UPS Worker Wins Federal Settlement against Teamster Union for Ignoring Her Rights

Discussion in 'The Latest UPS Headlines' started by cheryl, May 1, 2014.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

UPS Worker Wins Federal Settlement against Teamster Union for Ignoring Her Rights Under Michigan's Right to Work Law - NRTW

Teamster union officials stonewalled worker's attempts to refrain from dues payments

With free legal assistance from National Right to Work Foundation staff attorneys, a Traverse City UPS worker has won a federal settlement against a local Teamster union for violating her rights.

Lisa Plamondon, a 30-year UPS employee, won the settlement from the Teamster Local 406 union after she filed charges against the union and her employer with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).

Because Michigan did not have a Right to Work law making union dues payments completely voluntary, Plamondon was a member of the union from 1983 until 1997. In 1997, Plamondon resigned her union membership, but still had to pay union dues and fees to keep her job.
  2. rod

rod retired and happy

Wow---that's bad. It could open up a big can of worms. And she got a free lawyer to boot.
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

In Upstate NY if you opt out of the Union you still have to pay 99.44% of the monthly dues so what's the point .

Sent using BrownCafe App
  4. AKupser

AKupser Ice Queen (Elsa)

Is NY a "Right to Work" state? Maybe that's the difference.
  5. bobbybrown

bobbybrown New Member

Sent using BrownCafe App
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

Not yet.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  7. realbrown1

realbrown1 Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

She was a teamsters until '97.

Hmmmm, I wonder what happened in '97 to cause her to resign her membership?
  8. 16tons

16tons Member

Michigan became RTW after the last elections, republicans did it before the new seats were filled.
    So guessing she won.... A few hundred dollars?!? Looking like an @ss must be priceless...
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

A few hundred dollars? If she resigned from the union in 1997, we are talking 17 years of dues and fees taken out without her consent. According to the article, she will receive a refund of all union fees illegally taken out plus interest, which I am guessing will be around $20K.
  10. 16tons

16tons Member

Why would union pay for dues previous to RTW? If she didn't like the fact it was a union job, she could have worked for mcdonalds.... No one forced her to work a union job.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. BigBeef42

BigBeef42 Active Member

Theirs always someone looking for a lawsuit. Cash grabs are way too common in murica

Sent using BrownCafe App
  12. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

Lawyers don't do things for free. I know it said "Free legal assistance" but come on.
    Which said lawyer will get a nice chunk.
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

I did not apply here to satisfy a lifelong desire to become a Teamster; to be honest, I had no idea UPS hourlies had union representation. I applied here because I knew that it was a solid company which would fairly compensate me for my efforts. I also knew that it was a job which would allow me to help support my family (ex is an RN) and ensure our children would be able to go to college.
  14. cachsux

cachsux Wah

And yet you never turned down one union bargained benefit I bet?
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

I handed my Teamsters 75th anniversary license plate bracket back to our BA. Does that count?
  16. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Nobody cares!

Sent using BrownCafe App
  17. Packmule

Packmule Well-Known Member

Agree! Unfortunately, so many don't understand that a union that has to EARN membership, is a union you ca trust.