What would you do?

DS

Fenderbender
Leave it at a neighbors house.
In this other thread,Mr SignatureRequired seemed to have
the best answer to The Brown Santas` query about obtaining a signature!
Who knew...I think this post was written a long time ago and
reposted,but I aint got the time to go back in the history.It
sounds like its totally fabricated with hints of truths here and
there.Tie this dude not only mentions businessess,heck he
states his name and his bosses name too.I was tempted to
moderate out these names but decided if any of this is true,I`d like nothing more than to see this person fired.

Last edited:

cast

No matter how good of friend you think the customer is he will always sell you out. Picture this Joe is your good "friend" at the shipping dock, he always says just sign my name. One day you are behind and dont see Joe, so you sign his name. His boss tracks a pkg that was signed for by Joe on that day but Joe was sick. Next Joes boss calls UPS then guess what happens next. Never sign for customers!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Signed delivery notice will not work for some sig req pkgs. Leave a note and tell him youll be in the area til 6pm or so, and if he needs a redelivery attempt call the number.

Griff

I don't see how they could ever prove you falsified anything. 95% of peoples signatures on the DIAD4 look exactly the same, scribbled junk that you can't even read. Almost every driver I know that has a heavy commercial trip signs for their customers, the only real falsifying going on is back at the center where the oncar is messing with the timecards.

SmithBarney

Once had a customer with 8 cases of wine(adult sig req)
I was fretting the delivery, 22miles down a dirt road, no cell reception(can't
call) all in all over 1 hr for this runner. Luckily he was home, I commented
andsaid "thankfully you were here, I'd hate to come back tomorrow" he said
no problem the regular girl would just leave the wine and sign for it.. I
proceeded to tell him I would never leave wine without a signature he got a little peeved.

Now on the other hand, this same route has a daily rural pickup, and we have permission from the owner to sign and deliver his packages, but he too
lives 15 miles down a dirt road, and his property(200acres+-) is electrically gated.

It depends on the situation, I suppose, I know for a fact that many of our old timers know the people on the routes so well, that they know where they work, where they eat lunch, or where to find a brother... etc etc... so they get it done somehow...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont care how you do it, but you never actually sign for someones packages, ups legally. A signed delivery notice will work in most cases. I leave a whole pack of them for some people.
For the physically disabled who have oxygen, crippled up hand, parkinsons, old and decrepit, who look like this medicine is the only thing keeping them alive, I will get it inside their home and if asked I will print their last name and put "by and my initials". Alot of the meds sent to the elderly are sig required by the people most unable to sign. This is how I was told to do it along time ago. Dont know if it still stands, but you cant take the pkg and say, "oh well sucks to be you, if you cant sign you cant have it!!!"

DS

Fenderbender
What about storage facilities.I had one that had like
4000 storage rooms and the owner would not sign.
He gives me the keys to the units I have deliveries for.
So its up to me to driver release like 120 pkgs to units
2102 3319 2007 and 3987.Each has a lock that I must
insure is locked when I leave.It was mostly worthless
crap like beer coasters and posters and glasses,but
I didn`t like the idea of being responsible for that stop.
Anyone know the official rule for these places?

Pip

After some thought, I believe the correct answer is "Cover your Butt" follow your guidelines. If something goes wrong, then your not the fall guy.

over9five

Staff member
DS, what if the owner of unit 2102 said something was missing, and the owner said he gave you the key. You are now a suspect in a theft.

I wouldn't do that...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
As soon as the unit renter tried saying I stole his pkgs he would never see a pkg again. Can you say return/refused. Have faith in your fellow man. Can't spend your whole day paranoid about what could happen.