-7 in Anchorage...operations affected?

rod

Retired 22 years
The northeast is going down to single digit highs by the end of the week.

That is gonna suck, it's no -42, but it still will suck :cold:

You think that's bad--- wait til you see what we (in the upper central states) are sending you right after that. You better start knitting extra thick longjohns now!:surprised:

Thursday nights forecast is for lows of -13 to -19 with wind chills of -25 to -40. Anyone want to cover for me? Free money for the first taker.

BadHABITS

KRFD - Thursday, January 16, 2009 @ 7:00 am -24 degrees fahrenheit (central time zone / 8:00 ZULU).
cold.JPG

barnyard

KTM rider
This past week, we had overnight lows in the -25 range and daytime highs in the -10 range.

It wasn't too bad.

I normally wear 200g thinsulate boots, bought a pair of 1000 gr on Sunday (they did not arrive till Wednesday, though.) I wore some of the new style base layer stuff, browns, motorcycle overpants (Firstgear), a non UPS knit top overy my UPS shirt, then, my vest and jacket. On my head, I had a knit hat and one of those balaclava things that turns into a hood.

I was very comfortable doing resis and kept the door open all day (not while traveling to and from the route). While I was doing businesses, I was over-dressed and took off the overpants and alternated between the liner jacket and the lighter raincoat. Refrigiwear gloves worked perfect, but will not last very long. I wear mechanics gloves with knit liners when it is above 0. I doubt the Refrigiwear gloves would last more than a month of daily wear, but they are warm and kept my hands dry (sometimes, really warm gloves will not let the seat evaporate fast enough, making your hands wet, yuck.)

I lost about 10 lbs last week. I did not have the energy to eat big meals and am not very big on snacking.

Temps were below zero from Monday eve till Friday at about 3p.

TB

It didn`t feel too bad outside but the equipment was dropping like flys. Gelled fuel,frozen brakes,gearboxs on trailers frozen solid.

upsgrunt

When I returned to the building yesterday there was water all over the floor. I guess a water pipe burst as there was no water available in the bathroom or at the drinking fountain. I saw no one on site to fix it, but the reload was starting. I got out fast- 35 people and no available toilets equals a bad deal. We kept trying to explain last week that you have to keep the thermostat at more than 32.4 degrees to prevent that- especially when all the overhead doors are open for ANY length of time, but that is just nonsense I guess. At least they had an excuse for no car wash.

blue efficacy

Albert Gore was right! It's hotter than hell out due to excess amounts of CO2 from cows farting, people drinking beer, and dead people rotting. We had the 2nd most amount of snow in recorded history.
Typical conservative not seeing the big picture!

"Global warming must not exist because it's really cold here today!"

drewed

Shankman
48 degrees lastnight, the last couple days were worse then the -7 operations wise all the snow and ice on the ramp ontop of that freezing rain gave us a 25 acre ice rink, everthings warmed up and and the ice is gone but 60mph winds