UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 2012

beentheredonethat

Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

Trust me, I would never listen to advice given on an anonymous Internet forum. Besides, my 401k is "set it and forget it", so I am not scrambling like yourself and BTDT to recover my losses.

In deference to BTDT, this will be my last post on this thread. Good luck to you both----I hope you both reach and even surpass your financial goals.

Thank you.

PS. As of today, the YTD return for the S&P 500 is up 11.66%. My portfolio YTD is up 14.8% so I am not "scrambling" to recover my losses. I do admit, I was up higher earlier before the stock market took a dip. But if I can do something I like to do and beat the SP 500 by 3.1% I call that a win win.

oldngray

nowhere special
Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

I was more conservative and mostly in dividend and bond funds but recently more into more aggressive growth funds. I am far from a day trader but adjust my portfolio a couple of times per year. I waited out the expected dip before I got aggressive.

beentheredonethat

BrownboyUPS, Benben;

With the current market conditions I got a bit lucky by pulling out 25%. I'm curious to your current plans. I'm a bit torn right now. Do I keep the money on the sideline for an extended bear rally. Or do I buy some stocks that dropped in price.

What's your opinion? What specific ones currently are high on your list?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

I am a divi investor. I set aside 10% for fun to trade with but otherwise I strictly buy, hold and monitor. I am excited about the recent dip because if it can go just a tad bit lower I can get some mid to high teen yields. This is why currently the market has me excited and not worried. I have a different mind set than traders. The stocks I choose have to show a strong history of paying it's shareholders while continuing to put in solid quarters.

I am looking at AI, DHF (This is a fund and outside the 401K I do not invest in funds but damn I like it's history!) OXLC is getting cheap as is EFC. I also like DX.
Watching MAIN and FSC

brownboyups

RNO $13.00
monday closed monday $12.77
still on sale
------------------------------------

market pricing in the fed going out of the buying mortgage backed securities business

my favorite stock NYCB not on sale anymore
bought more at $12.96...closed today $13.78
gotta buy when the computers take over and dump good stocks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

interest rates are going up...just pulled the trigger on my 2nd harley
that windshield is coming off
2.99% for 5 years...put 5k down
photo.jpg
if your going to borrow money...now is the time for what ever reason
money is cheap to borrow right now but thats going change

photo.jpg

brownboyups

NRP
RNO

coal stocks have sold off sharply because Obama has introducing cleaner regulations on power plants
which effect coal

i own 440 shares of NRP and going to hold
need to read the upcoming earnings call transcripts
and watch if the dividends decrease

brownboyups

NYCB is ONSALE...A+++...$13.34
i own 5,000 shares
9 years of a $.25 cent quarterly dividend
NYCB Historical Prices | New York Community Bancorp, Inc Stock - Yahoo! Finance

oversold...this bank makes me a lot of money

BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE

ANY TIME NYCB IS UNDER $13.50 is a BUY

$14.04
http://www.dailyfinance.com/quote/nyse/new-york-community-bancorp-inc/nycb
now own 6,712 shares +$5,000...account worth $94,236.48
$1,678 quarter dividend

will go down again...always mades me money

balland chain

hello fellow UPSers who invest...in 2009 got out of the Prudential 401k options and moved all but the mandatory 3% into the Dreyfus self managed account to pick and buy stocks...just takes a 10 minute phone call to Prudential to transfer funds

i have a passion for investing in dividend stocks
24 years with UPS
$142,000 in my account
making 12K in dividends per year
you buy when stocks are going down (on sale) not when they are going up

feel free to add your own stocks or ask any questions

stocks i own

all stocks were bought on 11-19-2012

T...AT&T...telecommunications...yield 5.1%
ECT...natural gas trust...yield 15.1%
OHI...healthcare...yield 7%
NYCB...bank...yield 7.1%
RNO...coal...yield 12.4%
SDRL...seadrill...oil rig company...yield 8.9%
NYMT...mortgage reit...yield 15.7%
AI...mortgage reit...yield 14.4%
RCS...pimco bonds...yield 8.1%
PNNT...investment company...yield 10.2%
PSEC...investment company...yield 11.7%

Good job,, your 142K make you 12K in dividends ? Thats awesome.. I may print this out and take it to my Wells Fargo advisor and tell her to duplicate this with my 401K money when I retire,,

Benben

RNO, its getting about that time again. I think I'll set a limit order at $12.80 and watch a few days before pulling the trigger at anything below 13 if the limit order doesn't fire off by the end of the week, possibly middle of next week due to the holiday.

