7 day punch

Ashell

Our hub has had trouble with staffing, so several of us have been double shifting most of the year. Eventually they told us you can work 6 days but not 7 days a week. We kind of just put up with it because we are happy to have the extra hours as part time. They could probably just work their staff a little longer but they want to run the sort less obviously so we both benefit.

Now that peak is coming, or pretty much here, its worth hashing out. All double shifting should go by seniority. No one can triple shift, but as long as its not more than 2 shifts a day, you can work 7 days. Or that is the way it always has been in the past. My sort had a girl double shift this week and she got her 6th day, and her shift works Saturday which is 7. I showed up to work their shift. They had a need, they had double shifters. They told me I couldn't work because of the 7th day. I plan on filing seniority.

The contract hasn't changed for over a year. Management is saying,"call the union. they will confirm it." This can't be true.

PT Car Washer

Our hub has had trouble with staffing, so several of us have been double shifting most of the year. Eventually they told us you can work 6 days but not 7 days a week. We kind of just put up with it because we are happy to have the extra hours as part time. They could probably just work their staff a little longer but they want to run the sort less obviously so we both benefit.

Now that peak is coming, or pretty much here, its worth hashing out. All double shifting should go by seniority. No one can triple shift, but as long as its not more than 2 shifts a day, you can work 7 days. Or that is the way it always has been in the past. My sort had a girl double shift this week and she got her 6th day, and her shift works Saturday which is 7. I showed up to work their shift. They had a need, they had double shifters. They told me I couldn't work because of the 7th day. I plan on filing seniority.

The contract hasn't changed for over a year. Management is saying,"call the union. they will confirm it." This can't be true.
As long as one person in the past have worked 7 days you can hit them with "past practice". Also by contract UPS must exhaust all means before working supervisors. In my building UPS has allowed triple shifters and seven day work during Peak. It is the rare individual who will work that long and hard for any amount of money after the first week.

Ashell

some of us are not pretty enough to bang a sup for that promotion, or just have morals. For some people its the only way to get by, or have something extra. While other people get handed higher paying jobs because of their affiliations, not their works or merits.

I have done it, because that is what I have to do. Withholding OT during peak is just crappy because we all expect it.

I had talked to the fulltime sup about it, and she said it might be allowed during the last 2 weeks of peak. If its allowed ever or at all, its definitely not, not allowed.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Your post is a little confusing.

My sort had a girl double shift this week and she got her 6th day, and her shift works Saturday which is 7. I showed up to work their shift. They had a need, they had double shifters. They told me I couldn't work because of the 7th day. I plan on filing seniority.

Is the other persons (scheduled) shift.... Tuesday - Saturday ?

Are you (scheduled) Sunday - Thursday ?

It makes a difference.

As long as one person in the past have worked 7 days you can hit them with "past practice".

Nice thought.

But, nope.

A "one time occurrence" doesn't constitute a past practice.

-Bug-

PT Car Washer

Your post is a little confusing.

Is the other persons (scheduled) shift.... Tuesday - Saturday ?

Are you (scheduled) Sunday - Thursday ?

It makes a difference.

Nice thought.

But, nope.

A "one time occurrence" doesn't constitute a past practice.

-Bug-
I meant that if others were allowed to work 7 days it would be "past practice". How about exhausting all means before allowing supervisors to do hourly work?

RealPerson

Ask your Steward, call your BA, Read your Contract. Everywhere is different.
In my supplement (central) 6th day is time and a half. 7th day is double time.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I ha've done it, because that is what I have to do. Withholding OT during peak is just crappy because we all expect it.

I had talked to the fulltime sup about it, and she said it might be allowed during the last 2 weeks of peak. If its allowed ever or at all, its definitely not, not allowed.
That's strange as normally on Black Friday we get a district wide e-mail that says "All restrictions on overtime are now waived until Jan 1."

Inthegame

They are always working. Even more so during Peak. The Union gives the company a free ride during Peak.
Really? Sups working on a sixth or seventh day and work opportunities denied to a seniority employee?
That would get paid yesterday. Anyway, the OP wasn't talking about sups working.

RealPerson

If you are observing sups always working....

That means, you are always filing grievances.

And cashing in.

Right ?

-Bug-

Just depends on what supplement you are under and what situation your building is in.
We have such high turnover at my building / shift, Sups are always working and are allowed to under the Central.

Inthegame

Just depends on what supplement you are under and what situation your building is in.
We have such high turnover at my building / shift, Sups are always working and are allowed to under the Central.
They are allowed to work in the Central only if they are performing "training, demonstration or safety education". If they're "always" working it is clearly beyond training or temporary and should be grieved. The only way to slow the abuse is to file, file and file.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Exhausting all means.

Inadequate staffing, is not "exhausting all means".... without documentation.

People keep quitting ? Hire more. Not a valid excuse.

Too many people called off ? Start calling in the next shift, with a steward present.

Running a Saturday and Sunday sort ?

And only half (that signed up) show up for work ?

Now
.... the company has valid reason.

Act of God.

Power goes out ?

2 feet of snow ?

There are going to be bonafide exceptions.

-Bug-

RealPerson

I've been in the Central for 35 years +.

What contractual language, are you talking about ?

(Aside from a bonafide emergency)

-Bug-

It was posted somewhere on a thread before, and I do not know the specific language. If i get time I will look it up.

I believe it is called graduated work ...

Trust me I nearly passed out when my former steward told me his grievances were being thrown out because of it, so I looked it up a couple years ago.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It was posted somewhere on a thread before, and I do not know the specific language. If i get time I will look it up.

I'll save you the trouble of looking for it.

Because, it doesn't exist.

I believe it is called graduated work ...

Newbies are given a "graduated" work load to bring them up to speed....

But, it certainly doesn't afford the company to perform bargaining unit work.

Trust me I nearly passed out when my former steward told me his grievances were being thrown out because of it, so I looked it up a couple years ago.

I don't know what you (think) you read, or what that steward was talking about.

Trust me.... there has never been any language like that.

In case you don't have a contract book handy....

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-