UPS - Self Insured

wgf46

Is UPS Self Insured and how does that affect UPS as far as Obamacare? It shouldn't, business as usual the way I see it !

Atomic_Smurf

Is UPS Self Insured and how does that affect UPS as far as Obamacare? It shouldn't, business as usual the way I see it !

Self insured as far as liability for it's properties, vehicles, equipment, workers comp etc. As far as healthcare goes, UPS contracts BCBS & Aetna. Your insurance card should verify that.

saintrick

Self insured as far as liability for it's properties, vehicles, equipment, workers comp etc. As far as healthcare goes, UPS contracts BCBS & Aetna. Your insurance card should verify that.

If I understand it right Aetna/Blue Cross are a third party that handles the claims process. UPS pays the claims. UPS does not pay premiums to Aetna/Blue Cross. I may be wrong.

Atomic_Smurf

If I understand it right Aetna/Blue Cross are a third party that handles the claims process. UPS pays the claims. UPS does not pay premiums to Aetna/Blue Cross. I may be wrong.

Sounds logical. Either way I don't think anyone is exemt from Obamacare...except congress. They don't want that crap!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

UPS pays for costs related to the Healthcare plan provided directly to employees.
UPS pays AETNA, BCBS, CVS, etc. to administer the claims process.
AETNA, BCBS, CVS, etc. do not provide healthcare insurance to UPS employees or retirees.

Atomic_Smurf

Good lord.

Didn't we just prove the other day that congress isn't exempt.

You guys can never win an argument without lying .

Who's arguing? Congress has plenty of benefits in the area of health care that are unobtainable buy the general public. Obamacare will do little to change their plush insurance plans. The bill doesn't exempt them from the legislation as much as their wealth & position does. Obamacare was designed to redistribute the benefits of the largest pool of producers, the working class.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Obamacare will raise the price of insurance in general due to regulations, so it will affect us. Costs will skyrocket. Many doctors are already leaving their practice. Wait until the Cadillac limits are lowered!

Anyway, the whole thing is designed to fail.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Obamacare will raise the price of insurance in general due to regulations, so it will affect us. Costs will skyrocket. Many doctors are already leaving their practice. Wait until the Cadillac limits are lowered!

To be replaced by a one-payer system which is the plan so it is not really failure.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

I love misnomers...

Where are these doctors going? Net pay for doctors in the USA is more than twice that of Canada and up to three times that of Europe. Median pay for a PCP is pushing $200K, median pay for a surgeon is close to half a million....

upnorth

Hey bagels, you seem pretty smart. Are y0u actually suggesting a one gun restriction too? before you know it black helicoptors gonna take all that away. Your stuck just being you. Waiting in line for toilet paper and teeth----. Oh, wait---thats for our health care and retirement system patients. Nice to meet you by the way. Good Luck!!!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Hey bagels, you seem pretty smart. Are y0u actually suggesting a one gun restriction too? before you know it black helicoptors gonna take all that away. Your stuck just being you. Waiting in line for toilet paper and teeth----. Oh, wait---thats for our health care and retirement system patients. Nice to meet you by the way. Good Luck!!!

Obviously you must believe all the propaganda that's being spoon fed to you... "I'm sorry, upnorth, but you have the flu. I prescribe chicken noodle soup & plenty of rest. Now, just sign here so we can bill your insurance company $400..." Gotta love the idea that docs are going to flee the US in pursuit of smaller paydays elsewhere ;).

Atomic_Smurf

To be replaced by a one-payer system which is the plan so it is not really failure.

Ya I guess that depends on your perspective. If you bought the lie that Obamacare was going to cure our system in it's current form & bring down costs then it would appear to be a failure. On the other had If you could see it for what it is, the incremental degrading of our current system until single payer is the only alternative, then it is flowing exactly as planned.

GameCockFan

The Affordable Care Act started life as a republican idea. There against it now because it came from Obama. It's nothing more than RomneyCare on a national level. Single Payer is a far superior solution and one whose time has come. Obama Care, Romney Care each have so good points and some bad but all in all are just a boon for insurance companies. Once again large companies raiding the treasury of the people and at the same time buying off elected officials to keep their taxes low and their loopholes open.

