What If You Don't Really Own Your Car And Never Can?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wkmac, Apr 22, 2015.

1. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Another reason to stay with analog technology.

We Can’t Let John Deere Destroy the Very Idea of Ownership
  2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

3. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

4. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I think messing with ECM just voids warranty. But wouldn't surprise me if they changed it to completely disable it if tampered with.
  5. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

They are trying to get legislation passed that makes it against the law.
  6. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

You don't own the house you live in or the property it is on.

Stop paying the property taxes and see what happens.......
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Yes, you nailed it. So much to the idea of right to property.
  8. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

So if my John Deere tractor does something morally wrong , can I use the defense that "it has a mind of it's own " and since I don't really own it make The John Deere Co. pay for any damages ?
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

You do own the house and the property that it sits on.

Would you prefer the government force you to liquidate your assets to the point where the delinquent tax bill, along with any fees and interest, has been paid off?
  10. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

Actually , the gov't owns the land and they are just letting you rent it .
  11. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

12. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal

One of the inherent rights of owning a vehicle is the ability to get on one’s backside — a wrench in one hand and a grease rag in the other, and just tinker to your little heart’s desire. Since the vehicle was invented, it’s been an important facet within the community of gearheads.
    General Motors — the same company responsible for 87 deaths related to faulty ignition switches, FYI — wants to take that right away from you citing safety and security issues. Along with a few other big names.
    It’s called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). It’s been around since 2000 and started as anti-Internet piracy legislation. But automakers want to use it to try and make working on your own car illegal .
    Yes, illegal. The general premise is that unlike cars of the past, today’s vehicles are so advanced and use such a large amount of software and coding in their general makeup, altering said code could be dangerous and possibly even malicious.
    As it currently sits, there are 13 (!) large automakers on the list supporting the DMCA. Want to know who they are? Of course you do:

General Motors Company
    BMW Group
    Ford Motor Company
    Jaguar Land Rover
    Mercedes-Benz USA
    Mitsubishi Motors
    Volkswagen Group of America
    Volvo Cars North America

13. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

14. UpstateNYUPSer

I agree with the automakers and feel that anything beyond basic maintenance be done by a certified mechanic or risk having the warranty voided.
  15. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

This is more than just voiding the warranty .
    They could delete your car's software leaving you with a rather large paperweight .
  16. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Other than refilling windshield washer fluid and going to the carwash, define "basic maintenance" for us.
  17. UpstateNYUPSer

Oil changes, tire rotations, wiper blades, light bulbs (not headlights).
  18. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

I have changed out alternators, water pumps, changed belts and hoses, thermostat(old model vehicle), all rather easy and saved me $100's each time. Plus it gives me the satisfaction of doing it. Some people like doing it, some don't, it should be the owners choice.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. UpstateNYUPSer

I would prefer the driver tailgating me had a certified mechanic change their brakes.
  20. rod

rod retired and happy

How about the driver coming at you while you crossing an intersection on foot?