Advice Needed

klein

Für Meno :)
I never understood the need for a dishwasher, seems to me , if you just used the space that dishwasher takes up, for drying purposes. It would work just as well . Even when you put stuff in the dishwasher, you still have to handle it and even prewash it if you left it sitting there. Almost the same amount of work handling that you would spend washing it.

But I digress.

I like the sterilization a dishwasher produces, compared to hand-washing.
Mush hotter water, and stronger chemicals (soap).

klein

To use her as another shot against us is disrespectful of her memory. Typical for you but still disrespectful. RIP

That was not a shot towards anyone - just saying she had enough money and lots of it, but not everyone plans for the end... !

Now, you're just being an IDIOT !

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That was not a shot towards anyone - just saying she had enough money and lots of it, but not everyone plans for the end... !

Now, you're just being an IDIOT !
​And you didn't need to mention that she had money. It's nobodies business and you brought it up anyway. It was disrespectful.

P

pickup

MY niece , as you know, she just got "baked and shaked".
They took care of the body (took it from the hospital, to the "bakery", and bottled it).

Was $1000 even. Pretty fair price.
MY brother (her dad) arranged that, because , yeah, at her young age of 35, she didn't think about it.
Not because of money, (she was richer than most of you are ). Just to the left is your shot towards us.

BUt, I don't feel getting that arranged either, heck, who knows where I'll be ending my last breath ?
Might not even be in this city I currently live, so no sense arranging it.

You didn't need to add anything more than the fact that the cremation was not a money issue. You then went to take a shot at us.(than most of you are, indeed., not richer than you?? but most of us,, come on)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I found this on the IRS website:

If you don't feel comfortable with giving substantial gifts directly to your recipients, the IRS allows another avenue. You can, for example, pay someone's college tuition or medical expenses on a gift tax-exempt basis - as long as you write the check directly to the institution. This is generally considered a qualified transfer with no dollar limits.

BUt, I don't feel getting that arranged either, heck, who knows where I'll be ending my last breath ?
Might not even be in this city I currently live, so no sense arranging it.

Knowing you it will be somewhere that you forgot you were not on the internet and you ran your mouth about someones inferiority to their face and they promptly beat your dumb ignorant ass to a pulp.

Anyway as Dave likes to say..........................

Enough of the Saturday morning tax quarterbacks. Obviously you need to speak to a pro. I'm sure there's more way to handle this idea than we know about and odds are it will be legal too. My thought was are you absolutely sure you want to live in that house for that length of time? Any itches to move around that come up might interfere with your intentions.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You know what happens to kids? Just when you are living kind of close, good old what's his name will get a job transfer to Pocatello, Idaho and they move away. You can't keep up with them, you just hope they keep coming home to visit.

Definitely talk to a tax person. You don't want your daughter to incur any additional taxes from a 'gift'.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Upstate, if you give your daughter more than $13,000 per year you will probably run into the "gift tax." Since it's a rental property there are probably some tax implications for her too. You, and your daughter, would be smart to talk with an accountant before making any decisions.

When to File Gift Tax Forms - SmartMoney.com

That is hilarious....................... :rofl:

"Mama always said, Life is like a box of sperm candy. Say, you're not one of those heathen Americans are you?"

images

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm on the fence on this issue. Do you start giving the kids the money now when they are starting out or wait until you die? I'm thinking after putting 3 through college they can wait for the rest. Me and Ma have plans. Tough call. My wife talks big about being a snowbird but if grandkids come along I'll be shoveling the sidewalks on a duplex just like Upstate.

klein

Gee, wasn't it trinke and Islandfox complaining about Canadian taxes ?
We don't have gift taxes, or inheritance taxes, nor gambling (winning taxes) !

I was thinking you could just buy her house under your name, then leave it to your daughter in your Will, but you have that stupid inheritance tax, too.
Seems you can't escape taxes there, unless you are a Romney or some other super rich person !