When Can You Retire?

Fnix

Stay single and put $1,000 per month into savings and then you dont have to worry about the pension and can be out by age 45 with a house paid for.

With our pension once you hit 65 ( I think) your pension payment decreases by the amount of your SS payment. Plus your insurance stops and you have to use medicare, unless you have your own self pay.

disneyworld

Should have said "collect a pension" in place of "retire".

Everyone was up in arms over this last night. After reading it just now, MY understanding is employees with the "Default Shedule" will not be able to collect before age 64.
Employees under the "Preferred Schedule" still will.

I hope I'm under the Preferred Schedule. It doesn't say....
So what you're saying is I'll be dead before I collect one check!!!!!!!! How the heck do we find out if we are preferred or NOT?

over9five

Staff member
Disney, by the time you and I go, they [-]could[/-] will change it 10 more times!!!

Someone said last night if anyone is Preferred, it would be UPS. But hopefully someone will verify that.

33in2togo

Hopefully not a day past 55. That will be 36 years of UPS. The first 20 were great the past few have been insane. Will need to work elsewhere. As indicated by screen name I am not really keeping track.

Sammie

You can all safely retire when you've socked away enough money
for the Even Bigger Depression that's coming our way, when there's 3 million bucks in your retirement, college savings and emergency money funds, when your house is paid off and when you know for sure that Social Security will still be here in 20 years. :anxious: Which means no more shopping at the mall, restaurants, movies or pedicures. Buy a kiddie pool and splash around in the back yard on your vacations. Make fun of your neighbors with the new cars, fancy kitchens and big mortgages. Some day they'll be living in a covered wagon on an empty lot.

But by then, when you're hobbling around bald with three teeth left in your head, will you wonder why you didn't live it up a little more when you were still young enough to enjoy it?