401K rules-Biden administration

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Who's in constant fear?
How dare you!

FCBcAtWVEAA-WPn.jpeg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What’s the proper wording to call up Empower and make sure I’m not in anything that’s going to be wrapped up in this tweak of the 401K rules? I don’t want my money to have anything to do with this complete and utter BS

ESG has been a pretty massive failure to this point. So guess what they do

Over70irregs

Woke is a word turned inside out to signal your inner bias. 401k is built with printer $. It is a setup before this administration. Think of it as governmental passive income for the government. Rules WILL change as needed. Plan accordingly.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Woke is a word turned inside out to signal your inner bias. 401k is built with printer $. It is a setup before this administration. Think of it as governmental passive income for the government. Rules WILL change as needed. Plan accordingly.
There will probably come a day when Roths are taxed. Government won't be able to keep their hands off that revenue.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
You really believe this could possibly happen? I’ve thought about this as well.
Certainly. With our growing national debt there will come a time when the bill comes due. That pool of money sitting in Roths is too juicy to overlook.
They recently made changes to inherited IRAs that sped up payouts and RMDs. Government wants/needs those dollars.

Over70irregs

Certainly. With our growing national debt there will come a time when the bill comes due. That pool of money sitting in Roths is too juicy to overlook.
They recently made changes to inherited IRAs that sped up payouts and RMDs. Government wants/needs those dollars.
Just think with the bug that was out the lifespans are projected to shrink. Add in the incentive to delay payout. I’m taking money as soon as I’m eligible. Also fedcoin/CBDC is a digital Icepick coming for your chest.

Next Day Error

X - Other
There will probably come a day when Roths are taxed. Government won't be able to keep their hands off that revenue.
They’ll try every avenue first before going after Roth accounts. Roth accounts are owned by people who are smart enough to have Roth accounts. Smart people vote in droves and are influential.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They’ll try every avenue first before going after Roth accounts. Roth accounts are owned by people who are smart enough to have Roth accounts. Smart people vote in droves and are influential.
Nonsense.

Roth IRA's have a 6k per year limit. It's the last vestige of the middle class who is putting their money into that.

6k is chump change to the people that will decide to tax it when the time comes. They'll start with balances over XXXX.00 and claim that it's actually the rich their taxing.

Next Day Error

X - Other
Nonsense.

Roth IRA's have a 6k per year limit. It's the last vestige of the middle class who is putting their money into that.

6k is chump change to the people that will decide to tax it when the time comes. They'll start with balances over XXXX.00 and claim that it's actually the rich their taxing.
I know what the contribution caps are on Roth accounts. I can assure you that it would political malpractice to go after Roth accounts before raising the income limits on Social Security taxes.

Notice I'm not saying they'll never tax Roth accounts early. I'm saying that it'll be a long time before they do.

AKCoverMan

I declined the one here too. I said nah, I got my IRA under control.
Problem is you cant put enough in IRA. I max out 401k and IRA both each year. All money invested in broad index funds not worried about any ESG scores thats All smoke and mirrors virtue signaling. A broad index fund will invest both in Oil companies and Solar farms alike.

Also I invest all 401k and IRA contributions as “Roth” contributions rather than “traditional“. I pay income tax up front so that when I use money in retirement it is all tax free…including all the growth thru the years.

AKCoverMan

Nonsense.

401k also has Roth option. In 2023 can put $22,500 in and if your 50 (or will have 50th BDay in 2023) can put in a total of $30,000.

Yes, it’s impossible to know the future. Seems a stretch that congress would reach back and undo the promise of Roth funds being forever tax free once initial income tax paid at time of earning the money but, look what President Biden is trying to do with student loans. Elections have consequences, surely.

But I’m not going to not take advantage of current Roth rules just based on fear of “what ifs” down the road.