Why Does UPS Exist?

Re-Raise

In the case of the stock market and being public, the stock price would plummet and someone would buy enough shares for a take over, change the BOD, and then change the management committee.

On a side note.. didn't UPS somehow differentiate between class A shares which had 10 times the voting power and were held beore the IPO and class B shares which are traded on the market.

Thus making it more difficult for an outside investor to gain a controlling interest in the company.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In the case of the stock market and being public, the stock price would plummet and someone would buy enough shares for a take over, change the BOD, and then change the management committee.
On a side note.. didn't UPS somehow differentiate between class A shares which had 10 times the voting power and were held before the IPO and class B shares which are traded on the market.

Thus making it more difficult for an outside investor to gain a controlling interest in the company.
You are correct!

But the BOD still has fiduciary responsibilities to maximize the ROI for investors.
The 10-1 ratio was to give the UPS BOD the flexibility to look at longer term ROI and to prevent a hostile takeover as alluded to by randomUPSISer.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
To me UPS seems to exist to act like some type of well fare program. I noticed that the people who need the job for the medical benefits, got it good. I've even seen people join up and request the medical because they were having a baby soon, UPS gave it to them under their first year. Over all, UPS can claim they are giving benefits and get one heck of a tax write off, that and many other things.

It all points to turning a huge profit.

RoyalFlush

One of Them
To me UPS seems to exist to act like some type of well fare program. I noticed that the people who need the job for the medical benefits, got it good. I've even seen people join up and request the medical because they were having a baby soon, UPS gave it to them under their first year. Over all, UPS can claim they are giving benefits and get one heck of a tax write off, that and many other things.

It all points to turning a huge profit.

There seem to be a lot of people that confuse their employer with a social program.

Re-Raise

There seem to be a lot of people that confuse their employer with a social program.

Not at the UPS I work for. I won't apologize for the wages or benefits I receive at UPS
because I EARN every penny of it.

I know that what I do for UPS on a daily basis helps the company remain profitable. What Orly sees is very different from the reality at my center, and that applies to management and hourly.

I appreciate the job they entrusted me with, but it is far from charity on their part.

RoyalFlush

One of Them
Not at the UPS I work for. I won't apologize for the wages or benefits I receive at UPS
because I EARN every penny of it.

I know that what I do for UPS on a daily basis helps the company remain profitable. What Orly sees is very different from the reality at my center, and that applies to management and hourly.

I appreciate the job they entrusted me with, but it is far from charity on their part.

It was meant to be taken as sarcasm, not literally. UPS people work hard and in return they earn a very good wage. My point is that companies are not obligated to provide employees (including me) with everything they desire. Many people come to UPS practically begging for employment because it is a very good job. In time, many people begin to believe that they owed something more than both sides agreed to.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Oh its true, I see it all the time. People often expect to just show up and get paid for it, well thats what it seems to me.

I expect to work hard everyday. I said from day one, to myself, I know two things about UPS so far, one its going to be hard and two I'm going to do anything I can to make it.

RoyalFlush

One of Them
Oh I see.. like more SPORH instead of a fair day's pay for a fair day's work.

SPROH is just another term for measuring production. I'm pretty sure production was part of the job from the beginning. They used to call it paid over, qualifying, etc. but it's been a part of UPS since before our time. Anyone that was hired and made knew UPS expects the most out of people. I don't anticipate that will ever change, regardless of what it's called.