Would you advise others to go to UPS as a career choice?

Ant12

I'm 17, and have about 6 months seniority. I'm a loader. I plan to go to college but I'm not sure what I want to do. I wana have this job through college. I'm not a fan of physical labour but I'm sure if a 70k a year job was thrown in my face when I'm like 22 years old I would probably take it. What I'm asking is should i be a driver, or put my future degree to use? I plan to maybe go to the medical field, maybe a psychiatric nurse or something, but I'm not sure. The driver job seems decent though, and I got into UPS early. What would u do

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh....your use of the "u" in "labour" threw me off.

Work PT here while in school and then use your degree. The medical field is always looking for qualified applicants with college degrees.

Packmule

Use UPS part time to finish school, then use the degree. You will find plenty of opportunity in the medical field and the pay scales to match. Guessing you will also experience about one tenth of the BS. You might even be treated like an adult when you are 50 years of, too!

Pooter

Ups driver should always be plan B. Safety net sort of thing.

70k sounds nice but I rather take a 40-50k job and not kill myself.

Try going for a job using ur brain and not your body :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Use UPS part time to finish school, then use the degree. You will find plenty of opportunity in the medical field and the pay scales to match. Guessing you will also experience about one tenth of the BS. You might even be treated like an adult when you are 50 years of, too!

My ex is an RN and she makes more than I do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My old job was at a nursing home, some of those people make bank. $20+ an hour starting, plus after OT, benefits, pension, staying there long time, etc, some of those people have more money than they know what to do with.
Nursing homes generally don't pay well and the work is hard with the hours bad. My sister used to work in one.

I agree--nursing homes, unless you have a degree, don't pay very well at all and treat their employees worse than the patients.

somebodiesgot

Yeah the job is definitely not good compared to what kind of job they could get at say a hospital, but the one i worked at was owned by my local county for 200 years, and actually paid better than just about everywhere else. A company bought it from the county now, and it's going down a :censored2: hole, such as me getting laid off. I got offered a job back there, but took a job with UPS instead.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
HELL NO. This job is a prison sentence. Honestly, I had big plans, like many others ,what I wanted to do with my life. But I kept seeing money I could make as driver if I stopped going to college and went ft ups so Fast forward 20 years and I am miserable with management harassing me on a daily basis and no way out. Ups is like crack cocain. Great high at first then after a couple years you want to kill yourself....just my experience but honestly go for your dreams. Don't settle for ups because of the pay. It's not worth it. Trust me

somebodiesgot

Our county-owned nursing home is also in the process of being privatized.
Before I got laid off, i talked to a new aide, she said she applied 3 years ago, and didn't get a call. She applied since the new company took over, and got in immediately, and even got first shift. Mind you, just a few months ago, getting first shift was literally impossible. Tons of people left, and it's just getting worse. Most employees are 20+ years, some are 40+ years at work, not age.

browntroll

if i had the choice i would do college and ups as a side job, once i would get a degree and new job im flipping off my sups and leaving.
unless your body can withstand the abuse of physical labor for the next 30 years(estimating) which i doubt then you might be better
off in a medical field.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And don't let your dog get out and attack the UPS driver either!

nrodz

Seven years ago I had the same thoughts of not knowing what I would like to do . I like you started at 17 now 24 with one year delivering I would say this the money is great and overtime is even better but at what cost. I work close to ten hours days everyday swing driving going out blind and haveing to help those on the 9-5 list . So with everything always pros and cons my advice is this is not a job I would want my son too do but with that being said it's really up too you. Great pay awesome benefits but you do work for them and management seems like in whatever center your in will always want more and more from you and nitpicks ever chance they get.

gorilla75jdw

Turn down for what . If your soft hands can't handle it now , by all means you better get the hell out Quickly

Sent using BrownCafe App