Upstate NY.. Michigan... what do you do when there is 5ft or more of snow?

As the title states.. this winter and last look like they have been brutal for you. What do you do when the snow is above your shoulders??? Just curious. Here in Ohio when it's more than a foot it's impossible to function on my route.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I just walk more driveways. Bag and hang boxes. The more snow the driveways get narrower because there is no where to push it back. We are called in after 8 hrs most snow days now a days.

QKRSTKR

I had to use chains to unhook from my lead trailer. The place I go got over a foot of snow. Other than that go slowwwwwwww. Watch the super truckers wipeout. See how far cars make it in the ditch.

UPSER110

We got 6 inches of snow monday night/ tuesday. I ran chains until friday. The back roads were untouched and packed snow/ice. It would be impossible to get around without them going up hills.

oldupsman

I always wondered how a package car would do with full chains?

I used full chains alot in my career. Had mostly a rural route during my time. And quite honestly
every size package car I drove, mostly smaller cars, the 400, 500, 600 all did very well with full
chains. The last 4 or 5 years they didn't keep buy them anymore so I really took good care of the
set I had. Would actually take them out of the car in the spring and put them in my locker for the following
winter. At the end all the young guys would ask, "Where you get those." People used to laugh
at me the way I took care of those chains, until it snowed.

PhatAzz

And quite honestly
every size package car I drove, mostly smaller cars, the 400, 500, 600 all did very well

I ran a route back in '84 with a P400. I did a 180 in it ONCE on a chip and tar road in the rain. It's kinda like getting your elbow slammed in the bulkhead door - it only takes one time and you learn.
I like a good snow fall once or twice in the winter and then I'm done. You guys up north can have it. No thanks.

AKCoverMan

Here in The Last Frontier we have real chains. Never leave the building without two sets in case one breaks. I had a very nice but hilly neighborhood Friday where I had to use them to get up and down the hills after some freezing rain.

We also carry spike strips..tough plastic strips with spikes on one side and smaller ones on other side. Great when stuck on small ice pothole and just need traction to move a foot or two to get out.

Packmule

Here in The Last Frontier we have real chains. Never leave the building without two sets in case one breaks. I had a very nice but hilly neighborhood Friday where I had to use them to get up and down the hills after some freezing rain.

We also carry spike strips..tough plastic strips with spikes on one side and smaller ones on other side. Great when stuck on small ice pothole and just need traction to move a foot or two to get out.
Sounds like something we need. Something a guy can get on after you already got stuck.

oldngray

nowhere special

Those spike strips are great. Quick and easy to use if you are only a little bit stuck. My last package car was a POS in the winter and could get stuck in an inch of snow. I used those many times.

Packmule

I used full chains alot in my career. Had mostly a rural route during my time. And quite honestly
every size package car I drove, mostly smaller cars, the 400, 500, 600 all did very well with full
chains. The last 4 or 5 years they didn't keep buy them anymore so I really took good care of the
set I had. Would actually take them out of the car in the spring and put them in my locker for the following
winter. At the end all the young guys would ask, "Where you get those." People used to laugh
at me the way I took care of those chains, until it snowed.
I always rinse them off at the bld and hang them up overnight to dry before putting them away.

AKCoverMan

Sounds like something we need. Something a guy can get on after you already got stuck.

Exactly..just enough to get you moving and out of trouble. Much quicker than chaining up especially in situations were you prob won't need chains after getting unstuck.

Gotta be careful however as sometimes on hard packed snow/ice the spikes don't dig in, the tire spins, and the strips shoot out the back of the PC like missiles.

upschuck

Those things are nice.
portable-tow-truck-an-emergency-tire-traction-strip-2110.jpg