Was I Wrong?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Per your instructions and training you did wrong.

When you run into a situation you done know how to handle on your own, you are to call the center and let the management team handle it. That is what they get paid for. That also removes the monkey off your back and places it right on theirs.

Also you did wrong when you look at it from the customers side. Your actions affect BOTH the shipper and the reciever. The actions of one should not punish the other. You also missed a golden oppertunity to build a relationship with the customer so this type of behavior would not happen again. Now, instead, there will be hard feelings instead of a genuine desire to speed you on your way. You never once thought like a customer.

And the third mistake you made was to do this on a weekend with a live cargo. They might survive an extra 24 hours in the box, but not a whole weekend as well. That in itself should have rung your bell as to what you should have done.

So yes, you did wrong on many different levels. But as Tie said, you already knew that by the way you stated your post.

As has been posted, I would have, and have waited on many occasions on a customer. I get paid by the hour. If you are going to be late on pickups or getting air back to the building, call the center. Its their problem and decision, not yours. You are to work as instructed by them, removing all liability for wrong decisions from your shoulders.

That being said, the way they treated the delivery was not very good either. But with proper communications with the customer, maybe this will not happen again?

d

Thorn

You're right, monday I will try to mend that fence with the customer.

It never occured to me to use the customer opens after commit time reason for late air. I only use that when I have an early am package that has already been attempted. I have always felt that I am not authorized to make that decision without prior approval from the customer.

old levi's

blank space
You're right, monday I will try to mend that fence with the customer.

It never occured to me to use the customer opens after commit time reason for late air. I only use that when I have an early am package that has already been attempted. I have always felt that I am not authorized to make that decision without prior approval from the customer.

You don't have to use (opens after commit time) once an air package has had a legitimate on time attempt completed. It will not show late when delivered on the second attempt that same day regardless of the time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't have to use (opens after commit time) once an air package has had a legitimate on time attempt completed. It will not show late when delivered on the second attempt that same day regardless of the time.

This is only true if both attempts are made by the same driver; however, if a different driver attempted the first delivery and a second driver attempts the second then the pkg will show up late in the second driver's board and he will then have to select Option A. You are right in that it will not show up late in the system but it will show up late in the DIAD.