I still love it when the Fed speaks while saying nothing and Mr. Market has a seizure. With that being said I expect to dump all my mReit holdings except possibly Dx and NYMT (because I got in on those two at such a low price) by the end of the year then jump back in at what I hope to be the bottom of the curve. But you know what they say about trying to time the market..............What we saw last month will be repeated in this sector when the Fed gives a more solid date for backing off.

Pharma stocks took off today. Some sic gains for those that where in this sector, wish I was.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good job,, your 142K make you 12K in dividends ? Thats awesome.. I may print this out and take it to my Wells Fargo advisor and tell her to duplicate this with my 401K money when I retire,,

....or you could let her do what you pay her to do.....

Keep in mind that, unless you get free trades through Wells Fargo, you will pay a transaction fee for all of this "day trading" activity. You should also keep in mind that your financial advisor has the long-range goal of a financially secure retirement for you and your family and that "day trading" is most likely not part of that plan. Let her do her job and then sit back and enjoy a comfortable retirement.

moreluck

golden ticket member

".....then sit back and enjoy a comfortable retirement......" (upstate)
Ha, ha, ha.....!!!

Also keep in mind that your financial advisor is looking for a comfortable retirement too......can you say Bernie Madoff ?

brownboyups

RNO, its getting about that time again. I think I'll set a limit order at $12.80 and watch a few days before pulling the trigger at anything below 13 if the limit order doesn't fire off by the end of the week, possibly middle of next week due to the holiday.

I still love it when the Fed speaks while saying nothing and Mr. Market has a seizure. With that being said I expect to dump all my mReit holdings except possibly Dx and NYMT (because I got in on those two at such a low price) by the end of the year then jump back in at what I hope to be the bottom of the curve. But you know what they say about trying to time the market..............What we saw last month will be repeated in this sector when the Fed gives a more solid date for backing off.

Pharma stocks took off today. Some sic gains for those that where in this sector, wish I was.

RNO started to move today $13.36
RHINO RESOURCE PARTNERS LP COM UNIT REPSTG LTD PARTNER Stock Quote RNO | DailyFinance
RNO low $13.17....high $13.94
any price under $13.50 is a bargin

i have no money to buy until the end of august...+3k
looking for another $.445 cent dividend

​RNO is undervalued

brownboyups

need to read all the pages...markets change and so does buying and selling my stocks
will post what i own on the 4th of july

no advisor will tell u to be 100% in high yield stocks...trust me on that

up $50k in 19 months (doing something right)

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't have the desire to mess with single stocks or even a few here and there. I've really been concerned about my savings lately. My 401k's "personal performance" was 25% for the past year. :happy-very: However......it's settled around 9% for the calendar year and I've recently decided to do more research on retirement and it seems that most advisors suggest that we should be saving 15% of our income for retirement and should only contribute to a company provided 401K that doesn't have a match only after we've maxed a Roth IRA first and haven't reached that 15%. I noticed that our Prudential 401K has a Roth feature but is that a traditional or an IRA. That's where I'm a little confused. Should I move what I'm contributing to the 401k every week to the Roth instead or what?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

