Using the Restroom ONLY at break..

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Sad news, my BA said you are an adult, you should be able to hold it...

Good news is, some of the sups I guess said if you allow them to work while you are gone, then they are fine with it.

They said they just wanted to be told when you are gone, so the area can be kept free of boxes... Problem is, it takes longer to find a sup than to just go to the bathroom most of the time.

Did you actually speak to your business agent or did you get this from word of mouth? While we are on the subject did you actually hear a sup say you cannot go to the bathroom unless your on break?

RealPerson

Did you actually speak to your business agent or did you get this from word of mouth? While we are on the subject did you actually hear a sup say you cannot go to the bathroom unless your on break?

Yes,
It was the FT sup in charge of all the sups. I did Not hear it from HIM, but when I went to work on my shift he is still there, and I asked him about it, he said "Yes, I said that at the PCM on Monday"
I called my Local and was told to talk to a certain union steward who had a direct meeting with the BA about this and an issue that came along with it. That the BA was currently Busy... So, I called this union steward, he said exactly what I wrote.

No worries the Union stewards and some employees like myself are informing people to call the 1800 number and also have an agreement worked out, with or without the BA's help.

He should be giving me a call back in the next couple of days.. (BA)

IzzyTheNose

Sad news, my BA said you are an adult, you should be able to hold it...

Good news is, some of the sups I guess said if you allow them to work while you are gone, then they are fine with it.

They said they just wanted to be told when you are gone, so the area can be kept free of boxes... Problem is, it takes longer to find a sup than to just go to the bathroom most of the time.

If that's what your BA actually said, then I'd have to question whether that miserable bastard is in someone's pocket. And I hope that second sentence was sarcasm. You shouldn't have to work out deals to use the restroom, like allowing a supervisor to work in your stead. If they're so concerned with what the area will look like when you're gone, they need to get help, or hire someone. Either way, their staffing problems are their own. And they should get no sympathy.

What local are you from?

8Keys

Sad news, my BA said you are an adult, you should be able to hold it... Good news is, some of the sups I guess said if you allow them to work while you are gone, then they are fine with it. They said they just wanted to be told when you are gone, so the area can be kept free of boxes... Problem is, it takes longer to find a sup than to just go to the bathroom most of the time.
Talk to your DM preferably or else sort manager about this policy and calmly express safety concerns. Numerous health problems can be caused by people trying to "hold it" for extended periods of time. Making you wait "until break" to use bathroom or drink water is an OSHA violation, although it is not explicitly spelled out in the regulations. This issue should have been fixed by today, to be honest, because I can't believe that corporate would support this policy and risk calls to OSHA. Rather someone in your local management team has tried to have a genius idea and overstepped his bounds. Having to notify your sup so he can cover your position is reasonable. However, it doesn't give him the right to do the work himself. You should have sufficient staffing within your area to cover any urgent position long enough for someone to use the bathroom. But that's another issue entirely.

RealPerson

If that's what your BA actually said, then I'd have to question whether that miserable bastard is in someone's pocket. And I hope that second sentence was sarcasm. You shouldn't have to work out deals to use the restroom, like allowing a supervisor to work in your stead. If they're so concerned with what the area will look like when you're gone, they need to get help, or hire someone. Either way, their staffing problems are their own. And they should get no sympathy.

What local are you from?

I will tell you my Local, once I talk to my BA, when he calls me back. For me this is the last straw.. HA

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I will tell you exactly what was said.. You have taken it all out of context. What he said is, we are all adults and do we really have to have an argument over if or when an employee can go to the restroom. Also did say that some people take advantage of the restroom and should plan better. People that are only working 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours a night show up to work and have to **** 20 minutes into the shift every night are taking advantage and probably should be counted as on break.

I can assure you that if you have an emergency situation and need to go you will not be fired or disciplined in any way. If you continue to take a dump every night 20 minutes into shift or 20 minutes after break you are putting yourself in a bad situation.

If you have to go, head to the bathroom, let the sup know when you go by the sort isle where your going so they can cover your area if necessary. Simple common sense can solve alot of problems without making a huge deal of it.

balland chain

I am a feeder driver and my manager told me the exact same thing.. If I stopped to use the restroom, I must punch out for meal or break. I called my union, and my BA said " I better do it." He obviously did not want to deal with it.. I called OSHA, they said it was a union issue..I ended up just retaining an attorney so she could hash it out with corporate.. Hind sight, I should have and could have sued the union.. You can bet if anything like this happens to me again, and my BA acts the same way, I will do just that..

