UPS, airline mechanics reach agreement on safety concerns

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS, airline mechanics reach agreement on safety concerns - Louisville Business First

Teamsters Local 2727, which represents airline mechanics at United Parcel Service Inc., has reached an agreement with the company regarding a recent safety complaint.

The union filed a legal complaint in November calling on UPS to halt the use of what it believed to be unsafe lifts used by workers to reach the mechanical components of the aircraft.

As a part of the settlement, UPS agreed to inspect malfunctioning lifts, a news release said. The company will retain a third party to investigate the cause of previous lift failures and will establish an inspection regimen to ensure all 107 of the 19-foot lifts are properly maintained and safe to operate.

Gear

Parts on Order
Anyone know how much these guys make? I heard somewhere around $50 an hour. Sounds about right with us around $35. So many rumors here at UPS, like the 8th grade girls bathroom. Any mechanic who gets hurt while using known faulty equipment is insane. You're a mech, its broken, fix it or dont use it. Im sure the faulty equipment was the main excuse for getting out of work. These guys are going to be super crabby once all the equipment is repaired. I would've left out the faulty equipment and milked that excuse until retirement. "Going to have to send that out, lifts are still broke. Where's my newspaper?"

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Anyone know how much these guys make? I heard somewhere around $50 an hour. Sounds about right with us around $35. So many rumors here at UPS, like the 8th grade girls bathroom. Any mechanic who gets hurt while using known faulty equipment is insane. You're a mech, its broken, fix it or dont use it. Im sure the faulty equipment was the main excuse for getting out of work. These guys are going to be super crabby once all the equipment is repaired. I would've left out the faulty equipment and milked that excuse until retirement. "Going to have to send that out, lifts are still broke. Where's my newspaper?"
When I worked at a FedEx ramp, the airline mechanics took their job VERY seriously. I'm sure the UPS airline mechanics are the same way. That's a lot of responsibility riding on their shoulders to make sure those planes are flying. Last thing they should have to worry about is whether the lifts are working or not and whether they will be inured as a result of them NOT working. I could be wrong, but I would bet maintenance on those lifts isn't a part of their jobs.

Gear

Parts on Order
When I worked at a FedEx ramp, the airline mechanics took their job VERY seriously. I'm sure the UPS airline mechanics are the same way. That's a lot of responsibility riding on their shoulders to make sure those planes are flying. Last thing they should have to worry about is whether the lifts are working or not and whether they will be inured as a result of them NOT working. I could be wrong, but I would bet maintenance on those lifts isn't a part of their jobs.

Im sure maintaining lifts is not part of their jobs. But as a mechanic they know its broken, so if they get hurt using the lift its on them. Repair the lift or simple refuse to use it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Im sure maintaining lifts is not part of their jobs. But as a mechanic they know its broken, so if they get hurt using the lift its on them. Repair the lift or simple refuse to use it.

Much like feeder pull times, the planes have to leave on time and these guys do all that can, legal or otherwise, to make sure that happens.