with Integrity 2011 Management Certification

I doubt if the supervisor "lies" as much as the accumulated "lies" of 12 -20 drivers that are assigned to him /her ... at least from what I have seen of the posts on here. In fact, it seems to be a point of honor and respect with many of the driver posters on here.
Seems to pretty much go both ways.
All ups is is a mirror image of life good people bad situations. Before I became a steward I didn't think people lied as much as they do but they do. The bad situations I'm talking about is entitlement. Alot of management and teamsters feel entitled to do whatever they want and most of the time they don't see what they are doing just feeling entitled.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I doubt if the supervisor "lies" as much as the accumulated "lies" of 12 -20 drivers that are assigned to him /her
OK, so we are talking off setting lies. A sup that lies once in a time period for each driver still has their integrity, but drivers that tell one, do not? Is that what you are saying?

... at least from what I have seen of the posts on here.
Ah, OK, another contradiction. WE can rely on the posts on BC to be something to base an opinion about, but only if it paints the drivers in a bad light. But for posts that might paint the company in a bad light, those posts regardless of the number, can not be relied on as a truthful cross section of the way things are?

In fact, it seems to be a point of honor and respect with many of the driver posters on here.
Just like management posters and non posters that have bragged about terminating employees? Or making life so hard on them that they will want to quit?

Seems to pretty much go both ways.

Hoax, you are correct, it does cut both ways. There are bad apples on both sides. The company rids itself of the hourly bad apples, but very few of the management bad apples hit the door. To the contrary, I have seen several promoted, some to Atlanta.

As a side note, I was beginning my career as a driver, and had a half day run. I was at the building when one of our drivers wives called in to let the center know that the drivers dad had a heart attack and was dying and on life support.

This was at 1-ish. Instead of attempting to run him down to relieve him, they opted to phone his last pickup stop, one that he normally made at around 6. Not any of the others, only the last one. I offered to go to relieve him off road, or at least help him get in earlier. even at no charge seeing as it was a family emergency. But they refused.

His dad died at three after briefly regaining consciousness. But his son was obliviously delivering, and missed a golden last chance.

I wonder if the hourly employees would have done the same had the situation been reversed.

Also, interesting how management posters hate when we paint managers with a broad brush, but have no problem painting hourly the same way.

Just some observations.......

d

Catatonic

Nine Lives
All ups is is a mirror image of life good people bad situations. Before I became a steward I didn't think people lied as much as they do but they do. The bad situations I'm talking about is entitlement. A lot of management and teamsters feel entitled to do whatever they want and most of the time they don't see what they are doing just feeling entitled.

I never thought of it as entitlement but I see your point.

I always thought of it for rationalization ... anybody can rationalize almost anything they do as being right and correct.
They also say, "My situation is different" when it really is just the same.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Also, interesting how management posters hate when we paint managers with a broad brush, but have no problem painting hourly the same way.

d

Anytime a broad brush is used to paint an entire group it is just a form of bigotry,
I always try to look at individuals and go from there. One of the things I absolutely hate is "group think" and that permeates my entire outlook and approach in life.

whiskey

Hoax, you are correct, it does cut both ways. There are bad apples on both sides. The company rids itself of the hourly bad apples, but very few of the management bad apples hit the door. To the contrary, I have seen several promoted, some to Atlanta.

As a side note, I was beginning my career as a driver, and had a half day run. I was at the building when one of our drivers wives called in to let the center know that the drivers dad had a heart attack and was dying and on life support.

This was at 1-ish. Instead of attempting to run him down to relieve him, they opted to phone his last pickup stop, one that he normally made at around 6. Not any of the others, only the last one. I offered to go to relieve him off road, or at least help him get in earlier. even at no charge seeing as it was a family emergency. But they refused.

His dad died at three after briefly regaining consciousness. But his son was obliviously delivering, and missed a golden last chance.

I wonder if the hourly employees would have done the same had the situation been reversed.

d
Management bad apples in Atlanta? Say it ain't so.

packageguy

Tieguy, I'm not putting words in your mouth, But you can
say that your side of the fence does lie, I can say this because
I am a steward, and I see it sitting in that office know what
I know. Center manager lying with a staight face. I'm not
saying we the drivers, are always right, I know we have bad apples.

UPSSOCKS

I have never lied to my supervisor. I don't like liars. I have been lied to many times. Like, when they said I wasn't assaulted. Like, when they said I stole a package that the video showed that I never touched. Like, when they said a state truck hit my car(while I was working at the airport) in the parking lot when it clearly was a rub from a feeder tire. Shall I go on? Lord know I can.

You believe you were assaulted? Now I have you figured out. I bet you have tried or will try to fake a comp claim in the future or already have. This ladies and gentlemen is a prime example of a bad employee that ruins things for all the good employees. The next time you wonder why your supervisor is treating you poorly, or where your Christmas turkey has gone think of "menotyou" Actually the screen name says it all... And you may have an issue with telling the truth, considering you believe you have been falsely accused of so many things.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I truly feel bad for the honest and ethical management people that we have.

They are truly the "silent majority" of UPS management. Unfortunately, in the metrics-obsessed cult of fear that is UPS, these guys and gals are almost continuously placed in situations where they must choose between ethics and survival.
Its tought to blame someone for choosing survival.

If I dropped my wallet in the office by mistake, I have 100% confidence that every single one of the management people that I have ever worked for in the last 24 yrs would return it to me the next day and nothing would be missing. But I check my timecard every single day to make sure that it hasnt been altered and I insist upon getting instructions in writing when I am told to do something that violates what I know to be ethical.