UPS & Cell Phones

I never used my cell phone for work purposes until I moved to a small town.........DON'T CALL ME...I'LL CALL YOU.

20yearvet

I only recently got a cell phone (4 years) and didn't let my boss know I had it for over 2 of them. I spend on average 11 hours per day at work (supervisor) and always assume that if it is 'after hours' I can worry about it the next day. When i was a driver or a drivers supervisor, I didn't have a phone. I went out and found my drivers as necessary. The one exception, which a mentioned before, was when my drivers wife was pregnant and he gave me the number to call when the time came. Otherwise, i consider cell phones to be drivers property and minutes to cost money. I do what I have too, but also realize that sometimes too much is too much (Saturday and Sunday calls).

wornoutupser

I know that there is no real solution to this, but it really irritates me that no one can get in tough with me if my family has an emergency. I work on the inside. We are not allowed to have cell phones, yet there is no one in the office to answer an emergency phone call. I had a fellow employee whose 2 year daughter had a compound fractured arm. It happened about 20 minutes after he arrived to work. His wife was histerical. She tried and tried to call the building, NO ANSWER. He found out about the issue when he arrived at his vehicle after work. I have never seen some one go postal, but he was close. His wife tried to call the building over 25 times. There is no excuse for this, a person should be able to be reached if there is a family emergency.

I had a child poisoned and the center told me that I could not come back to go to the hospital.

I almost ran over my supervisor in the parking lot with my personal vehicle as he jumped in front of me. He was still screaming that I could not go!

This is yet another example of my "Bad Attitude" that I carry. Cell phone or not, family is first and UPS should accomodate the employee in these types of situations.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I can see the reason for the attitide wornout. Hoping that was just a bad team, as I havent had a team lately that would do that, although I did at one time.

I can remember trying to get hold of drivers, before diad and cell phones. Calling their pick ups and asking them to leave a note on the book to call center. We have been a long way since then.

While I did not have a phone for yrs, when everyone else did, I somehow managed to get through the day, although the time I got stuck in a country driveway, about 15 yrs ago, slid off the path, and couldnt go back to the house for the same reason I couldnt deliver it when I got back there,....loose rots and no lights on....It was a very long cold evening............
So no matter why we have them, you cant beat the convienience.