a question about being "questioned"

Coldworld

60 months and counting
have any of you been called into the and questioned or "interrogated" about something you did, but dont have any idea about it, or wasnt aware you did anything wrong...how do you handle these types of situations? We have folks who go in many times with situations that if I was a manager I would fire them, but seem to get their jobs back...what are the reasons that the union has such a good track record in these situations? There was driver that totally SMASHED in the front top of the truck, but said he didnt know how it happen, it was something that the preload did not do. He was fired, but guess who ends up walking back to work a month later...amazing, how does this kind of thing happen???

A

anonymous6

Weingarten rights.......ask if you can have a shop stewart present. if they say no, then you don't have to say anything.

correct me if i'm wrong

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I guess it comes down to the company having to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was you who did something, and Im sure the union can "twist" things around just like the company can. The union does have a great track record of getting employees jobs back....in every possible situation. But it seems to be a double edge sword. They can help the person who never has a problem then something ends up happening, or they can help "that" employee who has an issue everyday and really enjoys making the company and all employees lifes miserable. Theres good and bad everywhere.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
My suggestion is dont volunteer information. Keep your answers to two words, yes and no, and only those if you really have to. Anything else is a problem later on.

Then there is the issue of representation in your meeting. Take them with you. You do have that right, and in the vast majority of the cases, management will already have them there, or tell you to get them for the meeting. But even in those cases, yes and no only to direct questions.

If they are fishing and ask open ended questions, tell them you dont understand what they are asking, be more specific. Never ever ever volunteer information that is not specifically asked for.

You do realise that many times when this happens, they are just fishing for information they can use, right? So why give it to them? Make them get the information on their own.

d

feeder53

ADKtrails
They couls question me all day, I will tell them the truth and if I had done something that was not right I would tell them myself. This actually works to take away any ammo they have on a case against one. I have never been fired from a job and do not intend on it now. Question away.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
53, I never said not to be truthful, fact is, telling the truth no matter what is of utmost importance. They can fire you for lying.

My point is this. If they ask you if you wrecked the truck, and you did, the answer is yes. Pure and simple, nothing more.

If they are fishing for answers, why give them information they are not directly asking for?

d

stringerman85

I agree...Sometimes the more you talk, The deeper the hole you dig....And thats not just towards UPS, Thats towards all situations, Including the law..Police etc....

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
My suggestion is to never make mistakes always do extra pick ups dont hurt yourself and remember every single thing you do each day. carry a pen and paper so you can write down reminders all day.

tieguy

Banned
53, I never said not to be truthful, fact is, telling the truth no matter what is of utmost importance. They can fire you for lying.

My point is this. If they ask you if you wrecked the truck, and you did, the answer is yes. Pure and simple, nothing more.

If they are fishing for answers, why give them information they are not directly asking for?
d

To withhold information you think they do not have can turn your suspension for an accident into a discharge for dishonesty.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
To withhold information

But Tie, to withhold information if not asked..............

If you are fishing, why should I fill in the blanks. If you want to know something, ask and I will give you a yes or no answer to your questions. You ask, I will tell. Nothing more, nothing less. Not hiding anything, but also not volunteering anything either.

d

lonsmith

Don't go in without knowing what the meeting is about. Your steward has the right to know what a meeting is about beforehand and to discuss it with you before you talk to management. Insist on your rights.

DS

Fenderbender
A bit off topic but along the same line...Way back when I was a rookie,I had a pkg for this company and it looked like a personal delivery for a girl in the office.The receptionist was a bitch and told me to go to recieving.I went to the back and rang the bell a good 5 minutes...no luck.I decided this box was a send again and drove to a huge shopping center that was part of my route.When I came back to the truck,the pkg was GONE....I had it locked up tight,I swear.I called the center and told them what happened.The next day was just like you say,an interrogation.I told them exactly what happened.It turns out it was a $5000 fur coat.I guess they believed me because no more was said about it.A few weeks after I talked to the girl who the pkg was for,and I could tell she was lying when I asked her if she got her package.
true story.The next day my p800 was outfitted with one of those security locks on the bulkhead(the ones that lock from the top).

tieguy

Banned
But Tie, to withhold information if not asked..............

If you are fishing, why should I fill in the blanks. If you want to know something, ask and I will give you a yes or no answer to your questions. You ask, I will tell. Nothing more, nothing less. Not hiding anything, but also not volunteering anything either.

d

Danny,
not agreeing or disagreeing. just stating there is a risk when you withhold information. Thats one of those decisions you will have to make at the time.