What Are Some Options In Place of Food Stamps?

wkmac

Here's just one possible idea among many.

Many urban areas where Food Stamps play a role are often called Urban Food Deserts. But what if possible options were available that also reduce, maybe even end the need for food stamp support of any kind to people in these areas?

A nonprofit that's trying to bring more farming to Jacksonville's urban core is hoping to create jobs as well.

Jacksonville-based FreshMinistries plans to bring aquaponics to Downtown. That's a combination of aquaculture, or raising fish in tanks, with hydroponics, growing plants in water. The system doesn't require much space and can be built in a parking lot or small backyard.

Jacksonville Nonprofit Wants To Create Jobs Through Urban Farming

The latest entry into the growing urban agriculture sector pairs a high-tech hydroponic growing and monitoring system with one of the darlings of the repurposing movement, the humble shipping container, yielding a "farm in a box" that can produce large quantities of fresh local vegetables year-round.

The CropBox, which is manufactured by long-time greenhouse builder Williamson Greenhouses, is an outgrowth of a project of Ben Greene and Tyler Nethers, who are developing the Farmery, an urban farm and grocery in North Carolina that uses shipping containers to grow strawberries, greens, lettuces, herbs, and gourmet mushrooms.

Farm in a box produces an acre's worth of crops in a shipping container

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Yeah they are doing those inner city farms here. Even after they gove them free land and money they only can break even if they sell the veggies to high priced restaurants. Its not cheap food

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Yeah they are doing those inner city farms here. Even after they gove them free land and money they only can break even if they sell the veggies to high priced restaurants. Its not cheap food
If they have time to farm and sell their fruits and vegetables, they have time to get a job and stop leaching of the backs of hard working Americans.

wkmac

If they have time to farm and sell their fruits and vegetables, they have time to get a job and stop leaching of the backs of hard working Americans.

I know several farmers who would take real exception to what you said above.

I never realized you held such hostility towards individual entrepreneurship and only see at will wage employment from others as the destiny of all.

Or is there something about entrepreneurship, self determination and individual responsibility that you oppose?

realbrown1

I know several farmers who would take real exception to what you said above.

I never realized you held such hostility towards individual entrepreneurship and only see at will wage employment from others as the destiny of all.

Or is there something about entrepreneurship, self determination and individual responsibility that you oppose?
Farmers have a job. A tough job. Wasn't talking about them.

I was talking about people on public assistance who think that if someone DONATES LAND, DONATES SEED AND WATER, that they can do the rest. That's BS.

Go get a job, and stop asking for hand outs.

oldngray

nowhere special

I was talking about people on public assistance who think that if someone DONATES LAND, DONATES SEED AND WATER, that they can do the rest. That's BS.

The problem is farming is hard work and those on public assistance are usually unwilling or unable to be effective at farming. If they were such hard workers they should be employed at a real job.

bbsam

Staff member

Farmers often get government checks. My brother-in-law for one. Far bigger than any inner city "welfare queen". Or is millionaire welfare ok? Tax breaks, farm subsidies, TIF's? Are they not taking from "hard working Americans"?

Sportello

Little know fact:

Food stamps (EBT) can be used to buy seeds, seedlings, and plants that produce food. A lot of the people that are on SNAP do not know this. Spread the word to your less fortunate neighbors. Lend them a shovel.

rickyb

Here's just one possible idea among many.

Many urban areas where Food Stamps play a role are often called Urban Food Deserts. But what if possible options were available that also reduce, maybe even end the need for food stamp support of any kind to people in these areas?

a guaranteed income. it would eliminate the bureaucracy. even milton friedman was in favor of it. a town in manitoba, canada tried it an it worked. there was a vice article about that town. switzerland had a referendum on it but fear got in the way.

realbrown1

Farmers often get government checks. My brother-in-law for one. Far bigger than any inner city "welfare queen". Or is millionaire welfare ok? Tax breaks, farm subsidies, TIF's? Are they not taking from "hard working Americans"?
Are you jealous of your brother-in-law? It seems like it.

You then should hope that one day, I get my way and welfare in all forms would be curtailed.

BrownArmy

You then should hope that one day, I get my way and welfare in all forms would be curtailed.

100% agree.

Let's stop all forms of 'welfare'.

The only way to solve any of these problems is to get the money out of politics.

Do that, and we can begin to have a real conversation about the path forward.

bbsam

Staff member

Jealous of him? Not one bit. I like who and what I am. I don't dream of country clubs and corporate jets. My tastes are far simpler and basically fulfilled. I've got a good life and not looking to take from wealthy relatives OR less wealthy welfare recipients.

For some reason, I don't feel cheated; why do you?