2021 - The Year Of The Cicada

Have you ever tasted cicadas?

• Yes

• No

• No but I'd like to try 'em!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
2021 is the year of the cicada ... it's hard to believe it's been 17 years since I've eaten cicadas.
A Southern delicacy ... think of them as Land Shrimp!
They are really good fried up (tastes like corn) but be sure to get them when they first come out when they are soft.
The taste gets more bitter as the body hardens.

The wings are really good as a snack ... bread them and fry them quickly.
Tastes a lot like fish fins.

1616544272200.png

Non sequitur

The useless bug that comes on the scene after a very long nap in order to eat and procreate. They make a lot of noice and are a choice snack for large predator birds, such as eagles.

newfie

2021 is the year of the cicada ... it's hard to believe it's been 17 years since I've eaten cicadas.
They are really good fried up (tastes like corn) but be sure to get them when they first come out when they are soft.

View attachment 332307
taste just like chicken

El Correcto

god is dead

View attachment 332307
I don’t even like those shells they leave around.
I hear them all the time, but I’ve only ever seen one in the flesh twice and each time was horrifying.

Look at those big nasty :censored2:ing red eyes like what do you even see with those, they aren’t even practical. Whatever created cicadas is clearly sick in the head. Cicadas are part of the reason I don’t believe in any moral creator and why no one should want to have to be stuck for eternity with whatever decided creating cicadas was a good idea.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I don’t even like those shells they leave around.
I hear them all the time, but I’ve only ever seen one in the flesh twice and each time was horrifying.

Look at those big nasty *ing red eyes like what do you even see with those, they aren’t even practical. Whatever created cicadas is clearly sick in the head. Cicadas are part of the reason I don’t believe in any moral creator and why no one should want to have to be stuck for eternity with whatever decided creating cicadas was a good idea.
I remember thinking like that when I was 6 or 7 ... I guess I grew out of it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

View attachment 332307
Please tell me you’re joking.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I remember the hatchings 17 years ago. I was doing a route in an older neighborhood and the cicadas were EVERYWHERE. You almost couldn't walk without stepping on one. They were hanging from telephone poles and trees. And they were so loud. It was disgusting. I noticed in areas with newer developments they weren’t so bad.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I remember the hatchings 17 years ago. I was doing a route in an older neighborhood and the cicadas were EVERYWHERE. You almost couldn't walk without stepping on one. They were hanging from telephone poles and trees. And they were so loud. It was disgusting. I noticed in areas with newer developments they weren’t so bad.

Recently disturbed ground. Killed the nymphs.

vantexan

View attachment 332307
Where I'm at in Mexico chapulines, fried grasshoppers, are a popular snack. Seen huge bowls of them down at the market. I never knew cicadas were popular to eat but they are without a doubt the most grating noise makers I've ever heard.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Where I'm at in Mexico chapulines, fried grasshoppers, are a popular snack. Seen huge bowls of them down at the market. I never knew cicadas were popular to eat but they are without a doubt the most grating noise makers I've ever heard.
When the cicadas hatch Asian people gather them up like they’re candy.