3 40 methods

rod

Retired 22 years
I check the paint on the lugs. I look for rust, or if it is loosing there will be a crack in the paint between the nut and the rim, but I don't re-torque them every day. I look under my car everyday for leaks, broken leaf springs, or something hang down. Some times I find packages that fall under the car. In fact I look under my car after a delivery or pickup as I'm walking up to the car. It's just a glance to see if there anything that I could run over, but I don't bend down on all fours after every stop. I check all my lights every morning, but the back-up and brake lights I do in the building so I can see the reflection in my mirrors. It's not hard or any thing. It's the easier part of your job once you get into the routine. I'm not in IE, but most of the allowance is based off of averages, and not how long it really takes. If most drivers don't do a pre-trip the average time allowance goes down. I get crap from every one about it, but it's required so I do it. I try to do the best that I can to follow all the methods, and I mess up all the time, so I'm not perfect, but I don't stop trying every day. I only had on safety ride in my whole 16 years where he couldn't get me for one signal thing. Most safety rides they lie about something that I did wrong. They say they have too find so many safety violations or their not doing their job, and the center manager will make them do it again. It's sad that they fell they have to lie or they are not doing their job right. I do make some mistakes during the course of the day, and I don't mind being corrected on them. I don't like being written up for doing nothing wrong.

The sad thing is that you could do all of the above and then sometime during the day a leafspring could still break or anyone of a hundred things could go wrong and they would still say you didn't do a good pre-trip. It would be your word against theirs. You are so right about them finding something wrong just to justify their existence. I swear they could paint your windshield black so all you could see was what was in your mirrors- and they would still say "don't check his mirrors enough" .:whiteflag:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Let's say you find a broken leaf spring on your corked P10 at 8:50 before you leave. Do you think you will be reloaded and sent on your way in another vehicle or the truck repaired? I think the post trip is much more important.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
The sad thing is that you could do all of the above and then sometime during the day a leafspring could still break or anyone of a hundred things could go wrong and they would still say you didn't do a good pre-trip. It would be your word against theirs. You are so right about them finding something wrong just to justify their existence. I swear they could paint your windshield black so all you could see was what was in your mirrors- and they would still say "don't check his mirrors enough" .:whiteflag:
The "don't check his mirrors enough" is one of the biggest cop-out. At the start of any ride along I make it clear that I want them to point out any and all mistakes I make when they happen, so there is no confusion between us of it's occurrence. I tell them that I make enough mistake on my own that you shouldn't have to make any up to get make a quota. I want to use the ride make my self better with the methods. I do get useful information on how to do things better, not always but sometimes.

over9five

Staff member
Keep your eyes moving.
Move eyes. Front every 2 seconds, rear every 5-8 seconds.
Keeps you alive at intersections. Keeps eyes ahead of car.
Scan, don't stare.

some1else

I follow almost all of the methods except not back all the way to the dock and going around the outside of the truck to open the back door = retarded im not standing behind my truck on a ramp to the dock screw that!

John19841

I follow almost all of the methods except not back all the way to the dock and going around the outside of the truck to open the back door = retarded im not standing behind my truck on a ramp to the dock screw that!

I agree. It goes against the 8 keys of lifting/lowering. Having the truck a foot or so from the dock forces you to lift the package away from your power zone to place it on the dock.

mnnice

Thanks again Ryan that is just about what I needed. The cards I have are some of the same info but they have times too. Like a SP is allowed 6.5 seconds to start car from the time he hits the door to the relese of the hand brake. You pdf has it in detail how to do everything which is a big help also but if anyone has cards 5 and 10 of the set im talking about please hit me up.
I think the set you are talking about was used to train supervisors on the 340 methods. Ask your supervisor if he/she might have the set and you can copy the ones you need. I am pretty sure they we able to keep them after the workshop. It would only make good sense.

Loco170Brownie

Wow....Every method every day = over 10 everyday.

I like to think I do my best to follow as many safety methods as I can, but I know I find myself cutting corners now and then. I did have a Sup come onto my route for out of state (My area in on the line) and tell me I could do a video I was so spot on (As a side note he was following me with his wife and kid in the car with him for about 30 mins, for goodness sake even if its your life doesn't your wife and kid have something better to do!?). I did have the idea I was being followed so I was kind of showcaseing the points they want to see. :wink2:

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I check the paint on the lugs. I look for rust, or if it is loosing there will be a crack in the paint between the nut and the rim, but I don't re-torque them every day. I look under my car everyday for leaks, broken leaf springs, or something hang down. Some times I find packages that fall under the car. In fact I look under my car after a delivery or pickup as I'm walking up to the car. It's just a glance to see if there anything that I could run over, but I don't bend down on all fours after every stop. I check all my lights every morning, but the back-up and brake lights I do in the building so I can see the reflection in my mirrors. It's not hard or any thing. It's the easier part of your job once you get into the routine. I'm not in IE, but most of the allowance is based off of averages, and not how long it really takes. If most drivers don't do a pre-trip the average time allowance goes down. I get crap from every one about it, but it's required so I do it. I try to do the best that I can to follow all the methods, and I mess up all the time, so I'm not perfect, but I don't stop trying every day. I only had on safety ride in my whole 16 years where he couldn't get me for one signal thing. Most safety rides they lie about something that I did wrong. They say they have too find so many safety violations or their not doing their job, and the center manager will make them do it again. It's sad that they fell they have to lie or they are not doing their job right. I do make some mistakes during the course of the day, and I don't mind being corrected on them. I don't like being written up for doing nothing wrong.
I have had rides in the past were they were hard pressed to find something I did wrong. He told me that "nobody is perfect and that he had to find something." Thanks for the vote of confidence pal. This goes against all UPS has said in the past about "We have the safest drivers on the road."

P

pickup

I knew I recognized paid over in maine's avatar as he is the guy that lives in my head. He shows up when I get a bright ideas like " hmm, I think I can move this refrigerator down the stairs by myself , no need to call a friend" or " you know, I think this 60 amp fuse will do until I can get down to the store tomorrow to get the 40 amp fuse" He never says anything, but shakes his head like that when I get my "bright" ideas.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I knew I recognized paid over in maine's avatar as he is the guy that lives in my head. He shows up when I get a bright ideas like " hmm, I think I can move this refrigerator down the stairs by myself , no need to call a friend" or " you know, I think this 60 amp fuse will do until I can get down to the store tomorrow to get the 40 amp fuse" He never says anything, but shakes his head like that when I get my "bright" ideas.
We've all had one of them at one point in our life..Eh?