a sup that is nice and tries to make this company a decent place to work, but overall the mindset is the same. Do it this fast, do it this way, no questions asked, dont listen to customers, dont listen to employee ideas...period.

over9five

Staff member
You know, I tried to let it pass but these lines bothered me...

"I have many drivers tell me they wish they had the courage to cross."

I doubt that. The people who had courage were the men and women who walked the line, unsure of how a strike would affect their families AND their livelihoods. The .3% who crossed the lines took the easy way out.

"It is sad that a majority of UPS teamsters still do not know the reasons for 97', except what the union has told them to believe."

So the .3% who crossed the lines know some top secret reason for the strike, and the 99.7% of us who held true are obviously stupid. I think maybe you say this as an excuse to make yourself feel better about your actions.

"I have only 4 brothers and none have ever worked at UPS."

Agree with that. You stabbed all your UPS brothers in the heart. You walked the line for two weeks. Do you ever think that if you had made it three more days, you'd still have your self-respect?

satellitedriver

You know, I tried to let it pass but these lines bothered me...

"I have many drivers tell me they wish they had the courage to cross."

I doubt that. The people who had courage were the men and women who walked the line, unsure of how a strike would affect their families AND their livelihoods. The .3% who crossed the lines took the easy way out.

"It is sad that a majority of UPS teamsters still do not know the reasons for 97', except what the union has told them to believe."

So the .3% who crossed the lines know some top secret reason for the strike, and the 99.7% of us who held true are obviously stupid. I think maybe you say this as an excuse to make yourself feel better about your actions.

"I have only 4 brothers and none have ever worked at UPS."

Agree with that. You stabbed all your UPS brothers in the heart. You walked the line for two weeks. Do you ever think that if you had made it three more days, you'd still have your self-respect?
Everything I posted is true.
I will not get into any banter over it.
I am in too good a mood.
After going thru a couple of tests this week, I found out today I do not have colon cancer.
I went thru it with my mother and watched my grandmother die a slow death from it.
So, these kinds of conflicts have very little importance to me.
Y'all sort it out and decide what you think is best for everyone and I will live with it.
PAX

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Man, SD, I am shocked that you crossed the line. Did you take down all the mirrors in your house, because I bet it's hard to look at yourself after you sold out the guys you work with every day.

R

retired

You guys claim to be brothers but some of you are just bullies that stab your brothers in the back if they cross the picket line.

UPS driver settles lawsuit against Teamsters
The Trucker News Services

MIAMI -- A United Parcel Service worker has settled a lawsuit against the Teamsters Local 769 after he was allegedly attacked by union workers in a 1997 strike. The National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation represented Roderick Carter in the suit that claimed the Teamsters organized threats and violent acts toward non-striking members.

As part of the settlement, Carter was barred from revealing specific details of the agreement. In the lawsuit, Carter sought an amount in excess of $15,000. Foundation lawyers believe the attack was encouraged by former Teamsters President Anthony Cannestro Sr.

Carter appeared on the evening news August 6, 1999, because he continued to work through the Teamsters strike. That night he received a threatening phone call which phone records allegedly traced to Cannestro's home.

The next day on his route, Carter was allegedly pulled from his truck by five union workers, kicked, beaten and stabbed six times with an ice pick.

Carter filed suit Sept. 1, 1999, against the Teamsters Local 769, the attackers and union officials, accusing them of racketeering, civil conspiracy, assault and battery. Magdiel Dale Perez, a union UPS package driver, said in a deposition that he heard Cannestro Jr. "telling members to take a violent approach to the drivers if [seen] on the street."

Perez said drivers also were told the Teamsters "had bail bonds for anyone who got arrested," as well as legal counsel if charges were brought.

"The main thing about this case is that it does highlight the fact that this type of thuggery and violence is alive today," Foundation spokesman Randy Wanke said. "It shines a light on some of the activities that are taking place at the Teamsters. They are heavy into violence and thuggery to get what they want." The Teamsters Local 769 did not return calls for comment.

By Susy Phillips
Trucker Staff
April 30, 2001
http://www.thetrucker.com/showstory.aspx?id=7377

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Everything I posted is true.
I will not get into any banter over it.
I am in too good a mood.
After going thru a couple of tests this week, I found out today I do not have colon cancer.
I went thru it with my mother and watched my grandmother die a slow death from it.
So, these kinds of conflicts have very little importance to me.
Y'all sort it out and decide what you think is best for everyone and I will live with it.
PAX

serious question about colon cancer, did you have certain signs of cancer or did you go in and do a check just because of your family history...is colon cancer passed down from generation to generation?Glad to see nothing uas found.