UPS Part Time Airport NEW Interest via Hub

Hello, I am a 27 year old never had a single job in my life until as of September 12th when I was "hired." This is when my training began.

October 8th our training crew take over the new Night Shift at our airport. I found out that as long I stay there at the airport that they'll never grant me full time because it's the way it is.
There is a hub closer to my home that seeking for a dockworker full time. I have not reached union status obviously should I wait until my 70 day period or should I just sign up for the dockworker position?

The keyword dockworker I anticipate should I have a forklift endorsement before I pursue the hub dockworker position or won't it matter???

Tell me what to do more experience upsers.
Thanks

Last edited:

km3

I'm reluctant to recommend that you apply somewhere else for the time being. A lot of locations will give you a negative rehire status if you quit too quickly. They won't care that you're doing it to go to another UPS location.

Assuming you're applying to UPS and not UPS Freight, you don't need to know anything about forklifts.

Side note: If that's your real picture, you should change it to something else.

I also wouldn't go around broadcasting that you've never had a job at your age unless you have a good reason.

Last edited:

bagpipes

Dockworker position is not with UPS Small Package... so take that into consideration.

+1 to everything Bastiatian said

Box Ox

In my area the airport is a dead end as far as doing anything but working the belt as a part timer. No full time opportunities.

You might have to knock out a year where you are so you don't get black balled in the hiring system and then get re-hired at the hub.

I'm reluctant to recommend that you apply somewhere else for the time being. A lot of locations will give you a negative rehire status if you quit too quickly. They won't care that you're doing it to go to another UPS location.

Assuming you're applying to UPS and not UPS Freight, you don't need to know anything about forklifts.

Side note: If that's your real picture, you should change it to something else.

I also wouldn't go around broadcasting that you've never had a job at your age unless you have a good reason.
I'll stay happy for the time being. Thanks...

working up a sweat

I work in an air hub, about 35% Article 22.3 FT jobs here. The rest are PT.

You could bid on FT jobs at the other hub in the local too.

Everybody wants to work in the air hub unless they hate cold weather. It gets cold out in the winter on the ramp with the snow and high winds.

De-icing, marshalling and operating K lifts, you freeze your butt off. Buy a good snow suit.

brown67

Some of the full-time feeder sups were part time sips at the airport. Part time, part time sup, then full time sup.