2nd job

billerz

Starting pay is 28-29 I believe.. .. 28*40=1120 with no OT... That's 58k with no OT... Add in 10 hours of OT, that's an additional $420.. 1540*52= 80k....

The only reason my math would be off is if you're not getting OT... Which would be hard to believe since every cd I know starts around 8-9, and leave about the same time as me every night around 9.. That's a 11-12 hour shift, minus your lunch... Sounds like OT to me daily..

If it's different, I'd like to know where..
That's what the top rate is for cover drivers, it will take years to make that. Look at your contract.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Starting pay is 28-29 I believe.. .. 28*40=1120 with no OT... That's 58k with no OT... Add in 10 hours of OT, that's an additional $420.. 1540*52= 80k....

The only reason my math would be off is if you're not getting OT... Which would be hard to believe since every cd I know starts around 8-9, and leave about the same time as me every night around 9.. That's a 11-12 hour shift, minus your lunch... Sounds like OT to me daily..

If it's different, I'd like to know where..
Your math is wrong. Get a contract book and read the wage progressions. Starting pay if TCD qualified is that and new drivers usually don't work every day or get 10 hrs of OT every week. In the southern supplement, you might want to learn what a contract book looks like.

You really don't know what you are talking about and you prove it more with every post. Off the street hires also start out way less then TCD qualified drivers. Most TCDs are not working 12 hours a day all week. Start times vary but most don't start at 8 am. Ups likes to push it back to 855/930 am a lot. I have 2 early delivery via their shipping contracts that get deliveries at 8 am and 830 am and my route is the exception not the rule.

Instead of being the know it all maroon you are, try listening to the guys who know what they are talking about. You don't know or have enough experience at ups so shut up and learn instead of trying to only tell yourself what you want to hear to fit the narrative in you head.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
And that's perfectly fine... See, I think you're being misguided by orions... He is building this up to be so much more cause he won't get off my ball sack... I understand I'm not driving next week.. Or maybe even this year.. And that's completely fine.. All I ever started with was there's guys that were driving thru peak with less then 6 months in the hub.. Many years ago 06-10, I worked midnight without even an inkling of a hope to drive even thru peak.. Now guys are getting thru school and on the road in less then 6 months.. To me that's incredible! Shows me things are better then they were obviously.. So that's all I ever said, and he took it and ran with it to be where is at today.. No matter what that board days, that guy is going out to stay his 30 on Wednesday.. So what does that mean? If there's more qualified, more seniority drivers, why would they call him to start training?

Again, all I ever said was things seem much better this time around.. After spending 4 1/2 years loading and didn't know ANYONE who got to go even just to school, and there's 5 people I directly with with all with less then a year in have already gone this past sept/Oct... I'm sure I'll at least get thru school someone this year, and maybe have that option to cover someone next year.. I can work with that.
How is he being "misguided " by me? He works as a driver in your building. HE would know more than you.

They must of been desperate when they rehired you from quitting last time. They certainly didn't do it for your intelligence or keen sense of observational skills.

And the new guy won't go out to "stay on his 30". He might start but if drivers are laid off over him, he won't work much. This has been won in many grievance hearing under the southern supplement. He will go to the week long school but that is it. If one driver above him files a grievance for him working while they aren't, they'll win. And they'll file if there are that many laid off according to Face.

Faceplanted

How is he being "misguided " by me? He works as a driver in your building. HE would know more than you.

They must of been desperate when they rehired you from quitting last time. They certainly didn't do it for your intelligence or keen sense of observational skills.

And the new guy won't go out to "stay on his 30". He might start but if drivers are laid off over him, he won't work much. This has been won in many grievance hearing under the southern supplement. He will go to the week long school but that is it. If one driver above him files a grievance for him working while they aren't, they'll win. And they'll file if there are that many laid off according to Face.
More like free scheduled off days (the center I am speaking of have lots of guys who like to take dead days). Come March when their income tax refund is gone and they realize they need their 1800 hours, these said drivers will work every day and the new driver will either have to be happy with 1-2 days a week, or displacing 2 part timers in the hub. Either or. This has been going on in the past 2 years. I was taking a day or two off every week last year. This year I won't he doing the same. I'm working every day, screw not getting paid.

