address corrections, drivers what do you do??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How do you guys and gals approach address corrections out on route? Do you zap the shipper with them, or just leave the matter alone?

How do you guys and gals approach address corrections out on route? Do you zap the shipper with them, or just leave the matter alone?
If the address on the package appears to be just a typo, I merely record it as the correct addy. IF it is a case of a business that has moved, yet some of their suppliers still haven't changed the addy in their system I hit 'em with a correction as well as telling the receiver that they need to let the shipper know the new addy AGAIN. I record PO Boxes as a PO Box.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Same here, but after a few weeks, I do start zapping them. Seems that gets the address fixed with the shipper, much faster than they seem to be able to notify them.
Guess it depends on my mood.:surprised:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It depends on the situation. I have one consignee that, due to a 911 numbering change, has had his address changed but has refused to update his address with one particular shipper so I do it for him in the DIAD. Businesses have 2 weeks to change their address before we start charging for this service. I have a Gamestop on my area that has pkgs coming in that have the wrong address but I was told not to touch these as they are a multi-gazillion dollar account and we have to bend over backwards for them, so you can see how the rules apply to some but not to others.

rod

Retired 22 years
Correct me if I'm wrong but is an address correction $10.00 now? Wow! That seems like it could be a real cash cow.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
QVC is another account where it doesn't seem to matter if I do address corrections on. I have one house on a major road that never has their house number on their label. So PAS/EDD always loads this stop in the wrong section every time. I have done address corrections in the DIAD for years, QVC has never fixed it on their end. I'm guessing they aren't charged for AC either.

The Address Correction Fee is a lot higher on air packages. I think that is where the ten dollars charge is. Ground is less.

BigBrownSanta

There are some shippers that I automatically address correct. At the top of the list are the strap shippers. You know, the ones that never tape their packages, but instead use two thin straps to hold their packages together. A certain door to door cosmetics company comes to mind as well as anyone who ships boxes of paper.

Sometimes the shipper will make the correction, and sometimes they won't.

I think address corrections must be a negotiable item during the contract signing process, because some shippers never correct the addresses and continue to ship to the wrong address.

barnyard

KTM rider
I agree that it depends on the shipper and receiver. I AC all air. I figure that when I am on vacation, cover guys might not know which businesses have moved in the last 6 months. I gently remind the receivers that they need to remind their shippers and add, "When I am off this route, another person may not figure out that you have moved and may have the piece returned....." That usually gets their attention.

We have Best Buy that moved over 10 years ago that still gets stuff addressed to their 1st place. There is only one Best Buy we deliver to out of our center, so we know where to bring them....

My preloader loads things with obviously bad addresses because we do not have a clerk at our end of the building.....

TB

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have one stop that's been bad for a couple of years. We even called the shipper and they still don't change it. I keep nailing them with charges.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Correct me if I'm wrong but is an address correction $10.00 now? Wow! That seems like it could be a real cash cow.

Uhm, no. Only delivery intercept, which will automatically address correct ANY package at a physical scan.. Otherwise manual address corrections are not charged....of course if the package is returned, it ain't coming back. :)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We have a street that is Main St (and addressed as such) but is also part of a hwy system. We had 1 cnee (major cell phone company) that thought their address was such and such Hwy #, but it was actually a main st address. I had told them and the regular driver had told them repeatedly what their addr. was and they would never fix it with their corporate office. Now normally this really isn't that big a deal because this is a fairly small town. The problem arises because we do have hwy addresses in the same range but they go to a different route, causing the other rte driver to break off her route to del this stop. After months of dealing with this, I had 15 pkg for them and told them that it was a 10$ per pkg charge to A/C (150$ to UPS) that got their attention, and it didn't hurt that that particular week we had one of the BIG bosses here and I sent the boss over to have a discussion with said Cell phone company. Never had another problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DiadDude

Uhm, no. Only delivery intercept, which will automatically address correct ANY package at a physical scan.. Otherwise manual address corrections are not charged....of course if the package is returned, it ain't coming back. :)

Delivery intercept does not A/C a package, but simply instructs you not to deliver the package and return it to the center.

