What does a an On-Car Supervisor do?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
trains new drivers, handles BS safety paperwork, disciplines drivers, moves misloads during the day, and arranges meetpoints for drivers to help eachother

in theory there is a lot of responsibility but as long as nothing goes catastrophically wrong you'll never work half as hard as your drivers do

and if something does go catastrophically wrong, you're so ****ed it wouldn't matter what your degree is in anyways

And goes to deliver your stops that you wont because of ni1 dog, and almost gets bit, LOL.

northeast swing driver

trains new drivers, handles BS safety paperwork, disciplines drivers, moves misloads during the day, and arranges meetpoints for drivers to help eachother

in theory there is a lot of responsibility but as long as nothing goes catastrophically wrong you'll never work half as hard as your drivers do

and if something does go catastrophically wrong, you're so ****ed it wouldn't matter what your degree is in anyways

:rofl:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
From what I understand the requirement for a Bachelor's degree is fairly new and may be a result of the tight job market.

The on-car supervisor is responsible for their group of drivers. They deal with everything from staffing, customer concerns, on road observations, annual safety rides, training new drivers and driver performace. The on-car position is not an easy one. The initial pay is generally less than that of a FT driver with the difference being made up in MIP. My on-car, who drove for 15 years and is retiring in less than two months, was able to use his MIP to help put his three children through college and walk one of his daughter's down the aisle. He would also be the first to tell any hourly thinking of making the jump not to do it.

You might want to mention to the op that management of today and the future wont be compensated nearly as well as a management person starting just a few years ago. Going into management use to mean great healthcare premiums, not much anymore; and new sups dont receive a pension anymore from what a new on-road sup has told me. MIP has been slimmed down for middle management, which has been stated on this site a few times. Hours tend to be longer than a few years ago go when you plug that in to their salary it might make someone think twice from making the jump.

brownrod

They give PCM and tell you to look sharp and don't get cut.
Then they give sham observations which are really them coming and grabbing a misload from you and shuttling it to another driver.
then at the end of their day they take some misloads that they couldn't get shuttled properly and they DR them on the customer counter DIAD and they deliver them on their way home ( when I was pt and worked the customer counter this was a common occurance).

And then the next morning they ask you 'why were you an hour overallowed?'

As a driver this is the extent of my interaction with management.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I'm part time sup thinking about Fulltimme management. I have already started the mapp process(which is taking forever). My FT tells me its a bad job and i don't wanna do it. It requires a bachelors degree in the two slots i seen open, which i thought was strange. What entails this job title?

before you go FULLTIME...learn how to spell it..........then learn a little about grammar..."two slots i seen open"..."what entails this job title?"....you also state that "i don't wanna do it " ...you seem like a perfect candidate...enjoy, let the ineptitude continue

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The term "on car supervisor" is a bit misleading, since it implies that one has the authority to make an operational decision. A more accurate title for the job would be "operational Plan facilitator". You are presented with a Plan, and you will comply with that Plan regardless of whether it has any basis in reality or not.

btrlov

before you go FULLTIME...learn how to spell it..........then learn a little about grammar..."two slots i seen open"..."what entails this job title?"....you also state that "i don't wanna do it " ...you seem like a perfect candidate...enjoy, let the ineptitude continue

And before you respond to a post, understand the underlying question behind the post. Then, after putting your ego aside, actually answer the question by providing meaningful input. Displaying your intellectual prowess and keen sense of pointing out irrelevant grammatical errors failed to answer the question in any substantive way.But don't worry sir, next time ill hit that edit link button just for you, COPY

W

want to retire

And before you respond to a post, understand the underlying question behind the post. Then, after putting your ego aside, actually answer the question by providing meaningful input. Displaying your intellectual prowess and keen sense of pointing out irrelevant grammatical errors failed to answer the question in any substantive way.But don't worry sir, next time ill hit that edit link button just for you, COPY

Intellectual prowess? Hey man, it's the bare minimum! It was great advice! Any substantive way? More than you understand. Copy?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
On Car sups train package car drivers. They get yelled at by upper management and get railed by the drivers because their dispatch sucks. Your job is threatened everyday because UPS eats their own. They motivate through fear and threatening rather than positive encouragement. You could consolidate every route in the building into one car and it still wouldn't be enough. Some on car sups can keep a level head through the stress. It honestly doesn't seem as bad as it use to be for them since they started with home life/work life. That means you can't work 16 hour days anymore...unless it's peak. It just depends on your building...but I'm in a medium sized hub and it's not a fun job here. Depends on what you can handle. Also, your basically a package car driver on salary.

tae111

On car supervisor is the toughest, most stressful job for the money in UPS period. The only reason to take that job is if you think you can get promoted from there. If you decide to go that route then you will have to devote your life to UPS. You must put UPS first over friends, family, personal health, ect. I am not being negative , sarcastic, or trying to scare you off . I'm just telling you what you will need to succeed.

upsfiredme

before they take you in to there very dark way of living [lying,cheating,telling drivers they did not do there job good enough yesterday,that split is right next to your route[its only four inches away on the map] ,the driver that use to do this route was done everyday with the splits I give you,don`t you want to go home to your family-here a split we do not have enough drivers,the numbers are always right there is something you are doing to make your # go down, if you think for any moment in time this is not for humans if you can sleep with what I describe and it will get even better when they tell you have to set -up one of you drivers in a lie and get them fired to be accepted in to there circle even if the driver did not do the offence

when i have an on-car sup with me i make sure i take a full hour between 1205 and 105, they start going nuts calling for help, getting more stressed out than i ever get. OMG OMG we gotta get this commercial delivered before we stat pick ups go go go go take your luch later go go go blah blah blah warning letter blah

menotyou

bella amicizia
Ours is great. I think being a fired/re-hired center manager, now on-car, might have something to do with the attitude. :bigsmile2: