3rd Vote

O/C

Are you suggesting some sort of reciprocity.... with a non-union pension plan ??

Did they not understand....

Changing job classifications would put them in to a different pension plan??

Help me out here.

-Bug-
Bug, we already have a reciprocity agreement in place with combining union and non-union pension benefits but each plan has set formula's. Your part time years are this amount, reduced currently at six percent per year prior to age 65, the benefit amount is a percentage of your years credited and the amount of a 30 year pension "at the time you leave that plan". Your full time years are less complicated to understand (100 or plus) dollars per credit years, subject to reduction prior to normal retirement age of 65.

They add the two together when you are ready to retire and that will be your monetary benefits.

The 22.3s knew they would be under a different pension plan, but most believed that their time as a part timer would carry over into the IBT/UPS service pension. Did not read the fine print.

With the union having to maintain our Health and Welfare benefits and the stress that covering non-contributing pensioners, I am beginning to see why any prospect for early retirement is slowly eroding away. It is a game of attrition now, expect to be working into the 60's.

If your are lucky and have good genes, work past 70 1/2 and start collecting your full pension with your paycheck. I know at least one guy who did it in my local.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Bug, we already have a reciprocity agreement in place with combining union and non-union pension benefits but each plan has set formula's. Your part time years are this amount, reduced currently at six percent per year prior to age 65, the benefit amount is a percentage of your years credited and the amount of a 30 year pension "at the time you leave that plan". Your full time years are less complicated to understand (100 or plus) dollars per credit years, subject to reduction prior to normal retirement age of 65.

They add the two together when you are ready to retire and that will be your monetary benefits.

The 22.3s knew they would be under a different pension plan, but most believed that their time as a part timer would carry over into the IBT/UPS service pension. Did not read the fine print.

Finally....

Someone (besides myself) has a grasp on the situation. Good job.

-Bug-

Anonymous 12

Non active member

With the union having to maintain our Health and Welfare benefits and the stress that covering non-contributing pensioners, I am beginning to see why any prospect for early retirement is slowly eroding away. It is a game of attrition now, expect to be working into the 60's.

If your are lucky and have good genes, work past 70 1/2 and start collecting your full pension with your paycheck. I know at least one guy who did it in my local.
I can honestly say I never thought of this.

oldngray

nowhere special

That is not exactly how things work everywhere. For instance I am in Central States and your numbers are correct for one war of calculating but not if you retire on years on service credit ( such as 30 and out). Years of service is less if you are older and closer to "normal" retirement age but more if you are younger since its not subject to the 6% per year reduction. You will get whichever way of calculating is greater and the people in Atlanta are basically no help in answering questions, and when they do their information is frequently incorrect. Even something as simple as the $100 per year of fulltime credit they got wrong for me and it took them months to get it corrected ( only off $1.50 per month but should never happen with nice even numbers like we have).

QKRSTKR

And in your spare time read the provisions of Art XII, Sec 2 of the IBT's Constitution to see what happens next.
So if we vote no again and don't authorize a strike vote, which very well could happen, then the master negotiating committee can accept the rider as is.

My whole point is they could be doing a better job identifying the reason it's failed and present a new offer addressing the concerns, which hasn't been done. We get crap right back with people like stonefish just giving in, healthcare, 17i and whatever else won't be reopened.

Stonefish

So if we vote no again and don't authorize a strike vote, which very well could happen, then the master negotiating committee can accept the rider as is.

My whole point is they could be doing a better job identifying the reason it's failed and present a new offer addressing the concerns, which hasn't been done. We get crap right back with people like stonefish just giving in, healthcare, 17i and whatever else won't be reopened.

Other than healthcare and 17 I what else

QKRSTKR

The way I read it is if we do authorize a strike vote, and we do strike, the game continues.

Just remember, our new healthcare will be "unsustainable" from the mouth of the man who calls himself president of our union.

Glad we supported Obama.

Stonefish

The way I read it is if we do authorize a strike vote, and we do strike, the game continues.

Just remember, our new healthcare will be "unsustainable" from the mouth of the man who calls himself president of our union.

Glad we supported Obama.

Here is how the "game" could go the company could say if we do strike everything is off the table.

QKRSTKR

If that’s not bad enough, the Affordable Care Act, if not modified, will “destroy the very health and wellbeing of our members along with millions of other hardworking Americans,” the letter says.

The full letter, below:

———————-

Dear Leader Reid and Leader Pelosi:

When you and the President sought our support for the Affordable Care Act (ACA), you pledged that if we liked the health plans we have now, we could keep them. Sadly, that promise is under threat. Right now, unless you and the Obama Administration enact an equitable fix, the ACA will shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class.

Like millions of other Americans, our members are front-line workers in the American economy. We have been strong supporters of the notion that all Americans should have access to quality, affordable health care. We have also been strong supporters of you. In campaign after campaign we have put boots on the ground, gone door-to-door to get out the vote, run phone banks and raised money to secure this vision.

Now this vision has come back to haunt us.

Since the ACA was enacted, we have been bringing our deep concerns to the Administration, seeking reasonable regulatory interpretations to the statute that would help prevent the destruction of non-profit health plans. As you both know first-hand, our persuasive arguments have been disregarded and met with a stone wall by the White House and the pertinent agencies. This is especially stinging because other stakeholders have repeatedly received successful interpretations for their respective grievances. Most disconcerting of course is last week’s huge accommodation for the employer community—extending the statutorily mandated “December 31, 2013” deadline for the employer mandate and penalties.

Time is running out: Congress wrote this law; we voted for you. We have a problem; you need to fix it. The unintended consequences of the ACA are severe. Perverse incentives are already creating nightmare scenarios:

First, the law creates an incentive for employers to keep employees’ work hours below 30 hours a week. Numerous employers have begun to cut workers’ hours to avoid this obligation, and many of them are doing so openly. The impact is two-fold: fewer hours means less pay while also losing our current health benefits.

Second, millions of Americans are covered by non-profit health insurance plans like the ones in which most of our members participate. These non-profit plans are governed jointly by unions and companies under the Taft-Hartley Act. Our health plans have been built over decades by working men and women. Under the ACA as interpreted by the Administration, our employees will treated differently and not be eligible for subsidies afforded other citizens. As such, many employees will be relegated to second-class status and shut out of the help the law offers to for-profit insurance plans.

And finally, even though non-profit plans like ours won’t receive the same subsidies as for-profit plans, they’ll be taxed to pay for those subsidies. Taken together, these restrictions will make non-profit plans like ours unsustainable, and will undermine the health-care market of viable alternatives to the big health insurance companies.

On behalf of the millions of working men and women we represent and the families they support, we can no longer stand silent in the face of elements of the Affordable Care Act that will destroy the very health and wellbeing of our members along with millions of other hardworking Americans.

We believe that there are common-sense corrections that can be made within the existing statute that will allow our members to continue to keep their current health plans and benefits just as you and the President pledged. Unless changes are made, however, that promise is hollow.

We continue to stand behind real health care reform, but the law as it stands will hurt millions of Americans including the members of our respective unions.

We are looking to you to make sure these changes are made.

James P. Hoffa
General President
International Brotherhood of Teamsters

QKRSTKR

Amazing how Hoffa and Hall expect congress to make changes to a law already passed. Oh but not our contract because it's impossible to reopen it. Hello, pot to kettle, your black.

But bring on obamacare. How about it stone? Next contract negotiations how about we drop teamcare and put your family and mine on obamacare? Why not? If our president and congress thinks its good for some, why not all of us?