10 point commentary

ibleedbrown

phrase in capitals has to be known word for word. explanation can be in your own words. this is all vebatim, i realize there are some grammatical errors but this is how they gave it to me and i copied it word for word, go figure.

1. STARTING UP AT INTERSECTION Look left, right and left. Check rear view mirrors.
2 WHEN STOPPED IN TRAFFIC When stopped in traffic, a car length of space is required from the vehicle ahead. This will allow enough space to pull your car around the vehicle ahead if it should stall and will give you an instant cushion if it should make a turn.
3. COUNT ONE-TWO-THREE AFTER VEHICLE AHEAD HAS STARTED TO MOVE This step is to be followed when stopped at an intersection behind another vehicle. Check rear view mirrors. Count 1001,1002,1003 to get 1 car length of space behind vehicle ahead.
4. FOUR TO SIX SECONDS FOLLOWING TIME FOR SPEEDS UNDER 30MPH 6-8 SECONDS FOR SPEEDS OVER 30MPH
This is to keep you from getting a fixation on the car ahead and to allow time to obtain and hold the proper eye-lead time.
5. EIGHT TO TWELVE SECONDS EYE-LEAD TIME This is the best way to keep your eyes ahead of your wheels and is the depth at which your eyes should be focused most of the time. Take the path of least resistance.
6. SCAN STEERING WHEELS of parked cars to see if their occupied. Look and see whether or not cars at the curb are occupied. This is the only time they are a threat. If they are occupied the driver is probably about to exit from the car or pull out from the curb.
7. STALE GREEN LIGHTS The point of decision is an imaginary line that you set up between your vehicle and the cross-walkmwhen you are approaching an intersection with a stale green light. Since you are not sure of the light., You must be sure of the point behind which you will stop if the light should start to change. This helps you get the picture.
8. EYE CONTACT When you must depend on anyone along the edge of your driving path to stay put until you are past the danger point, it is imperative that you get their attention. The horn and lights are your communication tools when you do not have eye contact. Proper use of the horn to express a friendly message seems in many instances to be a lost art. Only when you have eye contact can you expect the other person to act in a reasonably predictable manner to avoid a dangerous situation. Communicate using horn lights and signals.
9. PULLING FROM CURB Glance over left shoulder when pulling from curb, LLL (left signal, left mirror, left blind spot)
10. USE OF MIRRORS As a rule of thumb, once every 5-8 seconds.

QKRSTKR

1. Leave on car length when stopped in traffic.

2. Look left, right, left when starting up at intersections, check mirrors

3. Count 1,2,3 after car in front of you moves

4. 4-6 sec. Following distance under 30mph. 6- 8 over 30mph

5. Check mirrors every 5 to 8 seconds

6. Scan steering wheels of parked cars

7. Observe stale green lights

8. 8 to 12 second eye lead time.

9. Glance over left shoulder when pulling away from curb

​10. Make eye contact.

DS

Fenderbender
Gilbert is your online oncar sup.
Gilbert is the "G" in get the big picture.
Gilbert,welcome to the cafe'
Count one two three before you tell him
he can stuff the job and pound him aggressively .

gman042

Been around the block a few times

​10. Make eye contact.

This is the way we learned it. Sorry....... but the first version was not quite correct

ibleedbrown

This is the way we learned it. Sorry....... but the first version was not quite correct

the version i have given is the official ups version they give for integrad. perhaps they have changed it since you learned it, but the one i gave is the one they are using now.

oldngray

nowhere special

​10. Make eye contact.

This was the original and is still the current version. Easier to remember because as you notice the number of the commentary will mostly align with the commentary ( #3 1,2,3 ; #4 4 --6 sec ; #5 5-8 second, etc.)

ibleedbrown

anyone interested in the 10 point commentary should check w their human resources or driver supervisor in their building. they could be different from state to state, the commentary i gave is the exact wording and order that was given to me for integrad. i received my 10 point commentary about 5 weeks ago so i know without a doubt that mine is the correct and current commentary for my area.

some people might have a different version. here is the version of the 5 seeing eye habits that was given to me by ups.