D. Brad Wright: Did the Heritage Foundation Invent ObamaCare?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Ya I guess that depends on your perspective. If you bought the lie that Obamacare was going to cure our system in it's current form & bring down costs then it would appear to be a failure. On the other had If you could see it for what it is, the incremental degrading of our current system until single payer is the only alternative, then it is flowing exactly as planned.

It was never sold as a "cure," but rather an attempt to stabilize the system. There will always be too much resistance toward a single payer system, although it's likely that many underinsured people will eventually move into the exchanges. Remember, many "insured" people are on predatory policies, including "private" insurance that relies exclusively on employee contributions -- typically up to $1000 --- and limits pay outs to about $3000-$5000 -- which you won't get unless you're seriously ill (and even then it won't do much to help).

My uncle is adamantly opposed to ObamaCare -- he thinks it's his right to go without health insurance. Yet a few years ago, he had a liver transplant -- at a government hospital, no less, ultimately costing taxpayers over $1M since he also believes it's his right not to pay a single penny toward the bills. Funny thing was he was left to die -- given his age & health they decided he was not the best candiate for a transplant (hey, even private insurers have death panels!) and was sent home w/arranged hospice. Then, for whatever reason, they airlifted him halfway across the country at the last minute. He's still ungrateful. Nobody deserves to die, but he certainly didn't deserve the "gift" he received.

upnorth

so bagels, you prescibe a different kool-aid? I was kidding in my post--- sorry if it was taken different. You are very correct. $400 dollars is just for a yougart in the hosp. and we all better check to make sure it doesnt get billed twice in case the weathers good and the docs play an extra round. The whole political issue about healthcare is who is gonna watch the henhouse.

Atomic_Smurf

It was never sold as a "cure," but rather an attempt to stabilize the system. There will always be too much resistance toward a single payer system, although it's likely that many underinsured people will eventually move into the exchanges. Remember, many "insured" people are on predatory policies, including "private" insurance that relies exclusively on employee contributions -- typically up to $1000 --- and limits pay outs to about $3000-$5000 -- which you won't get unless you're seriously ill (and even then it won't do much to help).

My uncle is adamantly opposed to ObamaCare -- he thinks it's his right to go without health insurance. Yet a few years ago, he had a liver transplant -- at a government hospital, no less, ultimately costing taxpayers over $1M since he also believes it's his right not to pay a single penny toward the bills. Funny thing was he was left to die -- given his age & health they decided he was not the best candiate for a transplant (hey, even private insurers have death panels!) and was sent home w/arranged hospice. Then, for whatever reason, they airlifted him halfway across the country at the last minute. He's still ungrateful. Nobody deserves to die, but he certainly didn't deserve the "gift" he received.
So did he have private insurance or not? You contradict youself by saying the private insurers turned down his opperation.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
So did he have private insurance or not? You contradict youself by saying the private insurers turned down his opperation.

He had no insurance, but there are already people making decisions for us based on cost. I've had a lifelong illness, and UPS/Aetna/BCBS/Kaiser (or whoever else they switch to) has long told me which medications I should be taking. My "preferred" medication costly slightly more -- and I'm willing to pay for the difference and then some -- and has a longer life expectancy than the one they insist I take. But hey, they'd rather me die sooner than later... save the company $$$$.

Atomic_Smurf

He had no insurance, but there are already people making decisions for us based on cost. I've had a lifelong illness, and UPS/Aetna/BCBS/Kaiser (or whoever else they switch to) has long told me which medications I should be taking. My "preferred" medication costly slightly more -- and I'm willing to pay for the difference and then some -- and has a longer life expectancy than the one they insist I take. But hey, they'd rather me die sooner than later... save the company $$$$.

Normally when people don't have insurance & have an expensive medical bills there are collections, liens & even bankruptcy to deal with but since you claimed he wouldn't pay a "single penny" that would lead us to believe that he is low-income. If that's the case, well, I have good news for your uncle, but it's bad news for hard working tax payers. Now, thanks to Obamacare, the free services he enjoyed as a "free-rider" before, are still free. Only now he can enjoy them with a sense of entitlement. He may not like Obamacare now but give it time. Once he figures out that he's getting something for free at someone else's expense, he'll be voting Democrat for life.