Why a 401(k) Will Yield You More Money Than a Pension

Thebrownblob

He makes up fake threads about how gay he is 2
Fake?
1687008631757.gif

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You has to watch these changing IRS Rules.
Forbes
Money
Wealth Management

IRS Announces Estate And Gift Tax Exemption Amounts For 2023​

The amounts exempt from federal estate and gift taxes are adjusted for inflation each year. The IRS has come out with the exemption amounts for 2023.
Gift and Estate Tax Exemption: The amount you can give during your lifetime, or at your death, and be exempt from federal estate and gift taxes has risen from $12,060,000 to $12,920,000. This means that a married couple could gift more than $25 million in assets tax free. This exemption is, however, going away in 2026 as it reverts back to the prior exemption amount of $5 million, adjusted for inflation, or $7,000,000.

For surviving spouses, the martial deduction for gift and estate taxes remains unlimited except for surviving spouses who are not U.S. Citizens. For non-citizen spouses, the marital deduction is $175,000 for 2023.

Annual Exemption: In addition to the lifetime exemption, there is also an annual gift tax exemption. That annual exemption goes from $16,000 to $17,000, in 2023 for each person you make a gift to in 2023.

oldupsman

It's corporate welfare for dummies with no financial discipline.
And that line says it all. You obviously have financial discipline since you figured all this out.
How many guys you work with have the same. Not many I worked with either.

Want to collect the most. Get out as early as possible. I'll never understand these 40 and 50 year guys.
I got out at 55. I'm 71. So far I've collected over $700,000 in pension benefits. Money for nothing,
chicks for free.

My health is excellent(knock on wood). Living 20 more years is entirely possible. Collecting somewhere
between 1.5 to 1.8 million is quite feasible. I gotta tell ya, I'm quite happy with that outcome.

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
And that line says it all. You obviously have financial discipline since you figured all this out.

Want to collect the most. Get out as early as possible. I'll never understand these 40 and 50 year guys.
I got out at 55. I'm 71. So far I've collected over $700,000 in pension benefits. Money for nothing,
chicks for free.

My health is excellent(knock on wood). Living 20 more years is entirely possible. Collecting somewhere
between 1.5 to 1.8 million is quite feasible. I gotta tell ya, I'm quite happy with that outcome.

Must be under the Western....:thumbsup:

anonymous23456

chicks for free.

You did good. I'm only 53. By the time I retire I will have to get a job at Amazon or some company like that if Amazon is not around as PVD or UPS PVD.

oldupsman

You did good. I'm only 53. By the time I retire I will have to get a job at Amazon or some company like that if Amazon is not around as PVD or UPS PVD.
A pension isn't supposed to cover the income you lost. It's supposed to be part of your
overall retirement plan. I've worked different part time jobs since I've retired. Still do.

Too many guys get this idea into their head, "Well, I'm making $100,00 a year
driving package car, that should be what my pension number is or at least close
to it. That's absurd.

It's supposed to be a safety net that makes your retirement comfortable. And that's
exactly what mine does.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
Well there are so many answers here

What if you retired in 2008 doing it Great recession or March of 2020 during the pandemic

When would you like to have take him withdrawals from your 401K plan?
My father retired in 2008. his IRA (which was mostly his 401k rolled over) bottomed out at a million. he's rather thrifty and has only taken his RMDs out. never had any roth despite my mild advisement to do some conversions. His IRA is currently 3.2 million.