10 questions

sundevil

I am not a UPS employee but I am doing a presentation for a Labor Mgt. course at Arizona State University and would welcome anyone that would answer any of the 10 questions below-trust me they're very basic. I just wanted to represent your views accurately. Any additional info you think is pertinent in the current union situation would also be appreciated.

If you prefer to email me off this site you may do so at: [email protected] I won't reveal any names in my presentation I am only trying to make it balanced.

1. In your opinion do you think you're properly represented by IBT? If not why? If yes, why?
  2. What is the biggest issue facing union members?
  3. Do you think the current grievance process is fair?
  4. Does your contract call for seniority based promotions exclusively?
  5. Can union members use company resources such as a conference room to meet?
  6. How often to stewards meet with mgt. ? weekly? monthly? only as needed?
  7. What is the current morale like given the fact that the APWA is pushing so hard to represent you?
  8. What is the best and/or worst thing about either the teamsters or APWA?
  9. Have the IBT done a good job of representing your interest?
  10. On a scale of 1-10 (1=poor 10=great) what are the chances of getting a contract ratified before the deadline?

DS

Fenderbender
1] no they have a long history of associating with the mafia
2] pension
3] yes
4] no
5] yes
6] Every member is entitled to have a union representative present in disciplinary meetings
7]hopeful
8]the apwa`s sole purpose is for upsers only
9] no
10] canadian employee...redundant
there ya go ...

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
1.No its all about the guys in power and their own games not whats best for members.

2To many people have bought into/been sold the idea that unions are bad for them and this country.

3 Mostly except for the 7 deadly sins that you are guilty on until proven innocent.

4Yes unless your leaving the unit to put on a tie
5 never came up

6 as needed

7 moral is down but the only place I have heard of the APWA is on this site

8Its better than trusting the company, at least there is somewhere else to turn. (IBT)

9 not in all ways ther are many things they cave to the company on that make me feel like I only represent $$ to them

10With Mr. Bussiness Unionism (aka Hoffa),very good.

I am not sure that this was not all staged by a APWA person, but what the hey. APWA pushing so hard? come on.:detective

over9five

Staff member
1. Yes, The IBT is an established union with name-power and clout.
2. Pension.
3. Yes.
4. No. Most senior people do not want to be promoted.
5. Yes.
6. As needed, pretty much daily.
7. Never heard of APWA outside of this forum.
8. The Teamsters are an actual entity. The APWA is someones imagination.
9. Yes. I have the top wage in my industry. No one else comes close.
10. 10.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Dont answer these questions who knows whose asking. This is a forum for us the employees not the outside wanna be upsers.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Knows too much for a college student. I bet the APWA is unknown in AZ. Unheard of in WI.

He's probably doing a project for a stats class or something. I'm a college student working at UPS. Whats wrong with that?

And if he is doing this for a stats class, he's got a very biased, non-random sample and anyone with some common sense will see that his conclusions are invalid.

705red

Browncafe Steward
He's probably doing a project for a stats class or something. I'm a college student working at UPS. Whats wrong with that?

And if he is doing this for a stats class, he's got a very biased, non-random sample and anyone with some common sense will see that his conclusions are invalid.
This site is for upsers, what we have in common, our likes dislikes, what we think about our bosses. What we dont do is let the customers, stock holders, and the public now why we like or dont like the company. Got it!

Cole

1. In your opinion do you think you're properly represented by IBT? If not why? If yes, why? No! Pension cuts unbelievable pathetic. Went from 30yrs and out at any age, to over 40yrs of service and age 62.
  2. What is the biggest issue facing union members? Pension, but also jobs going over seas in various areas/NAFTA.
  3. Do you think the current grievance process is fair? Issues imho are not handled well at all.
  4. Does your contract call for seniority based promotions exclusively? no
  5. Can union members use company resources such as a conference room to meet? yes, off the clock though.
  6. How often to stewards meet with mgt. ? weekly? monthly? only as needed? As needed
  7. What is the current morale like given the fact that the APWA is pushing so hard to represent you? Morale is up in that people see some hope in getting better pensions.
  8. What is the best and/or worst thing about either the teamsters or APWA? The worst about the Teamsters is years and years, layers upon layers of corruption. Hoofa's hand picked anti-corruption exFBI, Ed Keegal resigned because Hoffa jr was interferring with his investigations into organized crime in the union. Best is meeting the people I have met over the years, and fought with, exchanged info with. APWA, currently has no real best or worst as it's a process in the works.
  9. Have the IBT done a good job of representing your interest? No. See Central States Pension woes.
  10. On a scale of 1-10 (1=poor 10=great) what are the chances of getting a contract ratified before the deadline?2

sundevil

I only know about the APWA from info on this site and others. I have yet to speak to anyone of the locals so you may be right, they don't know much about it but they're not actively looking at it either.

