Warning letter without verbal warning???

clean hairy

Agreed. But you still need to protest them. A warning letter you don't deserve can turn into a suspension you don't deserve.
Along with the fact there could be others this Sup has done this to and could show a pattern.
Will the Bosses of this Sup take kindly having to defend the baseless grievances this Sup has brought on?

gorilla75jdw

Whenever a supervisor begins a disciplinary discussion, immediately request a union steward. The sup is not allowed to continue discussion till steward is present. Also, if you have never been late and have not had too many sick days, the steward will get letter removed as verbal because they can't give any warning for first time.
I disagree with your statement. If the company starts any kind of discipline with you and does not provide a steward , then the discipline is trash because a,steward was not present . So go ahead and let them do discipline without a steward present and do not tell the supervisor that his discipline is trash , just wait 4 or 5 days and file harassment for not having a steward present during discipline and then file on the discipline being administered improperly for steward being present . Then take that warning letter and throw it in the trash and make sure the supervisor knows why you are throwing it in the garbage .

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
You guys got letters? My buddy was discharged without receiving any.

Is/was your buddy young by chance? I've seen sups here try and pull that crap to some of the younger guys here who they just assume are naive or don't know their rights. They tried to terminate one for being late and they dude was just like "nope, haven't even gotten a verbal yet, you guys can't do :censored2:" . the kid ended up leaving for college anyways but the steward and I still laugh about it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
.ive never been late why is it a letter instead of a verbal warning? Is he wrong or am i?

You are correct. Most areas, if not all, get a certain number of lates or call ins before UPS can issue a warning letter.

Where I am, they cannot even give a verbal until you have 5 in a 9 month period. You can get a warning letter at 6, if they gave you a verbal warning at 5.

Whenever a supervisor begins a disciplinary discussion, immediately request a union steward. The sup is not allowed to continue discussion till steward is present.

Correct. Even if not requested, the sup must have a steward there if the encounter will result in discipline.

Total BS if you get a warning letter. Check in with your steward next shift.

Sounds like she already did. Sounds like they are issuing a warning letter anyway even with the steward involved. That would not happen here, or in most places.

then steward said i needed a verbal first to me

Not a word from any of you stressing the importance of showing up on time, especially this time of year.

She made a mistake already. Are you perfect? Oh, I forgot. You are.

She said this was the first time she has ever been late. I'm sure she learned and will double check that her alarm is set for the right day from here on out.

how do i file grievence? Who do i talk to for that my steward?

Talk to your steward to file a grievance "if" the warning letter even shows up.

Your first time late, and you are getting a warning letter? Most areas, I believe, get 6 call-ins/lates in 9 months before they even think about doing anything.

Same here. They can give a verbal at 5, but cannot even think about a warning letter until 6.

If you get a warning letter, do not sign it, go to your shop steward and grieve it immediately.

Good advice.

You guys got letters? My buddy was discharged without receiving any.

For attendance? Obviously not. Can only have been a cardinal sin.

Sounds to me like he was never discharged. That's a slam dunk case.

Yep, unless it was a cardinal sin, not for attendance. And we are discussing attendance here.

I disagree with your statement. If the company starts any kind of discipline with you and does not provide a steward , then the discipline is trash because a,steward was not present . So go ahead and let them do discipline without a steward present and do not tell the supervisor that his discipline is trash , just wait 4 or 5 days and file harassment for not having a steward present during discipline and then file on the discipline being administered improperly for steward being present . Then take that warning letter and throw it in the trash and make sure the supervisor knows why you are throwing it in the garbage .

Correct.

If the company approaches an employee knowing that discipline is involved, the company needs to make sure there is a steward there unless the employee waives his/her right to union representation. Any discipline issued without a steward present is null and void.

Lita

Sooo update in situation i talked to my shop steward and he made my supervisor take the warning letter back...steward came back and told me trow that warning letter in the trash he cant file with being late once i would have to be late frequently to even get a verbal meeting and mh record was clean...hes also going to higher management to discuss how hes giving warning letters to everyone without verbal warnings..hes a young supervisor who just started and peak stress is deff making him do ugly actions that are unfair and i wasnt going to jus stand there n watch me n others go down unfairly..thank u all for the advice :)

clean hairy

You are correct. Most areas, if not all, get a certain number of lates or call ins before UPS can issue a warning letter.

Where I am, they cannot even give a verbal until you have 5 in a 9 month period. You can get a warning letter at 6, if they gave you a verbal warning at 5.

Correct. Even if not requested, the sup must have a steward there if the encounter will result in discipline.

Sounds like she already did. Sounds like they are issuing a warning letter anyway even with the steward involved. That would not happen here, or in most places.

She made a mistake already. Are you perfect? Oh, I forgot. You are.

She said this was the first time she has ever been late. I'm sure she learned and will double check that her alarm is set for the right day from here on out.

Talk to your steward to file a grievance "if" the warning letter even shows up.

Same here. They can give a verbal at 5, but cannot even think about a warning letter until 6.

Good advice.

For attendance? Obviously not. Can only have been a cardinal sin.

Yep, unless it was a cardinal sin, not for attendance. And we are discussing attendance here.

Correct.

If the company approaches an employee knowing that discipline is involved, the company needs to make sure there is a steward there unless the employee waives his/her right to union representation. Any discipline issued without a steward present is null and void.
IF the company was to claim no Steward is available, the employee has the right to have another hourly present as a witness.
This is where it is important to learn the contract.
If it came to having another hourly as a witness, good probability they have no clue about the contact and will just sit there saying "uh, ok, I guess, I dunno."

timster24

I have a interesting background with discipline without a steward, it happened 3 times, after the last one they fired me. basically the first one was for misloads, and was flat out denied a steward, the second was for cursing on the belt, steward was not brought in until they was about done. The third time, they tried to make me sign some statement and I refused until a steward was present, the supervisor kept pushing, and I kept pushing back. Later I brought it up to the steward when he arrived, he told me that center got nailed for that a few years ago by the feds for refusing stewards, and he was filing a grievance against that supervisor, 2 other supervisors overheard the conversations, one stepped in the other punched a box and threatened to get me, the next morning the supervisor who stepped in the day before fired me for something I never said or did. The grievance on the termination was denied and my termination was switched to a resignation, so I am trying to get back on but into a different center, willing to relocate hahaha

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have a interesting background with discipline without a steward, it happened 3 times, after the last one they fired me. basically the first one was for misloads, and was flat out denied a steward, the second was for cursing on the belt, steward was not brought in until they was about done. The third time, they tried to make me sign some statement and I refused until a steward was present, the supervisor kept pushing, and I kept pushing back. Later I brought it up to the steward when he arrived, he told me that center got nailed for that a few years ago by the feds for refusing stewards, and he was filing a grievance against that supervisor, 2 other supervisors overheard the conversations, one stepped in the other punched a box and threatened to get me, the next morning the supervisor who stepped in the day before fired me for something I never said or did. The grievance on the termination was denied and my termination was switched to a resignation, so I am trying to get back on but into a different center, willing to relocate hahaha
For cursing? Did you curse in general or you cursed someone out? Example....saying friend this crap out of frustration vs calling someone (a coworker or sup) a specific profane name.