Was load quality acceptable?

Upsman92

Have a legitimate question, and also need to vent as well.

16 days of being on the road in a package car to date, my numbers are great(SPORH and what not) and management is very happy with my performance. Now for my question;

In all of YOUR OPINIONS, will I be looked at differently if I were to answer "NO" to the question "Was Load Quality Acceptable" on the DIAD at the end of the day?
I feel as if management will see me as a complainer or maybe even a future problem/nuisance if I respond with a "NO". I have always responded with "YES" even when the load was HORRIBLE because of this.

I understand loading is a high pressure job, having supervisors breathing down your neck to work faster. The thing is, I loaded 4 trucks with over 1000 pieces a majority of the time and ALWAYS had my load as close to perfect as I felt reasonably possible. PAL labels peeled and made visible for my drivers at the time, and all in number sequence according to the PAL label.

So what do you guys think? Should I reply "NO" on days like today where the loader/s had obviously just thrown the packages on the shelf all out of order, bulk stops not grouped together, with other stops hidden in the middle of multi-piece stops, things like that which burns valuable time that a driver cant afford to/shouldn't have to waste.

barnyard

KTM rider
I do not think that it matters. I was a preloader and when I started I used to mark unacceptable loads, did not make a difference, so now I do not. Thinking about it, I cannot remember the last time I marked an unacceptable load. Probably been over a year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No one looks at that.

Oh, yes they do, especially any comments that you write.

To the OP----just make sure you are being constructive with your criticism. Answering "N" and then typing "Load Sucks" doesn't do anyone any good. Use the two lines of text to describe the issue(s)---use a separate piece of paper and give it to your PDS if need be.

You will not receive any backlash is you are constructive----you will if you are being petty or spiteful. Depending on the preload sup, they may or may not show it to the preloader, which could or could not affect future loads.

Upsman92

No one looks at what, load quality?

Im pretty sure they do, at least the 4 drivers I loaded for did. Every morning they would thank me for having labels face out and keeping bulk stops in the same spot. They said it saved them a lot of time and made the day easier for them. And I would feel the same way If my truck was loaded properly as well. I re organize the truck before I go out every morning and half way through the day, makes looking for packages why easier if they are in the right spot...obviously.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Oh, yes they do, especially any comments that you write.

To the OP----just make sure you are being constructive with your criticism. Answering "N" and then typing "Load Sucks" doesn't do anyone any good. Use the two lines of text to describe the issue(s)---use a separate piece of paper and give it to your PDS if need be.

You will not receive any backlash is you are constructive----you will if you are being petty or spiteful. Depending on the preload sup, they may or may not show it to the preloader, which could or could not affect future loads.

To be honest, 2 lines aren't enough :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

Limper

Out For Delivery
My old Center Manager told me no one looks at load quality responses. Besides, management already knows the loads
​suck.

upschuck

Don't know about now, but when the blue preload comm cards were used, I'd always see them in the back of my truck the next day. I know, that was a different UPS.

canoworms

I would never throw another brother or sister under the bus. If the load was poor, I would approach my loader with a cold bottle of water and nicely explain how I expected the load to look. You would be surprised how a kind word and empathy makes a difference. We all know the pressure loaders are under.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would never throw another brother or sister under the bus. If the load was poor, I would approach my loader with a cold bottle of water and nicely explain how I expected the load to look. You would be surprised how a kind word and empathy makes a difference. We all know the pressure loaders are under.

This has nothing to do with throwing anyone anywhere.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont know who my loader is. There is an absolute rule that they must be off the clock and away from the belt before the drivers show up. If that means crap is stacked up everywhere, so be it. If that means my entire route sits against the belt stop and then gets randomly flung into the back of the car during the last 10 minutes of the preload operation, then so be it. As long as the preload manager hits his PPH goal and gets the packages out of the building, he doesnt give a rats ass whether any of them get delivered or not. The "load quality" questionaire in the DIAD is a waste of time to fill out because nobody reads or responds to it.

upschuck

When I did preload, I had a couple of drivers who would not write up misleads or put them in the diad, I appreciated that, but would throw the misleads on the metro belt when they got back in(falsifying records). I would not want anybody to get fired for something that I did.

I would not write anything knit picky, but something big, I write up. Preloaders have a way to get back at you if you turn in every little thing.

oldngray

nowhere special
Why waste your time filling out load quality? My preloaders never saw them. And they didn't even know about misloads (the only ones I messed with were off area or airs in load) if I made service on them. They only heard about it if there were service failures on a report.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you send in misleads through the DIAD indicating yes that you will deliver them or do you just run them off? Just running them off doesn't really address the issue.