What job should I take

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by mr. thomas, Apr 15, 2016.

1. mr. thomas

mr. thomas New Member

Looking for views from both sides, I'm in a unique position to be hired as a either a 30 hour a week driver for ups that could become full time, or a part time rural mail carrier for my local usps which is projected to have a large amount of retirees in the next year and a half(so a great chance to become career). Looking for pros and cons, and a clearer view of which would be a better long term career path since I have this choice.hopeing to hear from people on both sides. Thanks!
  2. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

You should try a search, others have asked the exact same question.
  3. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

Neither, both are too stressful .
  4. freelabor

freelabor Member

My father in law is a mail carrier. long story short. He says our jobs are easier than his (lol). So for you, ups it is. ITS EZ.
  5. mr. thomas

mr. thomas New Member

Thanks, ive looked through the other threads.I was just hopeing for more up to date responses, not to mention most of the threads I searched through are mainly just people goofing around,just hopeing for more honest answers.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Have you been talking to Sober?
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. mr. thomas

mr. thomas New Member

Lol I guess so
  8. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

9. Do you have what it takes?
    Do you?

Everyone wants the money but can do the Job
  10. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Nothing has changed.
  11. mr. thomas

mr. thomas New Member

Haha , yes I do, hard work is a relative term for alot of people, I take pride in knowing I'm a hard worker regardless of what I'm doing,all I'm looking at right now is the long term payoff
  12. Neither one has a bright future
  13. DriveInDriveOut

DriveInDriveOut The One Who Knocks

Not a lot of jobs do.
  14. Outsourcing and automation.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. hondo

hondo promoted to mediocrity

My opinion: if you think the Republicans will win big this November, go UPS; if you think the Democrats will win, go USPS.
  16. C: adult films
  17. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Boy, that's a gamble Hondo. Anything could happen.
  18. TG43

TG43 Member

I was a city letter carrier at usps for 2 years. I was a "T.E." (Transitional Employee) which is equivalent to a ups cover driver. USPS cut our (T.E's) pay $5.90/hr (down to $16.25) and gave us a new title of "CCA" (City Carrier Assistant). I quit a couple months after working at the lower rate. I have been a ups cover driver for 2 years now.

The choice is very easy in my opinion. (If 1. You think you can afford to work a couple days a week or whatever they give you at first as a rural carrier and 2. You don't mind working Saturdays). I would DEFINETELY take the rural carrier job. Rural carriers have it made! They are in a different union than city carriers and get paid by the route, not hourly. They will often be done by 2 or 3 and get paid til 5. Being a city carrier there is a lot of walking, it's a pretty hard job, but rural is completely different...all driving. I tried getting back in as a rural carrier, but let's just say I didn't leave the smartest way and have been black listed apparently. I wish I had the opportunity you do. I hate getting home at 8:00pm. Even though usps screwed me royally, it's a better place to work than ups!!!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016