The acronym is still All Good Kids Like Milk

1. Aim high in steering
imaginary target - baseball/dartboard
centers car in traffic lane. safe path on turns.
2. Get the big picture
how wide and deep? what's in it? objects and ground.
keeps you away from billboards. smooth stops and turns. buys time.
stay back and see it all
3. Keep your eyes moving
move eyes: front - 2 seconds rear - 5-8 seconds
keeps you alive at intersections. keeps eyes ahead of car.
scan-don't stare
4. Leave yourself an out
have escape route. take path of least resistance.
space on all four sides, but always in front.
be prepared. expect the unexpected.
5. Make sure they see you
communicate in traffic - horn, lights, signals.
establishes eye-to-eye contact.
don't gamble. use your horn, lights and signals.

oldngray

nowhere special
anyone interested in the 10 point commentary should check w their human resources or driver supervisor in their building. they could be different from state to state, the commentary i gave is the exact wording and order that was given to me for integrad. i received my 10 point commentary about 5 weeks ago so i know without a doubt that mine is the correct and current commentary for my area.

some people might have a different version. here is the version of the 5 seeing eye habits that was given to me by ups.

The acronym is still All Good Kids Like Milk

1. Aim high in steering
imaginary target - baseball/dartboard
centers car in traffic lane. safe path on turns.
2. Get the big picture
how wide and deep? what's in it? objects and ground.
keeps you away from billboards. smooth stops and turns. buys time.
stay back and see it all
3. Keep your eyes moving
move eyes: front - 2 seconds rear - 5-8 seconds
keeps you alive at intersections. keeps eyes ahead of car.
scan-don't stare
4. Leave yourself an out
have escape route. take path of least resistance.
space on all four sides, but always in front.
be prepared. expect the unexpected.
5. Make sure they see you
communicate in traffic - horn, lights, signals.
establishes eye-to-eye contact.
don't gamble. use your horn, lights and signals.

That is the 5 seeing habits. Not 10 point commentary. And the seeing habits that are being taught to are you exactly the same as they have been for many years. The 10 point commentary was different. I suspect integrad is removed from the real world.

ibleedbrown

That is the 5 seeing habits. Not 10 point commentary. And the seeing habits that are being taught to are you exactly the same as they have been for many years. The 10 point commentary was different. I suspect integrad is removed from the real world.

i was the first poster to reply with the ten point commentary on page 1, some people on here mentioned that i was wrong, i was just reiterating that some people in different areas may in fact have a different 10 point commentary. i posted the 10 point commentary that was given to me by ups 5 weeks ago for integrad. if you read the post that you commented to you will see that i did in fact mention that those were the 5 seeing eye habits.

Cementups

Box Monkey

​10. Make eye contact.

The first version posted is THE proper way but it is taught to us the above way because it's easier to learn as stated by oldngray below

This was the original and is still the current version. Easier to remember because as you notice the number of the commentary will mostly align with the commentary ( #3 1,2,3 ; #4 4 --6 sec ; #5 5-8 second, etc.)

1 = 1 car length
2 = 2 lefts
3 = count 1,2,3
4 = 4-6 seconds following
5 = 5-8 seconds mirrors
6 and 7 both start with S's = stale green lights and scan steering wheels
8 = 8-12 second eye lead
9 looks like a hook like look over your shoulder
and 10 has to digits and you have 2 eyes = eye contact

^for those who don't know the easy way to remember.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Can anyone prove that all this 10 point crap actually prevents anything? Plenty of drivers out there with millions of injury free/ accident free miles who couldn't recite one or two in a row!

​I would bet if you accounted for better turning trucks and back up mirrors, the accident/injury rate is exactly the same as it was 30 years ago.