With 250 drivers fired, who delivered the packages?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

According to Hoa-er, Photog, all the new tools such as EDD, the DIAD, loops, and now Orion allow for a driver to be trained off the street and be 86% effective within 30 days. If UPS wanted to, they'd get by (I don't think they want to, or even need to to accomplish sending a message).

over9five

Staff member
According to Hoa-er, Photog, all the new tools such as EDD, the DIAD, loops, and now Orion allow for a driver to be trained off the street and be 86% effective within 30 days. If UPS wanted to, they'd get by (I don't think they want to, or even need to to accomplish sending a message).
It would be a PR nightmare. I agree with whoever who said they're now just trying to find a solution that will save face.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I have yet to see the answer to that. 250 drivers cannot possibly be that easily and quickly replaced, right?

Right?

However, the drivers have been terminated, aka "fired", but are serving a "working termination" under article 7 of the NMA. Personally, if I was one of those drivers, I'd feel somewhat at ease being an article 7, especially if I have had an otherwise clean record.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

However, the drivers have been terminated, aka "fired", but are serving a "working termination" under article 7 of the NMA. Personally, if I was one of those drivers, I'd feel somewhat at ease being an article 7, especially if I have had an otherwise clean record.

Somewhat at ease? Can you imagine going to work each day not knowing if it will be your last or, even worse, not being allowed to punch in?

Sent using BrownCafe App

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Somewhat at ease? Can you imagine going to work each day not knowing if it will be your last or, even worse, not being allowed to punch in?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Been there, done that, for two months....and within my first six months as a driver, no less! Knowing what I know now.....

OTOH, when I was fired for 3 weeks, and NOT permitted to work...that had me worried...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
That would be interesting, although technically illegal, at the moment, since the fired drivers are, for the moment, discharged for an illegal strike.

I was thinking the union would give notice and not be illegal. Now, would the others join in?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I think the majority of the 250 will keep their job but there will be some that will made an example of and some that both the company and the union mutually want to get rid of. We have all seen that happen when even the most ardent union guy will agree that a total screw up has used up all their second chances and its time for them to go.

Wally

Now, if the union did let 250 get the ax, that would be almost 75 grand in replacement initiation fees. (How much are they now?)... Just saying...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have all seen that happen when even the most ardent union guy will agree that a total screw up has used up all their second chances and its time for them to go.

We had this happen here a month ago. Seasonal driver fired for sexually harassing helper. Got his inside job back and would only drive as needed. Fired for sheeting packages away from the stop. Brought back on "last chance" agreement. Fired again for trying to get 22.3 to hide two packages. 2 shop stewards and BA met w/center manager but you could tell their hearts just weren't in to it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Wally

The union may have to worry about getting sued by UPS for a lot more....Not exactly a position with leverage.

Did the union call for a walkout? If not, why would they get sued? If they gave notice of a future strike, then again they are legally covered.

The problem I see is, who do you fire?