I am a feeder driver and my manager told me the exact same thing.. If I stopped to use the restroom, I must punch out for meal or break. I called my union, and my BA said " I better do it." He obviously did not want to deal with it.. I called OSHA, they said it was a union issue..I ended up just retaining an attorney so she could hash it out with corporate.. Hind sight, I should have and could have sued the union.. You can bet if anything like this happens to me again, and my BA acts the same way, I will do just that..

This died at CACH long ago when a mgr mentioned it to a black female driver. Long story short, lawyer, therapy for duress,paid comp time for recovery = now mgmt just says OK when you go down the hall.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

They can ask that the first time you stop to use the restroom that you take a break (according to your Contract. Ours have two 15 minute breaks in the first half & second half of the day), then if you have to use the restroom between then and your meal period they eat the time. Once your meal and breaks are done there isn't any contractual personal time for you to take so it's their problem.

Anyone following the recommended hydration schedule they have posted pretty much everywhere will be urinating every hour.

RealPerson

I am posting from the 5th stall from the door in the bathroom.. Ha... No on break.

Ok, I talked to several employees and according to them, what they heard was what I posted, so if that was not said then it wasn't conveyed correctly.
I have talked to the FT sup, he said he did not say that exactly, that they wanted to know when we left our work area. So, to ask / inform a sup when needing an emergency bathroom break.
As you can tell, words get changed and read / heard differently by different people.
Personally I believe it wasn't as cut and dry as it was made out to me tonight by the FT, with so many people asking and talking about it.

I do Know that now after searching this board, other boards, and google searches, that this happens in Several centers.

I still do not know why the few who abuse this are not the ones talked to, and a blanket pcm has to be posted to even lower the moral more at UPS.

I am more than happy to let a sup cover my area for 5 min or less while using the bathroom. I know from this post and others I googled, some of you are not. As someone said, you do not want them timing your bathroom breaks, do you?

Some people posted if everyone used the bathroom at break, the entire break would be standing in line.
In my area, our Blue belt is the furthest away. by the time you get out of the trailer, walk to the bathroom, sit down for a min, it's time to head back and be ready to work at the end of the 10 minutes.

I have such trouble believing that was said. I hear some of these stories and it's either trolling, a terrible employee being bullied or you work in the oddest center in the country. My soups are some of the chillest people I know and appreciate the work you do for them. I can see leaving when things just got real. Otherwise I piss as much as I please and no one blinks. Crazy...
Don't be so sure. In 177. As a driver, when you break trace your supposed take break on your drive time to your break destination. That's coming from the union. Under DOT regulations the company is supposed provide you with a bathroom facility or drive time to one. So if they are not going to put in toilets in the trucks. You have they right to find one. Break free!!

didyousheetit

Talk to your DM preferably or else sort manager about this policy and calmly express safety concerns. Numerous health problems can be caused by people trying to "hold it" for extended periods of time. Making you wait "until break" to use bathroom or drink water is an OSHA violation, although it is not explicitly spelled out in the regulations. This issue should have been fixed by today, to be honest, because I can't believe that corporate would support this policy and risk calls to OSHA. Rather someone in your local management team has tried to have a genius idea and overstepped his bounds. Having to notify your sup so he can cover your position is reasonable. However, it doesn't give him the right to do the work himself. You should have sufficient staffing within your area to cover any urgent position long enough for someone to use the bathroom. But that's another issue entirely.
corporate doesn't support this policy. However, as Hoax has pointed out before they have to much pride to be concerned for reading contracts. So, I presume they have too much pride to be concerned for reading OSHA regulations or guidelines.

didyousheetit

Don't be so sure. In 177. As a driver, when you break trace your supposed take break on your drive time to your break destination. That's coming from the union. Under DOT regulations the company is supposed provide you with a bathroom facility or drive time to one. So if they are not going to put in toilets in the trucks. You have they right to find one. Break free!!
so what happens when you get in accident while "on break"?

brostalss

If you're touching cotton, I'm not waiting until my break to go.

Glad I have a few private bathrooms I can use for that very reason. A secret one in my residential section.

browntroll

had a sup tried to do this one time, everyone just ignored him. one time he waited outside of the restroom for me to tell me that was my break i just took.
in my hub they try to force everyone who is not in the preload to take their break at the end of the shift, its the only reason i like going to preload since
​i get my break after 2 hours not 4.