What jake doesn't have any comprehension is cover driver/full time classification, and how seniority works when scheduling comes into play.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
More like free scheduled off days (the center I am speaking of have lots of guys who like to take dead days). Come March when their income tax refund is gone and they realize they need their 1800 hours, these said drivers will work every day and the new driver will either have to be happy with 1-2 days a week, or displacing 2 part timers in the hub. Either or. This has been going on in the past 2 years. I was taking a day or two off every week last year. This year I won't he doing the same. I'm working every day, screw not getting paid.

What jake doesn't have any comprehension is cover driver/full time classification, and how seniority works when scheduling comes into play.
Exactly. We have a few senior guys who will take 1-2 days but most work. All the TCDs are back in the hub.

I don't like taking dead days. If it isn't covered under option 3 days or vacation/holiday pay, I don't do it.

Faceplanted

I made 20k less last year taking all those "hey u want the day off" days last year. Did nothing but sleep and drink beer on those days, with a strip club adventure here and there as well. That 20k going into my retirement or towards a toy would be more useful!!!!!

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I made 20k less last year taking all those "hey u want the day off" days last year. Did nothing but sleep and drink beer on those days, with a strip club adventure here and there as well. That 20k going into my retirement or towards a toy would be more useful!!!!!

That's what I do. I max out the 401k and buy extra ups stock. My wife's salary covers the bills and retirement/education and our two rental properties cover the expenses on that so my check is extra savings. My work ethic though is that I always stay busy so I don't mind working anymore. Everything now is about getting the kids settled in life so that they can have better opportunities and experiences.

Although the toys are fun. Our anniversary was recently and my wife knows I love watches so she bought me a Breitling super avenger 2 limited edition watch. I showed her one once when we were chatting about what I like. That was a nice surprise although I rarely buy anything big unless its something we can use with the kids in mind. Like a boat or jet ski etc. I will say this about my wife, she has a motto that if we work hard, we play hard as well. She likes to splurge on stuff a lot but she earns every bit of it so we never fight over that. Her thing is if the bills are paid and kids are well taken care of and all our responsibilities are done, why not have a few nice things we will love?

And that's one of the many reasons I love her like crazy.

AutoZone

BrownPower
That's what I do. I max out the 401k and buy extra ups stock. My wife's salary covers the bills and retirement/education and our two rental properties cover the expenses on that so my check is extra savings. My work ethic though is that I always stay busy so I don't mind working anymore. Everything now is about getting the kids settled in life so that they can have better opportunities and experiences.

Although the toys are fun. Our anniversary was recently and my wife knows I love watches so she bought me a Breitling super avenger 2 limited edition watch. I showed her one once when we were chatting about what I like. That was a nice surprise although I rarely buy anything big unless its something we can use with the kids in mind. Like a boat or jet ski etc. I will say this about my wife, she has a motto that if we work hard, we play hard as well. She likes to splurge on stuff a lot but she earns every bit of it so we never fight over that. Her thing is if the bills are paid and kids are well taken care of and all our responsibilities are done, why not have a few nice things we will love?

And that's one of the many reasons I love her like crazy.
If face works in my building I'll listen to him over you any day. But then again, last time I listened to someone in my building, I ended up quitting, when I could of been driving less then 3 months later.. All I've seen on this site is more trash talk then help talk.. So face, why have I heard east and west centers are severely understaffed? And the new guy going out already did school and for training with a manager.. But they told him he's going out with another manager this Wednesday.

jbg77

Thank you.. I've seen paychecks from newer drivers.. 29.18 I think is what they're paid while driving newbies..

Well I started last year at 28.65 and came back this season and made 29.24 so if you multiply that times 2080 which is 40 hrs a week for the year it's just over 70k not factoring in overtime at all. So 80k is realistic if you start at that rate. This is the only reason I became a ptcd so I could start/qualify at the higher rate when I go ft.

