Upstate NY.. Michigan... what do you do when there is 5ft or more of snow?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by mybodyhurts, Jan 9, 2015.

1. mybodyhurts

mybodyhurts New Member

As the title states.. this winter and last look like they have been brutal for you. What do you do when the snow is above your shoulders??? Just curious. Here in Ohio when it's more than a foot it's impossible to function on my route.
  2. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

Stay home and enjoy the time off.
  3. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

I just walk more driveways. Bag and hang boxes. The more snow the driveways get narrower because there is no where to push it back. We are called in after 8 hrs most snow days now a days.

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Put your chains on tight and correctly.;)
  5. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Any parts in snow country use real tire chains? (Not just the emergency strap).
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We have actual tire chains in our center.

25 years in and I have never had to use them.

QKRSTKR Active Member

I had to use chains to unhook from my lead trailer. The place I go got over a foot of snow. Other than that go slowwwwwwww. Watch the super truckers wipeout. See how far cars make it in the ditch.
  8. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

I always wondered how a package car would do with full chains?
  9. UPSER110

UPSER110 Active Member

We got 6 inches of snow monday night/ tuesday. I ran chains until friday. The back roads were untouched and packed snow/ice. It would be impossible to get around without them going up hills.
  10. oldupsman

oldupsman Well-Known Member

I used full chains alot in my career. Had mostly a rural route during my time. And quite honestly
    every size package car I drove, mostly smaller cars, the 400, 500, 600 all did very well with full
    chains. The last 4 or 5 years they didn't keep buy them anymore so I really took good care of the
    set I had. Would actually take them out of the car in the spring and put them in my locker for the following
    winter. At the end all the young guys would ask, "Where you get those." People used to laugh
    at me the way I took care of those chains, until it snowed.
  11. PhatAzz

PhatAzz Active Member

I ran a route back in '84 with a P400. I did a 180 in it ONCE on a chip and tar road in the rain. It's kinda like getting your elbow slammed in the bulkhead door - it only takes one time and you learn.
    I like a good snow fall once or twice in the winter and then I'm done. You guys up north can have it. No thanks.
  12. AKCoverMan

AKCoverMan Active Member

Here in The Last Frontier we have real chains. Never leave the building without two sets in case one breaks. I had a very nice but hilly neighborhood Friday where I had to use them to get up and down the hills after some freezing rain.

We also carry spike strips..tough plastic strips with spikes on one side and smaller ones on other side. Great when stuck on small ice pothole and just need traction to move a foot or two to get out.
  13. Packmule

Packmule Well-Known Member

We do. Get told they're to get out of something we never should have gone into, though. Otherwise EC baby!
  14. Packmule

Sounds like something we need. Something a guy can get on after you already got stuck.
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We have those traction aids here in addition to the chains.
  16. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Those spike strips are great. Quick and easy to use if you are only a little bit stuck. My last package car was a POS in the winter and could get stuck in an inch of snow. I used those many times.
  17. Packmule

I always rinse them off at the bld and hang them up overnight to dry before putting them away.
  18. Packmule

Well &$@/ where's mine! Never even heard of these!
  19. AKCoverMan

AKCoverMan Active Member

Exactly..just enough to get you moving and out of trouble. Much quicker than chaining up especially in situations were you prob won't need chains after getting unstuck.

Gotta be careful however as sometimes on hard packed snow/ice the spikes don't dig in, the tire spins, and the strips shoot out the back of the PC like missiles.
  20. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

Those things are nice. [​IMG]