4th quarter numbers look good. Too bad it's in the MIP donut hole

Bozo Bob

Too bad the good 4th quarter results won't be counted toward MIP for either 2010 or 2011 thanks to the donut hole caused by "aligning with business objectives". Our 2010 MIP was based on 10/09 thru 9/10. Our 2011 MIP is based on 1/11 thru 12/11. 4th quarter 2010 doesn't count toward either year.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm just happy the company is doing well and that the stock is heading in the right direction. Why always the "stick it to you" attitude. You'd think you were all paid slave wages.

klein

Für Meno :)
Wait until the first quarter results are in, with all this happening already in early in the quarter :

- the largest snow and ice storms in history in the US for January.
- also in Europe , early January, shutting down airports.
- major flooding in Australia, shuuting down businesses in almost an entire province.
- now most of Egypt undeliverable
- last but not least, union workers payback compensation for local 2727 - $40-50K per employee.

If I'm wrong and UPS still manages a good profit in the 1st Q - then they are doing amazingly well !

Wait until the first quarter results are in, with all this happening already in early in the quarter :

- major flooding in Australia, shuuting down businesses in almost an entire province.
- last but not least, union workers payback compensation for local 2727 - $40-50K per employee.

If I'm wrong and UPS still manages a good profit in the 1st Q - then they are doing amazingly well !
None of this stuff will even faze big brown.

pretzel_man

Too bad the good 4th quarter results won't be counted toward MIP for either 2010 or 2011 thanks to the donut hole caused by "aligning with business objectives". Our 2010 MIP was based on 10/09 thru 9/10. Our 2011 MIP is based on 1/11 thru 12/11. 4th quarter 2010 doesn't count toward either year.

Last year, we got one of the top 10 MIP awards in UPS history.
Stock grew $3 today.
UPS announced a positive outlook.

I guess some people will always see a half empty glass.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Last year, we got one of the top 10 MIP awards in UPS history.
Stock grew $3 today.
UPS announced a positive outlook.

I guess some people will always see a half empty glass.

It's 2/3 full with a slow leak.

Whats positive for the stock is not necessarily positive to for the people on the payroll. The more they save on payroll, the better the stock does in theory. Less expense = higher margin = increased EPS = lower PE ratio = increased demand and potential increase in share price.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's 2/3 full with a slow leak.

Whats positive for the stock is not necessarily positive to for the people on the payroll. The more they save on payroll, the better the stock does in theory. Less expense = higher margin = increased EPS = lower PE ratio = increased demand and potential increase in share price.

If the stock goes up $3 like it did yesterday I make 3 grand. If I get an 80 cent an hour raise, I get less than $2500 for the year. Even with the projected growth in the coming years, I see a pay freeze of some sort coming in the next contract. If the stock can grow, I'm OK with that.

klein

If the stock goes up $3 like it did yesterday I make 3 grand. If I get an 80 cent an hour raise, I get less than $2500 for the year. Even with the projected growth in the coming years, I see a pay freeze of some sort coming in the next contract. If the stock can grow, I'm OK with that.

Hate to tell you this, but I think that's as high as it will go for now.
Big down turn comming soon !
(You heard it hear first - remember that) ! :)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Analysts have higher price targets for the stock. Some folks on here have most of their futures tied up in UPS stock and they don't appreciate your doomsday predictions. Don't mention "diversify", because had they diversified, they would've taken a 75% hit to their portfolio.

klein

Analysts have higher price targets for the stock. Some folks on here have most of their futures tied up in UPS stock and they don't appreciate your doomsday predictions. Don't mention "diversify", because had they diversified, they would've taken a 75% hit to their portfolio.

"My Analysts" say the stock market is in for a major correction soon !
Do you really believe the stockmarket should be as high as it is now ? Same value as it was when all things were booming, and unemployment at record low ?
We shall see who has it right.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

I'm OK with the stock growing also, but it hasn't. Shares are virtually the same price as they were in 1999. I'm not a fan of the purple guys, but if you had invested 100,000 in them at the time the stock went public you would have 225,000 now compared to 110,00 with UPS (not including dividends of approximately 10,000)

klein

Can you imagine if you would have invested in Gold in 1999 ?

Think it was $200 an oz back then.
Now almost $1400 ! You would have $700.000 out of 100K !

moreluck

golden ticket member
UPS wraps up full funding with $3.2 billion contribution

By Barry B. Burr
Source: Pensions & Investments
Date: February 1, 2011

United Parcel Service Inc., Atlanta, contributed $3.2 billion in cash to its U.S. pension plans in the last two months, said Norman Black, UPS spokesman.
The company contributed $1.2 billion in January and $2 billion in December, he said.
As a result of the contributions, each of the company's U.S. defined benefit pension plans is now more than 100% funded, Mr. Black said. The amount of the overfunding was unavailable, he said.
The new funding “will substantially reduce contributions in the years to come,” Kurt P. Kuehn, CFO, treasurer and senior vice president, said Tuesday in a conference call on the company's financial results.
UPS didn't disclose its current pension assets and liabilities.
“UPS like most companies with defined benefit plans will experience higher pension expense in 2011, as a result of lower discount rates and the amortization of the 2008 market losses,” Mr. Kuehn said in the transcript. UPS didn't disclose the expected pension expense for this year. “The benefits of our recent pension contributions will help offset the impact but not totally eliminate it,” he added in the transcript.
In December, UPS contributed $2 billion to its pension plans, financing the funding by selling 10- and 30-year notes, Mr. Black said.
“(G)iven low levels of interest rates, we felt it was financially prudent to issue debt to prefund our pension plans,” Mr. Kuehn said in the transcript. UPS' U.S. plans had $15.3 billion in assets and $17.7 billion in liabilities, while its non-U.S. plans had $481 million in assets and $575 million in liabilities, all as of Dec. 31, 2009, according to its most recent 10-K, filed Feb. 26, 2010.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Can you tell us more about the local 2727 payback compensation? I can't recall hearing about that.