UPS buys 65-acre parcel in Middleburg Heights, in $7.55 million deal for rare undeveloped tract

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS buys 65-acre parcel in Middleburg Heights, Ohio, in $7.55 million deal for rare undeveloped tract - Cleveland.com

United Parcel Service, Inc., has purchased 65 acres of former farmland in Middleburg Heights, snapping up a rare undeveloped property of that size in Cuyahoga County during a busy season for the industrial real estate market.

The publicly traded package-delivery titan paid $7.55 million last month for the land at 6678 Engle Road, according to public records. The property sits just north of UPS's Middleburg Heights small-package hub, located on Englewood Drive, and a stone's throw from international freight operations and other UPS facilities.

A spokeswoman said the company doesn't have a project planned for the site.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sounds like this move may have been made less for future expansion and more for keeping their competitors away from that area.
I worked with UPS Real Estate for a year and a half.
UPS often buys land as an investment.
UPS has made hundreds of millions off buying and selling properties.
Here in Atlanta, UPS sold land on which FedEx built a hub.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Genius.
we have extra land that they wont pave at the hub so we have to rent two extra off site parking lots.. Yep

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When they purchased the property that our local facility was built on they planned ahead by buying more land than was initially needed. Turns out it was a smart move as we have already outgrown our new digs.

When I read the headline for this thread I immediately thought that we made the purchase to hinder any further expansion by Amazon in that area.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
When they purchased the property that our local facility was built on they planned ahead by buying more land than was initially needed. Turns out it was a smart move as we have already outgrown our new digs.

When I read the headline for this thread I immediately thought that we made the purchase to hinder any further expansion by Amazon in that area.
good idea, it could also be a sister site for the nearby hub for us to use while we install automation

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

good idea, it could also be a sister site for the nearby hub for us to use while we install automation

From what I have been told it is an L shaped piece of property. We are currently using the vertical portion, which is perpendicular to the road, and would use the horizontal portion, which runs parallel, if we do expand in the future.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS has always seen land as a good investment. Some of it they may use for future expansions and some of the rest they can end up selling for a profit if they decide they don't need it.