UPS Safety Czars being Shop Stewards. A Conflict of Interest?

Should Shop Stewards that are also Safety Chairs be forced to choose only one allegiance?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Notretiredyet

I'm a steward and a safety committee member. Being on the safety committee gives me the opportunity to monitor accident reviews and observations easier than when I wasn't. More importantly I now have the chance to mentor and meet the new drivers face to face as their union rep and help them learn the ways of UPS prior to them receiving discipline. Being in a RTW state having the contact early on is important in getting them to realize the benefits of joining our local, and to help them attain seniority and begin their career at UPS as a teamster.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
That's the easiest thing to do.

ARTICLE 18

Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

"The Local Union shall approve the bargaining unit members who serve on these Committees."

Or, request the safety committee be disbanded.... all together.

"In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negotiating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s President of Labor Relations of the request."

The contract language is there....

And, enforceable.

Use it.

-Bug-
Drivers can get the safety committee disbanded?? Ive been followed by hourly and they nit-pick every little thing and report all to the center manager. Pisses us all off, but thats UPS. Your saying we can negate the whole thing?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Drivers can get the safety committee disbanded?? Your saying we can negate the whole thing?

Yep.

Ive been followed by hourly and they nit-pick every little thing and report all to the center manager.

That issue, I would take up with your Local.

You could file charges on them, and let the Locals E-Board deal with them.

It could be considered a violation of their "Obligation" to the Union.

Review your Locals Bylaws, and talk to your BA.

Easy fix.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
...and I am saying that there is no way in hell that I could walk in to work tomorrow morning, get the guys together and demand that our center manager disband the safety committee...

The first step, is to file a grievance.

Other people don't realize, you work in a small extended center.

Things are different there.

In (actual) Hubs....

There are 100's of drivers.

What may apply in your realm, doesn't translate to metropolitan areas.

-Bug-

10 point

So other hourly employees doing safety observations report to the center manager that a "PC driver" did something unsafe and there could be discipline that follows?
Grievance: Art 18 & 37. Hourlie is deleted from safety committee. Company is creating a hostile work environment.

10 point

I'm a steward and a safety committee member. Being on the safety committee gives me the opportunity to monitor accident reviews and observations easier than when I wasn't. More importantly I now have the chance to mentor and meet the new drivers face to face as their union rep and help them learn the ways of UPS prior to them receiving discipline. Being in a RTW state having the contact early on is important in getting them to realize the benefits of joining our local, and to help them attain seniority and begin their career at UPS as a teamster.
1. Stop the problems before they're implemented (as Steward).

2. Add teeth to unsafe work practices getting stopped as a chair.

3. Set up your own programs for half the safety time allotted and make sure they get done to actually benefit employee safety.