I don't have the desire to mess with single stocks or even a few here and there. I've really been concerned about my savings lately. My 401k's "personal performance" was 25% for the past year. :happy-very: However......it's settled around 9% for the calendar year and I've recently decided to do more research on retirement and it seems that most advisers suggest that we should be saving 15% of our income for retirement and should only contribute to a company provided 401K that doesn't have a match only after we've maxed a Roth IRA first and haven't reached that 15%. I noticed that our Prudential 401K has a Roth feature but is that a traditional or an IRA. That's where I'm a little confused. Should I move what I'm contributing to the 401k every week to the Roth instead or what?
A young guy like you should probably put it all in the Roth unless you have a really compelling reason to avoid the tax hit now rather than later. A good idea would be to make an appointment with an actual financial adviser in your area where you can bring in all the details of our 401k plan along with a list of questions.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't have the desire to mess with single stocks or even a few here and there. I've really been concerned about my savings lately. My 401k's "personal performance" was 25% for the past year. :happy-very: However......it's settled around 9% for the calendar year and I've recently decided to do more research on retirement and it seems that most advisers suggest that we should be saving 15% of our income for retirement and should only contribute to a company provided 401K that doesn't have a match only after we've maxed a Roth IRA first and haven't reached that 15%. I noticed that our Prudential 401K has a Roth feature but is that a traditional or an IRA. That's where I'm a little confused. Should I move what I'm contributing to the 401k every week to the Roth instead or what?
A young guy like you should probably put it all in the Roth unless you have a really compelling reason to avoid the tax hit now rather than later. A good idea would be to make an appointment with an actual financial adviser in your area where you can bring in all the details of our 401k plan along with a list of questions.

Right now all I really need to know is more about the Roth option in our 401k website. Not sure if its the same as a Roth IRA or if it's an entirely different animal. My financial advisor is Dave Ramsey. :)

Benben

I don't have the desire to mess with single stocks or even a few here and there. I've really been concerned about my savings lately. My 401k's "personal performance" was 25% for the past year. :happy-very: However......it's settled around 9% for the calendar year and I've recently decided to do more research on retirement and it seems that most advisors suggest that we should be saving 15% of our income for retirement and should only contribute to a company provided 401K that doesn't have a match only after we've maxed a Roth IRA first and haven't reached that 15%. I noticed that our Prudential 401K has a Roth feature but is that a traditional or an IRA. That's where I'm a little confused. Should I move what I'm contributing to the 401k every week to the Roth instead or what?

Most Financial advisors will offer a free first consultation, use this to vet out a few and pick their brains. Just remember they don't get paid unless you give them money to "manage." so expect a sell job.

As for the Roth options in 401K's and IRAs. The 401K Roth option is capped at 5% a year. I had a driving mentor who retired last year. I caught up with him 2 weeks ago and got to twist his year. When he retired he had $288K in his 401K. Now with his; 1.pension, 2. SS, 3.Wife's SS and 4. pulling from his 401K above the green line (not 100% sure what this means) his monthly income is higher than when he was working 55 hours a week. This plus possible government tax increases in the future makes Roth options very appealing to me.

Putting dollars into a Roth lowers your weekly take home pay a lot more than just putting it into the regular 401K
! I have a wife and 2 teenage kids. I can not put as much into the Roth as I'd like but when those 2 kids are out of college I will max that option out every year! The annual Roth 401K limit is currently $5K. The income limits for a ROth IRA are too low for most drivers to qualify for but according to my Edward Jones guy there are ways around them but I have yet to go down that road.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Prudential Roth 401k cap is 35%, not 5%, with a 10% "catch-up" for those 50 or older, with contributions capped at $17.5K and $5.5K, respectively.

The annual Roth IRA limit is $5K ($6K if 50 or older). I am a FT driver and have my Roth IRA through Edward Jones.

https://www.edwardjones.com/en_US/products/retire/individual_plans/roth_ira/index.html

Benben

The ROTH 401K cap is 5% Upstate. Regular 401K is much higher but the Roth cap is much, much lower.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry, ben squared, but in this case you are mistaken.

The information I took is directly from our 401k website. I posted a link but deleted it as the link contained my personal information so I typed it directly from the contributions page. You can check it out for yourself if you think I am wrong. The contribution and catch-up rates are the same for both the traditional and Roth 401k's (35% and 10%, respectively) as is the maximum combined contribution rate (40%).

You are right in that contributing to the Roth rather than the traditional 401k will have a significant impact on your take-home pay. This can be off-set by increasing the number of withholdings on your W-4 but you need to be careful when doing this as it could come back to bite you at tax time.

You were also incorrect about the income limits for a Roth IRA. I am also with Edward Jones, I make $70K/year and had no problem setting up my Roth IRA. I posted a link which shows the income limits based upon marital status.

I may not know much about day trading but I am well versed in how our 401k works.