5 OG tips for rookies

Indecisi0n

giphy.gif

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Long time lurker first time poster. Sorry if I hit points already made but it is too boring to search. Creds are 25 years total 4 years PT 5 cover 16 FT driver....Also a year at the hub in Louisville. But that don't count. UPS is the only serious job I've ever held.

5 It is a damn boring job.
Figure ways to deal with that fact. My strategy is stealing audiobooks and streaming podcasts. This works best when running residentials as commercials require interaction. If you have
unlimited data on your cell keep it. We make enough money to pay for the phone outright. I
once had a rural route before smart phones and radios in cars. I almost went crazy. I had
solved all the worlds problems by noon....by 1230 I was asking myself "why did she say "I
love you" that way?". Understand that because we only interact with others on a 45 second
basis we must figure out ways to avoid feeling isolated. Don't dwell on negative. You have to
train yourself to think positive. You are making more than enough money to keep you and your family out of poverty. That is a positive.

4 Local management is not necessarily your enemy
This experience is highly variable. You might get a sup that bleeds brown but my experience
is that most just want to get through the day. My response to a sup that confronted me about being an hour over was "Do you really think I would spend a minute more in this :censored2: brown suit more than I had to?'. Local management just doesn't want to have to answer for you. Create a record of being productive. Do that and local management will fight on your side. I say that with about 23 accidents on my record and I'm still driving. Our center manager has 3 other centers to manage so our dispatch sups roll their eyes when he goes on for 15 or so minutes about production when he helicopters in to berate on things he knows nothing about. Local management can be your friend if they are sane. Which leads me to the next point.

3 Don't take anything new seriously.
I really believe that there is a department in UPS that is tasked with coming up with new :censored2:.
Bulkhead door closed...back first exceptions....rural route deliveries.......10 point commentary. Honestly....The only thing I know is all kids love milk. They tell me that a safety person is coming by tomorrow but for some reason they never ask me. Maybe it is because when I see someone new hanging out by the check in I pass by. Park my car at the dock and carry my exceptions up. Understand that local sups don't want to answer for you and they usually don't care if you comply with the new :censored2:. Cause there will always be the new :censored2: of the week. Comply with it for a week or two and it will go away.

2 BE ON TIME
This is in caps because it effects your co-workers. These are your only true allies so don't friend them up. If you are late and you can't get your air or whatever that means the guy that works next to you will have to work harder to take up your slack. UPS is a zero sum game. The things that you don't do must be done by somebody. Don't push your work off to another....it is rude and will effect you later cause we don't forget. Being on time is a simple requirement and is the sieve separates the competent from the incompetent.

1 You can never be fired for production but you will be fired for production.
Number one because it is ultimately the only tip that matters. If you are productive (ie you are regularly under allowed) then you can ignore every thing else that management says to you. You can choose to fight them. The union will back you up but that means that you have to do everything right. I'm not that guy. I shave once a week.....UPS washes my pants and my shirts....I dr sig required because I know folks would rather me do that......I purposely fail every training in diad .....I have late air because it makes more sense for me to deliver ground than break off to get air on time. And nobody says :censored2: to me. Nobody says a thing. Why? Because I produce. Ultimately, that is all UPS cares about.
How do you dr sig req packages?i didn't know you can override that

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
We all know that what happens in one center is completely different than what happens in another center.
If you had a full time center manager staring at the numbers all day you would be singing a different tune

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Long time lurker first time poster. Sorry if I hit points already made but it is too boring to search. Creds are 25 years total 4 years PT 5 cover 16 FT driver....Also a year at the hub in Louisville. But that don't count. UPS is the only serious job I've ever held.

5 It is a damn boring job.
Figure ways to deal with that fact. My strategy is stealing audiobooks and streaming podcasts. This works best when running residentials as commercials require interaction. If you have
unlimited data on your cell keep it. We make enough money to pay for the phone outright. I
once had a rural route before smart phones and radios in cars. I almost went crazy. I had
solved all the worlds problems by noon....by 1230 I was asking myself "why did she say "I
love you" that way?". Understand that because we only interact with others on a 45 second
basis we must figure out ways to avoid feeling isolated. Don't dwell on negative. You have to
train yourself to think positive. You are making more than enough money to keep you and your family out of poverty. That is a positive.

4 Local management is not necessarily your enemy
This experience is highly variable. You might get a sup that bleeds brown but my experience
is that most just want to get through the day. My response to a sup that confronted me about being an hour over was "Do you really think I would spend a minute more in this :censored2: brown suit more than I had to?'. Local management just doesn't want to have to answer for you. Create a record of being productive. Do that and local management will fight on your side. I say that with about 23 accidents on my record and I'm still driving. Our center manager has 3 other centers to manage so our dispatch sups roll their eyes when he goes on for 15 or so minutes about production when he helicopters in to berate on things he knows nothing about. Local management can be your friend if they are sane. Which leads me to the next point.

3 Don't take anything new seriously.
I really believe that there is a department in UPS that is tasked with coming up with new :censored2:.
Bulkhead door closed...back first exceptions....rural route deliveries.......10 point commentary. Honestly....The only thing I know is all kids love milk. They tell me that a safety person is coming by tomorrow but for some reason they never ask me. Maybe it is because when I see someone new hanging out by the check in I pass by. Park my car at the dock and carry my exceptions up. Understand that local sups don't want to answer for you and they usually don't care if you comply with the new :censored2:. Cause there will always be the new :censored2: of the week. Comply with it for a week or two and it will go away.

2 BE ON TIME
This is in caps because it effects your co-workers. These are your only true allies so don't friend them up. If you are late and you can't get your air or whatever that means the guy that works next to you will have to work harder to take up your slack. UPS is a zero sum game. The things that you don't do must be done by somebody. Don't push your work off to another....it is rude and will effect you later cause we don't forget. Being on time is a simple requirement and is the sieve separates the competent from the incompetent.

1 You can never be fired for production but you will be fired for production.
Number one because it is ultimately the only tip that matters. If you are productive (ie you are regularly under allowed) then you can ignore every thing else that management says to you. You can choose to fight them. The union will back you up but that means that you have to do everything right. I'm not that guy. I shave once a week.....UPS washes my pants and my shirts....I dr sig required because I know folks would rather me do that......I purposely fail every training in diad .....I have late air because it makes more sense for me to deliver ground than break off to get air on time. And nobody says :censored2: to me. Nobody says a thing. Why? Because I produce. Ultimately, that is all UPS cares about.
0.gif

mpeedy

Coverdriver did not exist until the '97 contract, 17 years ago. You coverdrove 21 years ago. Why would working in Louisville for 1 year not count for anything?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Coverdriver did not exist until the '97 contract, 17 years ago. You coverdrove 21 years ago. Why would working in Louisville for 1 year not count for anything?

If you are talking TCD then you are correct.

If you are talking cover/casuals then you are incorrect. I was a casual for 11 months when I started in 1989.