Faceplanted

If face works in my building I'll listen to him over you any day. But then again, last time I listened to someone in my building, I ended up quitting, when I could of been driving less then 3 months later.. All I've seen on this site is more trash talk then help talk.. So face, why have I heard east and west centers are severely understaffed? And the new guy going out already did school and for training with a manager.. But they told him he's going out with another manager this Wednesday.
As I said one of the two centers you speak of had 10 full time guys on the side, all 8-9 cover drivers are not even on the board. They might be training the said driver because he has more seniority than the other cover drivers. I heard more feeder guys are coming back in the next cpl weeks as well, they are already crying about being back in package, and when it gets hotter they will all pass up the cpu mall routes where the trailer gets 130 degrees and you have 500 packages to deliver before trailor swaps at 3. I may or may not be one of these guys.

You are basing stuff on nothing but rumors, IM BOOTS ON THE GROUND. Heard a cover driver with high seniority crying to a full time sup the Friday of the 15th saying... please I just would like to drive a day or two a week. He hasn't drove in 2 weeks.

I really do wish u the best of luck with driving, just don't think you know it all or understand how it works, I didn't my self until 2/3 years of actual driving, no way u can based on hear say. Good luck brother

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Yeah what do I know, only been at ups over 20 years and have my own bid route. Also was a union steward for awhile.

But you know everything. Good luck with that mindset.

You only hear what you want to hear in your head to fit what you want to believe. That "new guy" could of filed a grievance for being passed over for cover driver. You don't know what circumstances could be involved.

I hope you start driving this month.

That way you can start a new thread about how you were "unfairly " disqualified because you couldn't do it, got hurt or in an accident.

I've seen a dozen or so guys like you start at ups every year. They never last.

You won't either but good luck.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Thank you.. I've seen paychecks from newer drivers.. 29.18 I think is what they're paid while driving newbies..
That's for TCD qualified.

You know where you can learn about all this stuff? In the contract and supplements.

You should try to actually read them

ChrisTheBrown

Security bro..I work between 20-28 hours between Fri-Sun..Also cover other shifts during the week, if I'm available to do so..Security place works around my UPS schedule, which is a blessing & makes it possible for me to one day go full time pkg driver. Almost 3 years now at both jobs, been cover driving since July 2014.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Security bro..I work between 20-28 hours between Fri-Sun..Also cover other shifts during the week, if I'm available to do so..Security place works around my UPS schedule, which is a blessing & makes it possible for me to one day go full time pkg driver. Almost 3 years now at both jobs, been cover driving since July 2014.
Just a warning. You don't have a proper reset period when it comes to driving if you work all weekend. Not saying you should give it all up and live in a cardboard box. But you may want to keep that on the down low.

AutoZone

BrownPower
That's a good gig then.. I think driving 2-3 days per week plus a double or 2 during the week in the hub will work out well when the time comes.. There's not a lot of jobs that pay well that work with the UPS schedule.. Again, they don't make it easy by any means to hang on, which is why I thought an employee loan program would benefit all employees.. Heard the SS talking about how the union hates these tcd positions because it hurts the employees and only benefits UPS. So they keep less fters out there and pay less benefits or something like that.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
That's a good gig then.. I think driving 2-3 days per week plus a double or 2 during the week in the hub will work out well when the time comes.. There's not a lot of jobs that pay well that work with the UPS schedule.. Again, they don't make it easy by any means to hang on, which is why I thought an employee loan program would benefit all employees.. Heard the SS talking about how the union hates these tcd positions because it hurts the employees and only benefits UPS. So they keep less fters out there and pay less benefits or something like that.
Here's a good idea, start going to your union meetings if you want to learn that too.

And read the contract for the love of God already

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Probably more like one, maybe two, days a week.

And, you better check to see what your pay rate is when you get sent inside and you also better hope you will be allowed to double-shift. Around here, displacing two part-timers to get eight hours is only available to full-time drivers.

Browndriver5

I cleaned dishes, mowed grass,worked in a factory, worked in a Drs office and now I dispatch trucks and have off at my other job whenever I'm needed to drive. It took me 5 years to find a flexible job that didn't bitch every time I showed up late because of UPS. Gotta find a place that is flexible and do enough to make both places happy until you're full time