If you feel more comfortable, my email address is: [email protected]

sundevil

I indicated in the originial post that the class is Labor Mgt. it's not Stats, that's why the questions are not scientificially structured. Frankly, I am surprised at all the paranoia surrounding my questions. If I were a subversive type I wouldn't pose as a college student, I'd pretend I was a UPS employee given that I would know the correct things to ask and say.

I am truly trying to present a accurate picture of the union's positions not trying to derail the brotherhood.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I indicated in the originial post that the class is Labor Mgt. it's not Stats, that's why the questions are not scientificially structured. Frankly, I am surprised at all the paranoia surrounding my questions. If I were a subversive type I wouldn't pose as a college student, I'd pretend I was a UPS employee given that I would know the correct things to ask and say.

I am truly trying to present a accurate picture of the union's positions not trying to derail the brotherhood.
Sundevil if you want to pass that class, i wouldnt be wasting your time on this really non issue. The apwa doesnt have a chance to decertify and take the reigns from the teamsters. You might be better off and write on the organizing drive for ups freight (formely overnite).

any122

adirondack man
Sundevil if you want to pass that class, i wouldnt be wasting your time on this really non issue. The apwa doesnt have a chance to decertify and take the reigns from the teamsters. You might be better off and write on the organizing drive for ups freight (formely overnite).
Sundevil It will not require alot of writing due to the organizing drive is failing.The UPS FREIGHT drivers no what the teamsters are all about and would prefer the APWA to represent our future.So regardless of what 705red believes he is very off key if he thinks that we will role over for the corrupt lieing IBT bullcrap.If the brown side chooses to stay with the defunked teamsters thats thier problem!But it's not going to fly over here.As far as UPS buying Overnite it's the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of Overnite!UPS hasn't a clue on how to operate a freight company.Thats why Fed X is beating the crap out of UPS.UPS spends way to much wasted time on creating a hostel working enviroment and way to little time on taken care of the people paying for the service.Thats the true story that needs to be told.IT's all about the bottom line and thats all that matters.They treat thier people like rats.Safty is only an issue if somebody gets hurt or killed.And if you work for UPS you have no other life.Because you work seventy hours a week.But good luck!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sundevil It will not require alot of writing due to the organizing drive is failing.The UPS FREIGHT drivers no what the teamsters are all about and would prefer the APWA to represent our future.So regardless of what 705red believes he is very off key if he thinks that we will role over for the corrupt lieing IBT bullcrap.If the brown side chooses to stay with the defunked teamsters thats thier problem!But it's not going to fly over here.As far as UPS buying Overnite it's the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of Overnite!UPS hasn't a clue on how to operate a freight company.Thats why Fed X is beating the crap out of UPS.UPS spends way to much wasted time on creating a hostel working enviroment and way to little time on taken care of the people paying for the service.Thats the true story that needs to be told.IT's all about the bottom line and thats all that matters.They treat thier people like rats.Safty is only an issue if somebody gets hurt or killed.And if you work for UPS you have no other life.Because you work seventy hours a week.But good luck!
Any should you be bad mouthing the hand that feeds you like that. If big mikey (eskew) reads this you might not get that june apwa campaign contribution.

any122

adirondack man
Any should you be bad mouthing the hand that feeds you like that. If big mikey (eskew) reads this you might not get that june apwa campaign contribution.
I could care less what Mikey thinks.Im proud to have a brain and a big set of balls to go with it.I would love for Eskew to ask me what i think.

krash

Go big orange
1. Yes, The IBT is an established union with name-power and clout.
2. Pension.
3. Yes.
4. No. Most senior people do not want to be promoted.
5. Yes.
6. As needed, pretty much daily.
7. Never heard of APWA outside of this forum.
8. The Teamsters are an actual entity. The APWA is someones imagination.
9. Yes. I have the top wage in my industry. No one else comes close.
10. 10.
I agree with 9/5 but would like to add that non-union competition is also viable for #2 along with outside forces constantly trying to tear down Unions via the Trojan horse method.