6 punches mandatory for new Tues-Sat drivers?

rellek

I was told I am going to fill a full time driving position starting Wednesday because someone is leaving for feeders. I am out of NJ and was told I would be hired for Tuesday-Saturday. However they said they are also thinking of working me Monday to. I cannot do 6 punches due to my wifes work schedule, she needs to work 2 days a week in order to keep her spot. I would like to find out or else I have to tell them I cant do it.

Fyi I have been at UPS for 11 years and just decided I wanted to be a driver this year. (i had another day job for all those years). I also get 40 hours a week by doing doubles and the doubles are at time and a half since im out of QC on one and the hub on the other.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I was told I am going to fill a full time driving position starting Wednesday because someone is leaving for feeders. I am out of NJ and was told I would be hired for Tuesday-Saturday. However they said they are also thinking of working me Monday to. I cannot do 6 punches due to my wifes work schedule, she needs to work 2 days a week in order to keep her spot. I would like to find out or else I have to tell them I cant do it.

Fyi I have been at UPS for 11 years and just decided I wanted to be a driver this year. (i had another day job for all those years). I also get 40 hours a week by doing doubles and the doubles are at time and a half since im out of QC on one and the hub on the other.
I'm not sure what the problem is. Why can't you work at the same time your wife works?

Johney

Run yourself out of hours. A 6 day work week won't last long.

rellek

I'm not sure what the problem is. Why can't you work at the same time your wife works?
Everyone has different circumstances. I have 3 kids with the youngest being 6months. We chose not to put a 6 month old in daycare. My wife bartends and makes $300 cash a day, so they can take their time and a half and give it to someone that needs it.

Brownslave688

Everyone has different circumstances. I have 3 kids with the youngest being 6months. We chose not to put a 6 month old in daycare. My wife bartends and makes $300 cash a day, so they can take their time and a half and give it to someone that needs it.
I understand that but you gotta think into the future. Quicker you get to full time the quicker you get to full scale.

And I'm assuming you don't mean you skip out on paying taxes since she's paid cash ;)

rellek

Its strictly because of the kids :) But she would not be able to do just 1 shift, this establishment in question requires at least 2 days. So 1 day lets say after taxes $150 (time and a half 8 hours) on a 6th punch at UPS vs losing $600 cash. Logically....you understand.
I see what you are saying about getting to full scale, but we need the money now; bills wont wait for full scale :p
So your saying just do it until I get my 30 days and then tell them I cant do 6?

Also as an accountant married to a bartender I have to turn a cheek and let the bartenders do what they do. They have meetings a few times a year where all of the bartenders get together and rent out a hall to discuss what they will claim come tax time.
Messing with them is like messing with the Illuminati!!!

Brownslave688

Its strictly because of the kids :) But she would not be able to do just 1 shift, this establishment in question requires at least 2 days. So 1 day lets say after taxes $150 (time and a half 8 hours) on a 6th punch at UPS vs losing $600 cash. Logically....you understand.
I see what you are saying about getting to full scale, but we need the money now; bills wont wait for full scale :p
So your saying just do it until I get my 30 days and then tell them I cant do 6?

Also as an accountant married to a bartender I have to turn a cheek and let the bartenders do what they do. They have meetings a few times a year where all of the bartenders get together and rent out a hall to discuss what they will claim come tax time.
Messing with them is like messing with the Illuminati!!!
I understand the plight I just can't believe you can't figure out something for 1 day a week. I mean that's all we are talking about right?

Good luck in all of this and just to be honest I'd be very surprised if you're working 6 days every week. It's considered extra work and they'll have to offer it from the top down. Hopefully some of the higher ups want the OT.

PT Car Washer

I understand the plight I just can't believe you can't figure out something for 1 day a week. I mean that's all we are talking about right?

Good luck in all of this and just to be honest I'd be very surprised if you're working 6 days every week. It's considered extra work and they'll have to offer it from the top down. Hopefully some of the higher ups want the OT.
This summer we have been having staffing issues with PT working Saturday Air. No problem, just use FT drivers at OT for the day. Never a shortage of OT whores. Myself included.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I understand that but you gotta think into the future. Quicker you get to full time the quicker you get to full scale.

And I'm assuming you don't mean you skip out on paying taxes since she's paid cash ;)
The government gets enough.