What's bidding mean

ihatewinter

Basically.... when a new or vacant job is posted for bid 85% of eligible employees will sign it and only 10% will have any real intention of taking the job. Half of the people that signed it will talk at length to anyone and everyone that will listen about why they will take the job. Then afterwards they will talk to the same people about why they didn't take the job. Someone in management/HR will have to contact people that signed starting in seniority order and, depending on his large your building is, that can take a while.

EVENTUALLY the person that actually wanted the job will get the call and will start working in that position soon after all of the higher seniority power trippers have had their egos stroked at the expense (time) of those that were ACTUALLY genuinely interested in the job that was posted.

In small buildings the process is basically the same only HR usually isn't involved but the trade off is you're almost guaranteed to have to listen to each and everyone one of those power trippers.
:-)

You forgot the part where they then proceed to complain why a new person got the job when they had to wait x years to get a chance to get it.

livin the dream

Listen to everyone in here. Also make sure to learn where they post the bid sheets and check frequently to see when they come out. It is your job to keep up with it, no one else will notify you. Sign every single thing that comes out. Even if you don't qualify sign it anyways. You never know if they will make an exception. I've seen it quite a few times.

in the interest of anonymity I won't talk actual time frames, but I know for a fact I won a full time bid much earlier than I should've because people above me didn't sign bid sheets. there's no harm in signing a bid. but you can't win if you don't sign

Babagounj

Strength through joy
They can alter it.
It has happened to others that I know who moved to other buildings.
Grievances were filed and got nowhere.
The company always falls back on the Work as Directed Theory.

Whereistheunion

I see people talk about bidding on jobs what does that mean?
Essentially, it's a silent BID process get a BID FORM from management fill out said form time stamp and date it Return it to management. It's important that the position applies to you such as part time only full-time only. THE WINNER IS SOLELY BASED ON SENORITY. If their SENORITY DATE is the same as yours most locals go by 1st letter of last name, which is disputable.