About Address Correction from UPS.com

Address Correction: If UPS is unable to deliver any package as addressed by the shipper, or if the package has an incorrect or incomplete address, UPS will determine and make reasonable efforts, to be determined in its sole discretion, to secure the correct or complete address. An address validated by UPS may be incorrect or incomplete for purposes of completing delivery and may be corrected by UPS. If the correct or complete address is secured, UPS, at its sole discretion, will attempt delivery, the shipper will be provided with the correct or complete address, and an additional charge will be assessed.

Address Correction
  • All UPS Air Services and UPS 3 Day Select: $10.00
  • UPS Ground: $6.00

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Delivery intercept does not A/C a package, but simply instructs you not to deliver the package and return it to the center.

About Address Correction from UPS.com

Address Correction: If UPS is unable to deliver any package as addressed by the shipper, or if the package has an incorrect or incomplete address, UPS will determine and make reasonable efforts, to be determined in its sole discretion, to secure the correct or complete address. An address validated by UPS may be incorrect or incomplete for purposes of completing delivery and may be corrected by UPS. If the correct or complete address is secured, UPS, at its sole discretion, will attempt delivery, the shipper will be provided with the correct or complete address, and an additional charge will be assessed.

Address Correction
  • All UPS Air Services and UPS 3 Day Select: $10.00
  • UPS Ground: $6.00

I'm a friend/T 22.3 and I do clerical. Intercepts are prerecorded in UDC AS400 upon scanning. I'm fairly certain that this is not a regional thing, either. When a clerk scans an intercept, the information's already there. Instead of manually performing the DCR, the intercept does it's magic. Neat little system, actually.

GoBrown???

i usually don't zap them because there is no incentive for us drivers, we give the company an extra 10 bucks if they can't give us some more.

ups79

i usually don't zap them because there is no incentive for us drivers, we give the company an extra 10 bucks if they can't give us some more.

Why??? Its because you work for them at the salary they pay you. What if they decided since you are doing less than expected, they are going to pay you less then you expect.

DiadDude

I'm a friend/T 22.3 and I do clerical. Intercepts are prerecorded in UDC AS400 upon scanning. I'm fairly certain that this is not a regional thing, either. When a clerk scans an intercept, the information's already there. Instead of manually performing the DCR, the intercept does it's magic. Neat little system, actually.

Since this thread was from a driver's point of view, I was speaking of the intercept behavior in a DIAD. That does not do an A/C, it just instructs the driver to bring the package back to the center where you work your magic.

HazMatMan

I have a question. How did an address correction get into a package car to begin with?? If the preloader reads the address and something doesn't look right wouldn't the package go to a return clerk for correction??

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have a question. How did an address correction get into a package car to begin with?? If the preloader reads the address and something doesn't look right wouldn't the package go to a return clerk for correction??

This is one of the problems with the PAS/EDD System. Now the Preloaders are taught to load by the PAS Label, they don't have the route knowledge like they used to when they would know what street went on what Package Car. When I bring a sendagain EAM back to the building, I have to ask a Driver, PAS Dispatcher, or OnCar what Route it will go to. EAMs can't go through the PAS System, it doesn't recognize them.

barnyard

KTM rider
If the preloader reads the address and something doesn't look right wouldn't the package go to a return clerk for correction??

Only if the preloader feels like pulling the package and if there is a clerk to do the AC. I have 1-2 ACs everyday that the preloader should be checking.

TB

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
First you have to have a preloader that actually pays attention to the addresses (mine loads pkg's that I can't scan or read the Z#, or read the address,) and then you have to have a clerk that will actually do their job. Our morning clerk will send pkg's back to preload and write on the pkg good addy even though the preloader knows that it's not good. We have 1 preloader that has actually been there for more that a year (6 yrs now) and he is the only one that knows what he's doing as far as preloading. I love delivering either one of the routes he loads.