"Why you wanna top out"

Broke

Anyone else hear this from their senior manager? Anytime there is a meeting with our senior, the top out question always comes up. His response usually is "why you wanna top out, you'd have nothing to look forward to" Lately though his answer has been "I'm not even topped out". Anyone care to add the dumbest thing theyve ever been told reguarding pay by their senior?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Anyone else hear this from their senior manager? Anytime there is a meeting with our senior, the top out question always comes up. His response usually is "why you wanna top out, you'd have nothing to look forward to" Lately though his answer has been "I'm not even topped out". Anyone care to add the dumbest thing theyve ever been told reguarding pay by their senior?

"Nothing to look forward to" is the official response, but I've heard some other good ones. One popular alternative is that "FedEx is going through a downturn". "We need to invest in new planes, so there is no money for raises" is another I've heard multiple times.

hypo hanna

"Nothing to look forward to" is the official response, but I've heard some other good ones. One popular alternative is that "FedEx is going through a downturn". "We need to invest in new planes, so there is no money for raises" is another I've heard multiple times.
Didn't seem to effect the CIO's 80% pay raise this year.

DontThrowPackages

That is so dumb, it doesn't even make sense. First off, why would anyone want to look forward(Wait) to become top of pay? Is He trying to say that once you're topped, you'll no longer receive raises? We all know that not to be true. In fact, I've made more than one comment to different managers that if the company continues to give the Topped raises every time the mid range gets theirs, we'll never catch up to the top. Do they know that? I get the line," the company values the employees that were here in the beginning and they will always be taken care of." Nothing to look forward to? What a bunch of skittles. I look forward to my vacations not whether or not if I'm getting apprenticeship removed. Because if you really thing about it, anyone not a top is being paid as a apprentice.

IsItME

I like it!
Very funny. I've seen some stupid managers and heard stupid remarks before but ain't nothing more stupider than that. Hey your wife is going into labor!! We are going to pull the baby 75% the way out and you'll see a good part of him. Why do you want to see the rest of him? You'll have nothing to look forward to later on.

Damon77

This is their goto line, and I've heard it from 4 different seniors for the last 10+ years. My retort is always, "Why would you want to live in a mansion, you could never dream about living in a better house?"