Working Off The Clock/Awful management (vent)

Squint

No more work for me!
Sounds to me like this is a part timer.

What I do have an problem with is a full timer coming in and working on the loading belts helping out. We had an issue with this back in the '90's. A driver would come in, load for an hour or so, then drive his route for the day. He was not a senior driver, no management personnel asked any of the senior drivers if they wanted the work and this driver was getting mega dollars as his day was stretched. He did not receive a pay cut for the loading hours he worked, he still received his driver pay. This is wrong. It takes away dollars from the Union as the company should be hiring new personnel to fill this "gap". Gawd, I hated that guy and it just gave others incentive to go up and work "off the clock" because the other drivers didn't really know what was going on.

When I did bring it to the attention of management their response was "do you want the job?" Hell no I don't want the job. I don't want to spend my whole life at this place. But I said that they should at least ask all the other senior employees if they do indeed want the job. They never did ask, they would only offer the job to the drivers that complained. I ended up talking to my BA, talked to all the other drivers about it and eventually the company caved and hired some more part timers.

My point about all this is stay informed about what is happening in your immediate surroundings. Management is always trying to get away with stuff.

laffter

I just don't understand why anyone would volunteer their time to such an ungrateful company that doesn't appreciate their staff. Not to mention I am pretty sure it's against policy.

This is my understanding of what the national contract says:
If a supervisor sees an hourly working off the clock, they are to advise the hourly to stop working. They are also supposed to pay the hourly for the time he worked off the clock.

I think the mentality behind this is... if management advised everyone to not work off the clock, they would be forced the make the necessary adjustments in every aspect of the their operation so that things work out without people feeling like they need to work before their start times.

That being said, other than when they used to send all of us home when the drivers showed up, I've never seen a sup tell anyone to stop working. I have, however, had my sup shout at me (from a distance) that I had a huge bulk stop pouring down my slide about 5 minutes prior to start. I told him it wasn't my start time yet and that it'll be O.K.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is my understanding of what the national contract says:
If a supervisor sees an hourly working off the clock, they are to advise the hourly to stop working. They are also supposed to pay the hourly for the time he worked off the clock.
I can pretty much assure you that UPSs interpretation is different! LOL

fUps

No Points For Creativity
Yes I am a P/T inside employee, no I don't work off the clock ever, some of my area co-workers do. The way I personally see it is the only thing I owe UPS is honest hard work for a paycheck...so the people who consistently work off the clock are silly bastard's, but I will never be one of those types. I am not going to file a grievance that could potentially get hourly's in trouble cause we all know UPS will try to pass the buck and say "they know they are not allowed to work off the clock lol but we do encourage it lol lol lol just kidding lol *nervous laughter followed by excessive throat clearing and avoidance of eye contact*" :censored2: bags.

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Yes I am a P/T inside employee, no I don't work off the clock ever, some of my area co-workers do. The way I personally see it is the only thing I owe UPS is honest hard work for a paycheck...so the people who consistently work off the clock are silly bastard's, but I will never be one of those types. I am not going to file a grievance that could potentially get hourly's in trouble cause we all know UPS will try to pass the buck and say "they know they are not allowed to work off the clock lol but we do encourage it lol lol lol just kidding lol *nervous laughter followed by excessive throat clearing and avoidance of eye contact*" :censored2: bags.
If your scared go to church. Otherwise file.